I think I've decided...

herooftheday97

Mar 30, 2005
While I wanted the GT for a long time, I think I'm going to get a 2006 V6 Mustang. While it may not be as thrilling, I think it fits my needs best.

For these reasons:

1) Better gas mileage, thus lower gas costs.
2) Lower insurance.
3) I drive about 62 miles a day round trip for work.
4) It's cheaper and I really don't want to pay $29,000 for a car.
5) I can mod the v6 and make it faster if I want to.
6) I'm not a racer, nor have I ever been. I won't take it to the race track, thus I have no need for all that power except to floor it once in a while on the freeway and even then I'm only talking about 100-120 mph but I don't want to do that that often due to cops patrolling the streets. Plus the v6 can do that speed anyway.
7) Overall, I felt more comfortable in the v6. The GT felt a lot stiffer and seemed a little too much power than what I would care for, like or even need.
8) The GT is way overpriced now due to demand.
9) I don't really want to be on a long waiting list.
10) While I like fast cars, I'm not really "big" into them and the v6 would be that great cruiser car that can go fast. It's that happy mix of cool car with some speed.

So, while it would be cool to have the GT, it just seems like overkill when I look at my needs and what I would be doing with it. The v6 just seems to make more sense. Besides, it would allow me to have more money overall ($6000!!!) for other things like mods.

I would like to thank everyone for their imput over the last few months while helping me to decide.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you've made a very good decision. But if you spend that $6k on mods, you've proven me wrong. You're not a racer and you don't need to spend a dime on the V6 to enjoy it, so just do so. For what you intend to do with it an unmodded car works just fine.

Remember, for every dollar you spend on mods you get back less than half if you're lucky.

scottie1113 said:
I think you've made a very good decision. But if you spend that $6k on mods, you've proven me wrong. You're not a racer and you don't need to spend a dime on the V6 to enjoy it, so just do so. For what you intend to do with it an unmodded car works just fine.

Remember, for every dollar you spend on mods you get back less than half if you're lucky.

You're definately right. I probably won't spend money on the mods but that option is there and if I did, it won't be $6000 worth. Just something to help increase the power for a reasonable price, but I this car will just be the cruiser that I can floor every once in a while.

It's my #1 choice with the Pontiac Grand Prix right behind. If I can get a GT or a GTP (doubt it) for a good price (less than $25,000) then I might go for that considering all the features that come with those cars. They are nice but don't look as good as the mustang.

scottie1113 said:

I think the only thing I'd add onto the v6 is a dual exhuast. Everything else would be fine.

Been there!

Here is my take on this. Your mileage may vary, this is just a personal opinion...

We bought a V6.
I drive almost as much as you do to work - the mileage is pretty OK.
The insurance is less money - will be much more so once my son comes online at 16.
I really really really like the way my 'stang rides as is. I've gone from a small car that handles OK to a bigger car that handles better (not as great as the GT, but rides OK going to and from work).
I don't race, either - I've only been known to let it loose on an open highway from time to time - and even then, nothing drastic.
The vert V6 was still much less expensive than the GT coupe, and LOTS less expensive than the vert GT.
I wish the V6 had driving lights like our Escape (low in the bumper and small) - the GT's fogs aren't my particular style. I like the clean look in the grille.
I'm actually fond of the base model's wheels.

On the downside:
The GT has that wet-your-pants acceleration - nothing like it.
The GT will resell better and at a higher price in most instances.
The GT handles better in the twisties.
The V8 is a bit smoother than the V6, if only by a bit.

Overall, they're all great. It's hard to lose.

Pick your budget, your long term cost options, and desires - then balance it out and go get what would make you the happiest in the long run.

Title of thread; "I think I've decided"

That is a funny one :) You are trying to convince yourself that the V-6 is for you - but I'm thinking your gonna get the GT :spot: :)

Gas mileage and insurance is a major factor? I get 19.4 city and 26.5 hwy. in my GT - miniscule difference with the V6. Inurance? The GT costs me $54 / month (of course, the 16 y/o is going to cost you 2,000+ / year for the V6 or V8 and I wouldn't let a 16 y/o drive a GT). On that note, I would get a 4 cylinder car that is a couple of years old to let the teenager learn on - don't want bondo do you - and it would save you over 1,000 / year just on insurance.

You also mentioned the V6 felt more comfortable and the V8 and had a "little too much power than what I would care for, like or even need" That's a good one - you know you liked it!

Just playing devils advocate here :) Good luck -- -- and enjoy your new GT :cheers:

05Stangster said:
Title of thread; "I think I've decided"

That is a funny one :) You are trying to convince yourself that the V-6 is for you - but I'm thinking your gonna get the GT :spot: :)

Gas mileage and insurance is a major factor? I get 19.4 city and 26.5 hwy. in my GT - miniscule difference with the V6. Inurance? The GT costs me $54 / month (of course, the 16 y/o is going to cost you 2,000+ / year for the V6 or V8 and I wouldn't let a 16 y/o drive a GT). On that note, I would get a 4 cylinder car that is a couple of years old to let the teenager learn on - don't want bondo do you - and it would save you over 1,000 / year just on insurance.

You also mentioned the V6 felt more comfortable and the V8 and had a "little too much power than what I would care for, like or even need" That's a good one - you know you liked it!

Just playing devils advocate here :) Good luck -- -- and enjoy your new GT :cheers:

You're right, I would like the GT instead of the v6. It would be way more fun, but having a $500 or more monthly car payments just doesn't work well. I mean, I could afford it, but money would be tight and I wouldn't be able to live in my comfort zone. With the v6, I could at least have a decently fast car and have the extra money. We all can't get what we want but maybe in the future. But for now, as much as I want it, I'm not a die hard speed fan, so the money means more to me than the GT.

Nothing wrong with buying a V6. I rented a 2003 V6 while on vacation and for just driving around town and on the expressway it was fine. the '05 motor is better so I'm sure you will be happy with it. You can always jazz it up later if you want to. Better to have the V6 and money in the bank than a GT and broke.

Hear hear!

Your reasons for the v6 are exactly the same as mine. Just as good of a car with a little less power (that I don't need) and will save me a ton of money.

350-70ish a month...or 520 a month. Then insurance. For what, 80 more HP?