I think my idler pulley is getting ready to die *Video*

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
My car has only made this sound in the past when its cold. Today it was 50* outside and still making this sound. The best I can tell it sounds like its coming from the idler puller, but I have only been around a vortech for the past couple months....

What do you guys think? If it is the pulley, does anyone make a set of billet alum pulleys to replace all 3 of them????

Listen for the pulsing squealing sound ..

View attachment 328513

• Sponsors (?)

It's the belt tensioner for sure. About 90% certain. Mine made that same noise, and it only made it while the car was cold - took about 15 mins of driving to go away. But would still show up when warm once and awhile.
Make sure you buy a ford one to replace it.

Find a long screwdriver or prybar or something like that. put one end on the tensiner and your ear to the other end. You might have to hunt around a little with it but this will make it much easier to pinpoint where the moise is coming from.

UPDATE:

To make a long story short my tensioner seems to be maxed out and something is squealing pretty loud under the hood. I think its the idler pulley between the blower and the alternator. I called vortech and the said I should be using a 107.5 belt instead of a 107.3. So tomorrow I am thinking about picking up a new belt, tensioner, and idler pulley to help the problem.

Pics of what I found...
DSC01633.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

DSC01631.jpg

Anyone?

Im not sure what you mean about 107.3 not being the length of the belt.
i have been reading posts at MPH and they say to run a 107.3" belt with a 3.2" pulley. Vortech says I should be using a 107.5 though... what should I do?

There have been many threads pertaining to the 107.3 thing... It's a NAPA part suffixt, which is 107-5/8th which is the 1073 part number. a 1073 belt works fine! I really don't know of anyplace that sells a 107-1/3" belt anyway :shrug:

Best bet on finding the right size belt is go into the store and have them take you to the belt rack and let you look, because they will take forever to find the right one if you go hunt/peck style (looking in computer, walking back, lather rinse repeat lmao).

IMO.......fix the idler, and then order an 8-rib :nice: :rlaugh:

yeah, I have the napa belt now, and the suffix is 1073. I did a search and everone on MPH said to use a 107.3 inch belt. You are say I should really be asking for a 107 5/8" belt?

The 8 rib kit seems to be a little more than I need right now. I have no slipping problems with the RR pulley.

MPH thread...