If Your Dropping An 89 Lx What Size Front Tire And Wheels???

Jersey Joe

I remember blowing that Monkey's ass
10 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Bloomingdale N.j.
full?d=1406518246.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies guys, my plan is to drop it about an inch or so, unfortunately the fronts I believe are 17x9 with 245/45. I guess I'll need different front wheels ? On a slightly different note how well do 275/40 or 255/45 work on the rear without rolling wheel lips on a 17x9 wheel ?

Thanks for the replies guys, my plan is to drop it about an inch or so, unfortunately the fronts I believe are 17x9 with 245/45. I guess I'll need different front wheels ? On a slightly different note how well do 275/40 or 255/45 work on the rear without rolling wheel lips on a 17x9 wheel ?

I just installed lowering springs on my '89. I have 275/40/17 rears on 17x9's and no rub. Lip is not rolled. Fronts are 245/45/17 on 17x8's. I have a slight rub on the front of the fender. I think I can trim it slightly and clear.
2015-12-12 14.26.38.jpg

image.jpeg
Mine are 275/40 in rear with a slight rub if I have people sit in back and go over a significant dip in the road. Wheel wheels are stock and I even have the quad shocks. I had removed them and decided to reinstall. I had no issues with/without them. Nitto's run slightly narrower than some other tire brands. You might have a slight rub in front if you use the 17x9's when wheel is completely clocked inwards(rub will occur on the inner sidewall if at all). Here's another front pic with coilovers and more than a 1" drop

I run 17x9 with a 245/45 on mine with only the slightest rub at full lock. Frpp b-springs, so 3/4-1" lower than stock. Mines also been hit in the front so it may not exactly be sitting where it should be, and has the smaller pre-91 fenders/spats.

With the 275/40/17 rears are there any problems with tire contacting the tail pipes, seems kinda close now with just the 245 tire. I have 2.5 inch stainless flowmasters but I know some guys also run 3". I'm sure you guys have seen these questions a million times but I don't wanna throw money away on stufff that ain't gonna work. It seems one thing leads to another to another. wanna lower the car some but don't wanna get new wheels, If I were getting wheels I would want a 5 lug that would lead to a brake conversion with the 5 lug conversion. I just went through that with motor parts, I decided I wanted some rumble rumble and ended buying a trick flow top end kit, well that led to new water pump, radiator, fuel pump, silicone hoses, timing cover, injectors, headers, x pipe...well you get the idea.

Reactions: 1 user
a 275 on a 17x9 should clear the exhaust, where you might (probably will) run into trouble is the quad shocks, 99% chance you'll either have to flip them or toss them.

fwiw, i used to run a rear 275/40 nittor dr on the same wheels as my current 245/45's and the fit great, but those nittos run narrower than most (about the same section width as my 245's). my current track setup is a 26x11.5 et street thats about 3/4" wider than a 275 and i had to take a bfh to the inner fender in a few places and adjust/ding the tailpipes (mac catback, complete pita to make the after-axle clearances repeat).

17x8 up front 245/45 17x10 275/40 out back . Having the 17x9 isnt an issue up front. I run eibach pro kit up front with no lower iso and team z drag springs in the rear.Quad shocks are history with 275s .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451414817.653960.jpg

Rear. I run eibach pro and 275/40 17 9" rim bfg sport comp 2's. They run wider, fender rolled but No inside rub or clearance issues. - quad removed.
Test fit showed fat chick in rear seat would cause the lip to cut into the side wall... so roll your rear fenders

Front 245/45 17x8 coil overs but set to same height as the eibach was...

b1 lake.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Yea I've seen some say no problem some say quad goes, Toolow91 did you mess with the fender lip or beat in the inner well at all?
Haven't touched my inner fenders but my quarters I rolled before I painted the car . But the tire is no where close to touching it .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Rear. I run eibach pro and 275/40 17 9" rim bfg sport comp 2's. They run wider, fender rolled but No inside rub or clearance issues. - quad removed.
Test fit showed fat chick in rear seat would cause the lip to cut into the side wall... so roll your rear fenders

Front 245/45 17x8 coil overs but set to same height as the eibach was...

b1 lake.jpg
I'm going to raise my front coilovers a little myself I think a 1/4" would be perfect on mine. Help even out the stance a little better. I'm running the TeamZ rear springs also.

I'm lowered on SN95 Tokico shock and spring kit with a 255 17X9F and 275 17x10.5R and have rubbing on front and did have it on the rear until I bfh'd the inner fenders and rolled the lips on the rear. I have ISO's on the rear and not the front. I may add them on the front this winter
ftbelvoirpier4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I ran 17x8 ford wheels with 235/45/17's up front and it still rubbed a tad. Raised the car up a bit with the Mach 1 springs and no rub at all, so i'd prob go back to 245/45/17 next tire swap