Injector Cleaning - Who Did You Send Yours To?

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
Claremore, OK
I used Cruzin Performance waaay back in 2008 and they did a good job but I was wondering if anyone had this done recently and who did it. I am wanting to send a set of Ford Racing green top EV1 42 lb/hr injectors out to get cleaned and was just curious if anyone either knew someone or had experience here recently.

• Sponsors (?)

Eric Derr is the man myself and everyone local to me has used him

Derr Injector Service
2220 Windrow Ct
Bowling Green, KY 42104

Please include a piece of paper with your name, address, and phone. Paypal is [email protected]

He usually charges 75 and that includes return shipping g

Found a service local here in the Tulsa, OK area so going to give him a shot. Like to support local businesses and he has good reviews and one of the guys at work recommended him.

$120 for a set and replaced the orings, pintle caps, and screens along with a report on the injectors.

Got the injectors pulled this evening so hopefully I can get them dropped off to him tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
I never once thought about having the injectors cleaned as my buddy sold them to me and he is one of those guys that if he thought they needed it he either would have had it done or told me to get it done. I should have had them cleaned when I was reworking the fuel system but I got tunnel vision and did not do that.

I have had these injectors in the car since 2008 and they came out of a Ford Lightning prior to me getting them. What got me thinking about it was the fact that when I had the car retuned for the 331 the tuner made the comment he had to bump the pressure up so the car did not lean out in the upper rpm's. We discussed this and his thoughts were the stock fuel lines were restricting the pump from getting the volume needed at 42 psi up to the injectors. Raising the fuel pressure has diminishing returns in that once you get too far to the right on the pumps curve the volume starts falling off. I did some calculations and based on the 5/16" feed line and 1/4" return line with the Walbro 255 lph pump the return line was the problem at idle and the feed line was the issue at WOT. So weight (8) 42 lb/hr injectors at 43.5 psi will provide enough fuel for right around 575 fwhp @ 85% duty. My 331 made right at 460-470 fwhp on an engine dyno so I am well within the bounds of the injectors. The 255 lph pump can support more than the injectors at 43.5 psi and has plenty of head room for losses.

So now I am going to have them cleaned and pop them back in and my guess is at this point they will not do much being the tune is where it is. I can either spend the money and get it retuned and see what gains I have made with the fuel system and clean injectors or (this is what I am going to do) just wait until the MS3Pro PNP for the Foxes comes out and enjoy the car the way it is for now.

I have a brand new set of 30's for my car, but to run the A9L i stuck a set of 19's in there just until i put the aftermarket EFI in. But i wanted to clean them using a quick and dirty method. I got a rubber plug and drilled a small hole in it enough to slip a small straw that typically comes with carb cleaner. Used a 9V battery to trigger. A few sprays while triggering seemed to clean up the patterns well. New caps and filters and O-rings, and good enough for a temp solution.

I'd invest in a better solution on final combo injectors.

Reactions: 1 user
That but in a sonic bath is pretty much the same thing most services do. I just make sure they don't leak or aren't rusted up. Still have oem red and blue top injectors I pulled out of super coupes and other junkers going fine.. Had one of the old single port blue top 24's leak from the body a while back. So many China knock offs of the old style injectors these days not sure I would trust buying a new set other then old stock singles from ford and they run about $60 each when you can find them.

Mike, sir you are cheap...you literally asked me to do it.

I saw that kit on YouTube and I think for maintenance type cleanings it would work pretty well. Being mine are roughly 20 years old and have never been cleaned I opted to let a professional do it.

Picking my injectors up today from the guy that is doing the cleaning. Talked with him a bit yesterday and he is retired from the nuclear industry so he is a little bit OCD. His shop is really nice, clean, and very well organized. Curious to see if the injectors were any kind of dirty.

I used a local shop recently for my Ford 42's. New O rings, caps and filters as well. They were old with unknown mileage but oddly enough only 2 were slightly off before, now all perfect after cleaning.

Got them back and he said they were not terrible but definitely needed the cleaning. Were putting out about 39 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi and the spray patterns were quote "not the best". All cleaned up, all within 1% of each other and now putting out 45 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi. Very satisfied with the $120 spent on this.

IMG_1657.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds]
IMG_1657.jpg

Reactions: 2 users