In Need Of Compatable For My T-bird Help!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The SOHC 4.6 from a 1996-2000 Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Cougar (<1996) would be the same at the long block level (non PI Romeo).

The 2001+ Town Car, Grand Marquis, Crown Vic will have PI heads.

Why bother sinking money into rebuilding a NPI? If it were my money, I'd pick up an engine from a 3rd Gen Ford Exploer (2002-2005). Same PI engine engine found in every other Ford after 2001, with the benefit using an aluminum block. That's a 70lb weight drop in the front for no added effort. The Explorers are so overlooked, you'd probably get it for a song.

Not only will it make more power over your current NPI engine, but it'll improve your MN12's handling as well.

Why bother sinking money into rebuilding a NPI? If it were my money, I'd pick up an engine from a 3rd Gen Ford Exploer (2002-2005). Same PI engine engine found in every other Ford after 2001, with the benefit using an aluminum block. That's a 70lb weight drop in the front for no added effort. The Explorers are so overlooked, you'd probably get it for a song.

Not only will it make more power over your current NPI engine, but it'll improve your MN12's handling as well.
Hhhmmm sounds very good to me. Now will the t-bird ecm/computer didn't know if abbrebiaton was correct lol and wiring harnes plug and play or do I need to get the explorers harness and computer. Thanks for the awesome tip. Can sell my Stang engine twards the new engine. Thanks Dan

Hhhmmm sounds very good to me. Now will the t-bird ecm/computer didn't know if abbrebiaton was correct lol and wiring harnes plug and play or do I need to get the explorers harness and computer. Thanks for the awesome tip. Can sell my Stang engine twards the new engine. Thanks Dan
You use all your ecm, wiring harness, ignition, etc from your old engine, on the new one. You could have it dyno tuned to dial the ECU into the PI top end, but it's not totally necessary.

Note, an engine swap such as this only works at the LONG block level. So unless your intent is to become a Ford engineer recommend keeping the original:
  • PCM
  • wiring harness
  • fuel injectors
  • EGR
  • Ignition system.
Basically by keeping the stuff bolted ONTO the motor, the PCM doesn't really see a difference. And yes a non-PI PCM "can run" a PI motor. However it won't get all of the HP unless given a custom tune.

I was curious I can buy a low mileage 2004 crown vic 4.6 interceptor state bull car. Will this newer of motor drop down and is it compatible with my wiring harness and ecm
Yes, any 2V 4.6 will work. You'll just need to transfer over the sensors, wiring, ignition, etc from your current engine.

Be careful with "low mileage" service cars. Usually what they lack in mileage, they make up for in idle time. For all you know, this engine could have 50,000 idle hours on it over the last decade.