I need to vent!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Update:

I went to Napa and bought some PB Blaster and soaked the chit out of it. I waited about an hour and went at it. Well, my socket, wrench, and hammer came out on top. I got it off! :D

I also picked up some high-temp silicon hose so that if worse comes to worse I can connect the tubing. Now, if I could do something about the 90 degree garage temps. :mad:

just get a big fan and put it under the car. you'd be surprised at what the littlest of fans can do. i personally would have just cut it off if it frustrated me that bad and bought a new one. no big deal... :)

I have more good news; I was able to get the other piece out of the tube by using a handy pair of vice grips. It was in there like a SOB. All that is left is the stupid clamp.

Good idea about the fan. I will definitely give it a try.

and the vent continues..

Well, I finally got everything ready install the Magnaglow x pipe and wouldn't you know the darn thing fits like chit!! :mad: :bang:

First off, the studs that are supposed to go into the holes of the cat back's collectors are spread too far apart. It looks as if I will need to 'bend' the studs or make the holes bigger by drilling. This is not a huge deal but the worst problem is the pipes that go up to meet the headers are too close together. I used a pry bar to force the pipes to line up and get the collectors started. I know that if I put the nuts on those header studs that it will force the flange up and shear off the threads. I'm really pissed! I finally get it ready to install and the darn thing doesn't fit. I'm going to call Magnaflow and see if they will let me return this piece of crap!

HoofnIt said:
I have to stay emissions legal so I am replacing the stocker with a Magnafllow catted X pipe.
i laugh when i hear this from people...if your state is truly strict on emissions, you may pass the smog test by having the cats, but if the inspector goes by the book you WILL FAIL A VISUAL INSPECTION even with a catted h/x pipe....the car came stock with 4 cats...and to be emmisions legal, it has to have 4 cats on it...not 2...4...your better off going O/R and switching to the stocker for inspection...or having a friend at an inspection station :nice:

Anthony

In AZ things are somewhat lax. We can run LT's w/o any problem. But the appearance of cats must be maintained.

Back on topic, I installed Magnaflow's o/r x-pipe & cat-back, and had no problems on my brothers 2003 GT.

The only negative thing I have heard/seen is the exhaust tips don't like to stay aligned.

When you installed the x-pipe, did you connect it to the cat-back first, then the headers? That's what worked best for me.
Scott

When you installed the x-pipe, did you connect it to the cat-back first, then the headers? That's what worked best for me.
Scott

I couldn't actually secure the cat back flanges due to the studs being too far apart.

As far as having 2 or 4 cats to be legal, I'm not certain but as long as you have a carb # you're safe. I'm not certain many stations know that there is 4 cats on our cars.

I'm trying to get a hold of the place where I purchased the unit and see if they can send me another. If not I will have to try to bend the pipes. The driver's side pipe needs to go out lateral and rearward about 1".

Man, your problems sound the exact same as mine were. I got the PB Blaster, had the a passenger side header stud start to come out (when I noticed, I got my dad to hold it from the top), and had problems with the smog line. Ahh, complications, aren't they great? :p

Did you check the part# on your pipe? Could be the wrong one? One reason I got Bassani, is so I wouldn't have to deal w/ fitment issues, but I haven't heard of problems w/ Magnaflow's stuff.

Where did you get the silicone hose? I'd like to cut about 6''-8'' off of my smog line when I have to put the stocker on for emissions, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

The x pipe is Part # 93333. I called Hottexhaust, the place where I ordered it, and he is going to ship another one to me and then I will ship this piece of chit back; they're even picking up the shipping. I thought by purchasing a Magnaflow product that it would be top notch. I couldn't expect better customer service than that. It's a good thing I don't use this as my daily driver.

I tried Checker, Pepboys and Autozone for the silicone hose and none of them had it. I got mine at NAPA and it is good for 400 deg.

My new clutch is supposed to be here later this week so I might as well just drop the tranny while I wait.

i know you already found your PB blaster, but in case anyone else is in need of this wonderful product, i've seen it at Menards home improvement stores too. great stuff. its saved me on many mustang projects (i found out just how good it was when i tore apart a 189,000 mile jeep cherokee with my dad...everything was rusted to hell on that pile)

as far as being emissions legal, visual inspections in the chicago area are cool with you as long as you have 2 cats - they've never bothered me for not having the full 4. they usually give a print out at the station i go to that tells you how high your car is on the pollution index and mine was actually lower with my new setup. goes to show that street legal doesn't always give you cleaner results!!! i'd rather b.s. them about the 2 cats then get a number that's high and fails the car. at least around here, the visual inspection doesn't seem as important as the numbers the test spits out...so long as they see some cats under there you're okay. hell, the people at the stations here once hooked up the sniffer to only one of my friend's exhaust pipes. lets just say they aren't the brightest state employees....and they certainly don't know which cars came with 4 cats and which came with one or two. just my $.02.

now that i'm done rambling, one last thing...how much did you pay for your magnaflow???

HoofnIt said:
I paid 425.60 shipped for the Magnaflow S/S catted X pipe. I thought that was a great price, hopefully it will be a great product.
Sucks that you're having trouble with it -- it seems to be hit or miss with exhaust components, sometimes they fit great, sometimes it sucks. I got my Magnaflow catted H-pipe for $235 (someone tell me why the X is worth almost $200 more?) and it fit great. :shrug: Good luck, though, hopefully you can get it all working right.

Dave

Well, the Flowmaster cat back went right in. The way my luck runs sometimes I really have to wonder how I get anything done. But, on a good note, they are sending out another and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will go in without a hitch. On another note, I took the transmission, bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate out this morning. This was my first time removing a tranny so I am proud of myself. Now I just need to make certain it goes together right. My new SPEC 1 should be here any day now.

(someone tell me why the X is worth almost $200 more?)

I don't know why the X is more than the H, maybe it has something to do with the demand?