I want anyone's opinion of Delta Current Control.

hossdoc

Nov 20, 2007
Weatherford, TX
I am looking at several fan options for my '71. I like the looks of the MarkVIII fan with the Delta Current Control module. I have seen that some of you are running this setup. However, I was hoping to speak with someone directly at Delta and am unable to find a phone number. I have also read some comments about Delta in a related link which were not complimentary of their customer service or product reliability. Some even listed failure and worse, vehicle damage as problems. Please give me your opinions good and bad before I spend my hard earned money. I would also be interested in alternatives.

David

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have any personal experiences with DCC, but, if you haven't done so already, search the 5.0 forums a lot of guys there are using them. IIRC the guy that makes them is a 1 man operation doing it in his spare time.

Jim

It is awesome! A lot of the 5.0 people use them with taurus or mk8 fans and they work flawlessly. I really like them because the temp probe reads from the outlet of the radiator. This way it negates whatever waterpump you have, how well your radiator gets rid of heat. It really isolates the fan aspect to compliment the rest of the system. It isn't easy to get ahold of Brian Baskin since he closed down his services to just a few forums but pm or email him. His support, ease of install and how well the fan controler works is great. You will probably get a lot more feedback if you post in the 5.0 section.
Kevin

Neat how this comes up now anf then. I found this item in an internet search in 2003-2004 I think. THey were alot less expensive then...put one on the 68 EFI renagade car my friend in RIchmond owns. He bought a Spal fan. I guess it was the biggest one they make cause at full speed you could not scream loud enough to converse in front of it. Man, that thing was a MIRACLE. I post that thing up every time I see a fan question. It ramps the fan speed as a function of temp. THe hotter it gets, the faster it goes. Sitting at idle for over half an hour it never got over 50% speed (guessing by the sound)
You can tie in an A/C circuit, and can be set to run at 50% no matter what. Very cool.
I am very interested in the failures cause up until I read this I had never heard of a single one. I can only imagine a failure would result if you exceeded the current capacity of the device. Haven't looked recently, but I think the larger ones went up to 50 amps? Thats a lot of current in a car. Or if a fan failed and the winding shorted and someone didn't use an inline fuse? That would do it. I'd like to hear about any failures if anyone has any links. So would Brian I would assume...

I am sometimes leery of electronics myself so I also wired a relay to a switch just in case of failure. I havn't had to use it yet and thus far I am very impressed. My temps are 180 constantly. I have underdrive pullies and AC working against me. With this controler I was able to use my 85amp 2g alt with underdrive pullies and power my viper fan at a light. Though my lights dimmed but it did that anyways before my efan. Most controlers will spike your electrical system when they kick on which is pretty rough on everything else. This one will ramp up as needed. It also dynamically speeds up the fan as needed unlike most other controlers which wait for your car to hit a temp then kick on... all the while your motor is on the verge of overheating while the fan is trying to cool it down. When it does cool down it kicks off or on low and the cycle repeats. Another great fan is the dual spal which you can purchase a splitter to run them both.
Kevin

Barnstang,

Sorry I don't want to be spreading ugly rumors that aren't true. Google "Delta Current Control." I really did take this with a grain of salt, which is why I posed the question here. Sounds like only positive comments so far.

No need for any apology. This is a free exchange of information and ideas on this forum. We all would want to know about product problems. I am not defending the product, I have no vested interest. I (and others I'm sure) would like to see all info good and bad on a product.
I did find one forum in the Google search that someone paid for their unit and never shipped, then the web site disappeared. And someone else posted that it was down for awhile. Like was posted previously, the service side may be a little lacking and shipping slow. But you should not have any major problems. I remember we got ours pretty quick, but the demand today may be pretty high. Let us know your experiance if you get one.

I used the Delta Unit with the MarkVII fan & it worked well for almost a year & then burnt out. The unit started to smoke & somehow fried. I would guess it would have something to do with the fan causing the problem & not the unit itself. I believe when I initially ordered the Delta unit, it took along time for Brian to ship it. Busy guy & I had to send him more than a few emails to finally have him ship it. I'm sure the wait time isn't that bad now. This was a few years ago.When I went with a new Spal fan I decided to use the Spal controller & have been happy with it. You probably can't go wrong with either.