I'm almost scared to ask this..

mach1972

Jul 15, 2003
I am planning on installing a carpet and upholstry kit in my 72 soon and decided to kind of look things over tonight.

I was looking at the bolts that hold the seats down since I will have to remove them and didn't notice any nuts holding them from under the car. I looked on both sides and it's the same thing, my first thought was the po did a quick fix on the floor pans and just welded some in over the old ones but it seriously doesn't look like a hack job. Both pans are identical, maybe the undercoating is hiding the bolt heads?

Am I stupid or is there something to this?

Thanks,
Josh

• Sponsors (?)

mach1972 said:
I am planning on installing a carpet and upholstry kit in my 72 soon and decided to kind of look things over tonight.

I was looking at the bolts that hold the seats down since I will have to remove them and didn't notice any nuts holding them from under the car. I looked on both sides and it's the same thing, my first thought was the po did a quick fix on the floor pans and just welded some in over the old ones but it seriously doesn't look like a hack job. Both pans are identical, maybe the undercoating is hiding the bolt heads?

Thanks,
Josh

Not stupid...you knew where to look for the nuts. Take a few less sips off that Bud Truck! Ask yourself...is there undercoating there or is it just dirty? Then look again.

67coupe351w said:
Pull the rubber plugs out of the floor pans, the seat is bolted to the seat riser, the nuts are up inside the floor.

I sincerely thank you, I'll sleep easier tonight knowing that! Thought I might have a po horror story on my hands here.

Yeh you wont see them by just loooking or glancing, you basicly have to put a socket with an extension through the floorboard to get to the nuts.....1/2 inch maybe :shrug: you will see some rubber "plugs" you have to take off to get acc4s like mentioned above :banana:

mach1972 said:

Thanks,
Josh
71-73 Mustangs have no rubber plugs in the floor pan under the seat bolts, thus there are no nex nuts to put a socket on. The seat is held on to the seat riser via "cage nuts". My 72s have 3 cage nuts and 1 weld stud in the seat riser, thus you are removing 3 bolts and 1 nut which should all be visible and removable from the car interior.