Intake Manifold Project - Progress Thread

RedDaemon

10 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So, most of my parts came in for the project! :banana:

Here's my collection of parts as of today:

Picture003.jpg

The manifold was from AM. It is a genuine Ford part and in super nice condition. It looks like i wont need to modify my alternator bracket. the mounting points look like theyre in the same place:

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Injector Seal Kit:
Picture022.jpg

I am waiting on 7 more Injector Seal Kits since the guy who punched in the order only charged me for one :mad: It will take a few days for them to come in. They have to have 2 shipped from Dallas, TX :fuss:

Question
Which brings up a question of mine. I realize its a good idea to replace the gaskets on the injectors (which i intend on doing). But do i really need to change the pintle caps? Theyre plastic, i dont see them deteriorating like rubber does but i could be wrong.I have yet to put in the order for the remaining 7 since its Sunday. If i dont need to replace them then i can just order the part number for just the gaskets (without the caps).

I should be tearing into the engine within the next few days. This depends on when I get the injector kits. I guess i can start before i get them. Ill just have to see what tomorrow looks like as far as weather is concerned. I will update when i have more news

• Sponsors (?)

I could kiss you nighty :D

Long story short, I was changing my fuel rails, got them on, started my car, and I had fuel shooting out the front injector(coming from manifold). I took it apart only to find out that the pintle cap had a crack in it. :notnice:

I have been searching the past two days to see if I can just find the cap and was not able to find anything(did not know what it was called either :() I though I was going to have to buy an new injector($78 from ford) :notnice:

Now I see that you can buy just this kit and comes with the cap I need. :banana:

So, to answer your question, I would at least check and make sure they are still good. Not sure where along the line my cracked but it did. I know that is one of the injectors that came out also when I pulled the fuel rails off.

And, I was just looking on Napa and you can order a kit with just the o-rings.

I could kiss you nighty :D

Long story short, I was changing my fuel rails, got them on, started my car, and I had fuel shooting out the front injector(coming from manifold). I took it apart only to find out that the pintle cap had a crack in it. :notnice:

I have been searching the past two days to see if I can just find the cap and was not able to find anything(did not know what it was called either :() I though I was going to have to buy an new injector($78 from ford) :notnice:

Now I see that you can buy just this kit and comes with the cap I need. :banana:

So, to answer your question, I would at least check and make sure they are still good. Not sure where along the line my cracked but it did. I know that is one of the injectors that came out also when I pulled the fuel rails off.

And, I was just looking on Napa and you can order a kit with just the o-rings.

looks like ill be buying the kit with the caps :D

better safe than sorry. now that i know its possible for them to break i will be picking up the rest of them. i havent skimped on anything else, i shouldnt start now. thanks for the post :nice:

Not sure I understand...

You have a '99 right? So you have PI heads and intake. Did you get one of the last plastic coolant crossover manifolds? Now you're upgrading the coolant crossover?

Not sure I understand...

You have a '99 right? So you have PI heads and intake. Did you get one of the last plastic coolant crossover manifolds? Now you're upgrading the coolant crossover?

99+ came with PI heads and intake. you are correct

99 to early 01 (i believe) came with an intake manifold with a plastic coolant crossover that is prone to cracking.

i am replacing my intake manifold with the upgraded aluminum crossover version as seen on late 01-04 mustangs

bakos,

what was your method of depressurizing the fuel system?

my approach (for now) will be to remove fuse and then turn on the car until the car dies

i could just poke the valve with something i guess, but that can get messy haha.

bakos,

what was your method of depressurizing the fuel system?

my approach (for now) will be to remove fuse and then turn on the car until the car dies

i could just poke the valve with something i guess, but that can get messy haha.

just wrap a shop towel around the schrader valve and release pressure with the towel on. no mess, and easiest way to take the pressure out of the system

That what I did. Wasn't too bad at all. :nice:

99+ came with PI heads and intake. you are correct

99 to early 01 (i believe) came with an intake manifold with a plastic coolant crossover that is prone to cracking.

i am replacing my intake manifold with the upgraded aluminum crossover version as seen on late 01-04 mustangs

That's what I thought you were doing. I had to do mine a long time ago. (See my link below)

I released fuel pressure by running the car and disconnecting the shut off switch in the trunk.

