Improving Clearance For Dash Speakers And Factory Door Wiring On An 89 Lx

89VertLX

Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
I have an '89 LX 'vert that is mostly stock. After living with the crap-tastic factory cassette player for 20k miles, I finally decided to upgrade it. My car has the 4-speaker non-premium factory system. It has 2 dash speakers and 2 rear speakers, but it doesn't have door speakers. I have a couple of questions.

1. I've replaced the factory radio with an Alpine HU, and I just bought a set of Infinity 42.9i speakers for the dash that will be powered by the Alpine. The left speaker doesn't fit because the duct for the left vent is in the way. Has anybody modified this vent to make room for larger speakers? I don't want to just just cut a hole in the plastic duct and have the a/c dump out under the dash.

2. I have a set of never used old-school Soundstream 5.25" speakers that I'd like to install in the doors. Both doors have factory speaker wiring connectors. I tested the wires, but neither side is getting a signal. I fished around behind the glove box and found the plug for the door speaker wires (coming out of the door) but I don't see where it would plug into the under-dash wiring. I'm trying to keep from cutting the factory harness. Does anyone know where the door wiring should plug into the under dash harness on either side? Were these only used with the factory amp?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here are a couple of pics of my car from last weekend
404135350.jpg

404135354.jpg

• Sponsors (?)