Ignition upgrade time.

5.0_GT_kid

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Largo, Florida
Well I figure it's about time that I upgrade my ignition since it's about time for a tune up and I might as well upgrade.

I got my eye on this kit here http://www.performancedistributors.com/5.0ignition.htm and I've heard alot of good things about it. I also am going to get new spark plugs andI may sidegap and index those...anyone out there have instructions on how to do this? Also I will be advancing my timing, shooting for about 14*.

Do you guys think that with the mods on my car I will gain much from this swap? All my mods are listed here...http://www.tbmustangs.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=2

Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

wytstang said:
Nope you will benfit nada, zip, zelch, on a stock motor. Buy some Taylor (like I did got rid of my MSD 8.5's) or the Moroso wires, I was going to get those but had a copoun for the taylors products.

Well on their website they claim almost a 10hp gain on a stock motor, and one of the Mustang mags got about the same results as they claim :shrug:

I'd think it has to be worth something, but guess we'll just have to see.

ive had the kit for a while and its almost time for my tune up and i will be buying from performance distributors again....and you do feel a difference...car runs much smoother with it...i compared the msd blaster coil and the screamen demon coil and i liked the demon coil better....car felt much responsive...do yourself a favor and buy the kit

Yea i think the difference people see is just that the old stuff is so bad it improves it to where it should be. Now go get factory ford replacements and put that on. Then get the Livewires and all that other stuff and put it on the next day and tell me you still see that BIG of a difference.

Any replacement will be good enough for what you have until you start making a lot of power. Like mentioned above...+400.

nmcgrawj said:
Yea i think the difference people see is just that the old stuff is so bad it improves it to where it should be. Now go get factory ford replacements and put that on. Then get the Livewires and all that other stuff and put it on the next day and tell me you still see that BIG of a difference.

Any replacement will be good enough for what you have until you start making a lot of power. Like mentioned above...+400.

Well I know it's time to change mine out, so might as well go and upgrade while I'm at it.

BTW...post that Pro 5.0 shifter for sale on Tampa Bay Mustangs, I think there is someone over there looking for one.