Fox Increase Rate Of Rpm Speed? Video Included.

5point0stang88

Sep 9, 2011
Here is a video of a highway pull, Im wondering what can be done to increase RPM speed. To me, my RPM is slow, but builds speed fast. Maybe gears, aluminum driveshaft, lightweight flywheel?

Watch "3rd gear roll on highway" on YouTube
3rd gear roll on highway:
View: http://youtu.be/6oS0iTXFGuw

And here is a laundry list of parts I have done.

Crane Cams 1.72 roller rockers
Gt40p heads
Tfs1 cam
Hardened longer length pushrods
Crane beehive springs
Gt40 intake
Mac long tubes
Mac Prochamber
Spintech Super Pro Streets Race exhaust dumped
Energy suspension tranny and engine mounts
ARP block to mount bolts
Comp cam double chain roller and sprocket
ARP head bolt and stud
Flowkooler water pump and ARP bolts
Ford racing gasket kit
90 degree spark cable kit
J&M upper and lower control arms
Underdrive pulley kit
Bypass smog
Electric fan
Hotchkis CC plates
BBK Powerplus 70 mm throttle body and egr spacer
70 mm MAF conversion
130 amp alternator
PA Performance alternator wiring
New clutch
New oil pump and shaft
Rebuilt t5
Weld in sub frame connectors
160 degree thermostat

• Sponsors (?)

3rd gear 90+mph @4,700 rpm, safe to say you either have 2.73 or 3.08 gears. Super quick & easy to do the drive shaft to wheel rotations. You'll get 2 3/4 or 3 1/8 turns of the DS to one turn of your tire. Be sure to use chalk or tape.

Check your diff cover as well to see if the tag is there. After you do the DS count check to make sure it matches the tag. It will say something like 2L73 or 3L08 etc

Last edited:
Look at the rear diff cover. It's a metal rectangular tag that's on one of the bolts. It will have a bunch of numbers on it and should the first few indicate the gear ratio. If you have 3.08 gears the tag will read 3L08...3L55 for 3.55 and so on. The "L" stands for trak-lok (limited slip). Be sure to not take the tag as truth. Somebody could have done a gear swap and not updated the tag.

Look at the rear diff cover. It's a metal rectangular tag that's on one of the bolts. It will have a bunch of numbers on it and should the first few indicate the gear ratio. If you have 3.08 gears the tag will read 3L08...3L55 for 3.55 and so on. The "L" stands for trak-lok (limited slip). Be sure to not take the tag as truth. Somebody could have done a gear swap and not updated the tag.
y8ehe3ys.jpg
3agysuty.jpg

2L73 YouTube video now uploading. Damn so I'm in for a treat when I order the 4.10 gear next week. And to think I already get 13.5 mpg (before and after laundry list of parts, side note, that doesn't make sense to me.)

Also installing my j&m upper and lowers Saturday. Then I'll be in market for drag radials, what is best and low cost for my 17in cobra rim

Driveshaft ratio:
View: http://youtu.be/1QHfuYTtby8

I counted 2-3/4 turns, you definitely want gears. I have 3.73's and I love them but I rarely drive on the freeway and when I do I never drive over 60-65 mph anyway.

Why do you want 4.10's? Depending how much freeway driving you do, 3.55 or 3.73 would make you happy.

By the way, how do you like your dumped exhaust? I'm going to do the same thing on my coupe.
My word, the exhaust is amazing. Absolutely no drone, very deep sounding exhaust. No foul smell inside cabin, and actually very quite inside. My exhaust system is matched pretty well I'd say ( it's the mid pipe I believe that makes the difference ) I have several vids of it on my channel.

And 4.10 because I only want to do it once and don't want to regret going lower. That's crazy though, car will be a blast

Thanks for the review of your exhaust, i'll check out your YT channel. As far as gears go for a 5spd trans 3.73 are great. I went from 2.73's to 3.73's and it was a dramatic difference and feels awesome. Now I can cruise at 45mph in 4th gear without the car falling on it's face and when I step on the skinny the car takes off!

But if you want 4.10s that's your choice obviously and hopefully you'll be happy shifting like a big rig truck, lol.

Thanks for the review of your exhaust, i'll check out your YT channel. As far as gears go for a 5spd trans 3.73 are great. I went from 2.73's to 3.73's and it was a dramatic difference and feels awesome. Now I can cruise at 45mph in 4th gear without the car falling on it's face and when I step on the skinny the car takes off!

But if you want 4.10s that's your choice obviously and hopefully you'll be happy shifting like a big rig truck, lol.
Lmao big rig, yeah I really want that rush on the highway cause it's lagging as is. I don't fear the gear, on my Hayabusa 1300cc stock was 17/40 sprocket, normally you do one tooth down in front or up 2 in back for a rush but I did both 16/42 then after I ate up that sprocket I went 16/45 lol. Talk about thrill!