Awesome Pictures!

Awesome pictures! This is excellent. Many people will appreciate your coverage. Nice work. Do follow through with your projects progress. Good luck, Tommy.

Tomorrow it begins...maybe :p
img_2576.jpg

i received the rest of my injector seal kits today. i also gave it a quick bath and parked it in the garage. depending on how things go tomorrow, i might start pulling stuff off :nice:

i will take pictures to document.

Because you don't have to RTV the water jackets, I'm not sure if there will be any problem at all making the gaskets stay in place. I know with mine, it was a real PITA to make them stay in place while trying to slide the manifold under the EGR tube. If you do have trouble, here's something that will make it much, much easier.

http://forums.stangnet.com/772069-some-useful-pi-intake-swap-information.html

Good luck with the swap! Let us know how it goes!

Because you don't have to RTV the water jackets, I'm not sure if there will be any problem at all making the gaskets stay in place. I know with mine, it was a real PITA to make them stay in place while trying to slide the manifold under the EGR tube. If you do have trouble, here's something that will make it much, much easier.

http://forums.stangnet.com/772069-some-useful-pi-intake-swap-information.html

Good luck with the swap! Let us know how it goes!

i believe the whole reason why 98 and down models need to use RTV is because the PI manifold gaskets have some sort of alignment holes when fastening it down. 98 and down models dont have these and therefore it creates a gap when you try to swap in the PI manifold (which is why you need to use the RTV).

i think for this same reason (having the alignments) i shouldnt have a problem with the gaskets. this is all speculation, i wont know for sure until i open her up.

i believe the whole reason why 98 and down models need to use RTV is because the PI manifold gaskets have some sort of alignment holes when fastening it down. 98 and down models dont have these and therefore it creates a gap when you try to swap in the PI manifold (which is why you need to use the RTV).

i think for this same reason (having the alignments) i shouldnt have a problem with the gaskets. this is all speculation, i wont know for sure until i open her up.

Yea, I agree. But because I haven't torn apart a 99+ model, I don't know for sure. I don't think you'll have any issues at all; should be a direct swap. I was just throwing it out there just in case. Good luck.

-Will

Yea, I agree. But because I haven't torn apart a 99+ model, I don't know for sure. I don't think you'll have any issues at all; should be a direct swap. I was just throwing it out there just in case. Good luck.

-Will

thanks a bunch :nice:

im tearing into it at the moment and just realized i never bought mounting gaskets for the throttle body :D

hopefully theyre not damaged. i have no reason to suspect that they would be. the ford manual says they can be reused so that is good enough for me haha

thanks a bunch :nice:

im tearing into it at the moment and just realized i never bought mounting gaskets for the throttle body :D

hopefully theyre not damaged. i have no reason to suspect that they would be. the ford manual says they can be reused so that is good enough for me haha

Yea, I reused mine. 4 months and almost 4000 miles and I've had no problem. It actually looked brand new when I replaced my manifold.

-Will

You can release fuel pressure by the schrader valve, which looks just a like a valve stem cap, and its located on top of the passenger side fuel rail near the front. The hardest part is putting the new manifold in without taking out the egr tube and alternator. I did it that way but it took another person to pull up on the egr tube while the new manifold is put in. Scrap off old gasket material from cylinder heads before putting on new intake gaskets. Now is the best time to change spark plugs while the manifold is off. If you do then blast out debris out of the spark plug hole with compressed air. Last thing is remember which way the thermostat goes back in. Good luck

little update:

I picked up an EGR mounting gasket for ~$2.30 at NAPA. I also picked up some teflon tape but thats no big deal haha

I have been taking my sweet time taking stuff off the car. im not in a big rush. saturday is when everything comes off; thats the real project day.

I am about to remove the tb/plenum from the top of the manifold. alternator, coolant flush, fuel rails and manifold are the next items on the list.