Installing '98 Mustang v6 Fog lights (Help needed)

Conformist

Apr 2, 2020
CA
Hello! I'm fairly new here, but have always reverted to this website for some common knowledge.

So, been wanting to add some fogs to my '98 and I have a general Idea on how to do it and have some of the needed parts to do a "Factory" like job. I already have the switch and relay I pulled out of a '99, also cut part of the fog light harness. And what I also know is Ford left the plug for both the Convert top and Fogs in the center console regardless of model.

What I'm trying to figure out here is if I want to do a "factory" like job, how would I go about wiring this up. I'm horrible at electrical if anyone would be so kind as to elaborate step by step, that would be hella helpful. My idea is, if I tap the positive wire into that fog plug in the center console and ground the negative to anywhere on the car that that may do.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

So did a bit more research and testing. The switch works when the headlights are on, guess apparently on older SN95 94-98 the headlights have to be turned on to turn the fogs on with the switch compared to 99-04s that don't.

So that gave me a wild idea in terms of wiring. If I put the fog relay in and wire the fogs to the running lights would that allow me to turn the fogs on and off?

No, you probably need a different PCM and harness. To use the button. Unless you have a solder. I would just buy a wire and fuse set. And a switch and connect it to the battery. Through the firewall.
There's some old information around these forums I've been looking over and I know I wouldn't need a PCM. I don't really want to go the aftermarket wiring route unless that's realistically my last alternative, If I do go that route I'll probably end up wiring it into the switch plug rather than using them sh*tty ebay switches.