In Need Of Some Serious Help

Sterling Dial

Jun 18, 2017
Hi im new here but i need some help with my 96 mustang gt. My old key broke off in my ignition switch and i went and got a new ignition switch that came with two new keys. My problem is when i got the old ignition switch our and put the new one in it would turn over and the theft light would start blinking and would shut off. The new keys and ignition switch do not have a PAT in them. Is there anyway i can make my new ignition switch and keys work?

• Sponsors (?)

Can you explain how you got the old ignition cylinder out? Were you able to get it out without breaking anything?

I'm assuming that the new cylinder ignition lock works (turns) and activates the electric ignition switch. IE the motor cranks when turned to start.

I'm confused about the new keys. Are they completely chip less or do they have chip but your PCM doesn't know them? I'm going to assume the new keys are un-programmed PATS key.

If so then the only thing standing in the way is PATS. For the 96 model year there are a couple of choices.
  • As mentioned above disable PATS in a custom tune.
  • As mentioned above tape the old key head close to the PATS transceiver. This option will work better using a NON PATS key.
  • For the 96-97 Model year there is a end user procedure to re-program new PATS keys. The procedure takes 45 minutes to perform and the steps must be performed exactly. The procedure is documented in the Ford service manual.
  • It is possible to program PATS yourself using the ForScan.org product.
  • Call a mobile lock smith as they have the tools and know how to do it. Better yet a lock smith could re-pin the lock cylinder to match the door key.
If interested in getting a full copy of a Ford service manual and wiring diagrams for your car I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

Here's some information on an affordable Windows based USB ODB2 scanner that is powerful enough to re-program PATS.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

The safest and least hassle method is the mobile locksmith. You will also end up with the same key working in the ignition lock and the doors.

Last edited: