Intake Manifold Suggestions?

If you are going to shop for an explorer intake, here's what to look for. You ideally want to try and snag an early EGR version. Here's how to tell on the upper intakes

If you flip the upper over, you'll see one has a small port in the center for the EGR, and one has a void. The void is the later, non-EGR version
explorer_uppers_underside-jpg.236624.jpg

For the lower intake, there are two versions that come with the explorer. This one below is the later, non-EGR version, and as you can see there is no port in the center of the lower intake for the EGR

gt-40-intake-manifold-mustang-gt-cobra-87-93-no-egr-explorer_162502542082.jpg

You can also check the part number located right behind the distributor.

RF-F87E-9K461-BA (Egr version that also has ACT boss)

RF-F87E-9K461-BB (non-EGR version without ACT boss)

Basically look at the end prefix. Try to find a -BA intake

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to shop for an explorer intake, here's what to look for. You ideally want to try and snag an early EGR version. Here's how to tell on the upper intakes

If you flip the upper over, you'll see one has a small port in the center for the EGR, and one has a void. The void is the later, non-EGR version
explorer_uppers_underside-jpg.236624.jpg

For the lower intake, there are two versions that come with the explorer. This one below is the later, non-EGR version, and as you can see there is no port in the center of the lower intake for the EGR

gt-40-intake-manifold-mustang-gt-cobra-87-93-no-egr-explorer_162502542082.jpg

You can also check the part number located right behind the distributor.

RF-F87E-9K461-BA (Egr version that also has ACT boss)

RF-F87E-9K461-BB (non-EGR version without ACT boss)

Basically look at the end prefix. Try to find a -BA intake

I attached a pic of my lower intake, it looks EGR. I'm getting a refund for the marine cobra intake lol. Ill look locally for the explorer EGR

Attachments

• EGR lower.PNG
    EGR lower.PNG
    248.6 KB · Views: 230
That's an early explorer lower intake. -BA. I can't see if the ACT boss has been drilled and tapped for 3/8" NPT

Here's the rest of the lower pics. I think Im pretty much sold on the explorer intake, its very cheap and i can always powder coat.

Attachments

• lower3 - Copy.PNG
    lower3 - Copy.PNG
    205.5 KB · Views: 232
  • lower1 - Copy.PNG
    lower1 - Copy.PNG
    238.7 KB · Views: 205
  • lower2 - Copy.PNG
    lower2 - Copy.PNG
    231.1 KB · Views: 209
The good thing about the cobra /gt 40/ explorer intake setup is you can install the lower and an explorer upper. Then, if you find a deal on a cobra upper and you want to swap you can just swap the uppers. Or if you find a deal on a GT40 tubular an you want that, you can just swap the uppers. You never have to mess with the lower which is the hard part to swap on an intake swap. I found a good deal on a cobra upper and lower and had it on one of my cars. Then I stumbled upon a tubular GT40 upper on craigslist one day...CHEAP. So, I bought it and swapped uppers. Takes like 15 to 20 minutes to swap an upper. Yes there are better intakes out there but I am in love with the way a GT40 Tubular looks.

20160418_175918_zpsghanqylp.jpg

Chris

Reactions: 3 users
The good thing about the cobra /gt 40/ explorer intake setup is you can install the lower and an explorer upper. Then, if you find a deal on a cobra upper and you want to swap you can just swap the uppers. Or if you find a deal on a GT40 tubular an you want that, you can just swap the uppers. You never have to mess with the lower which is the hard part to swap on an intake swap. I found a good deal on a cobra upper and lower and had it on one of my cars. Then I stumbled upon a tubular GT40 upper on craigslist one day...CHEAP. So, I bought it and swapped uppers. Takes like 15 to 20 minutes to swap an upper. Yes there are better intakes out there but I am in love with the way a GT40 Tubular looks.

20160418_175918_zpsghanqylp.jpg

Chris
That tubular does look nice. Are there performance gains over the cobra or regular GT40?

Tubular does weight a few pounds less.

If I came across a good deal on one, I'd scoop it up. But I'm in no rush. I like my Cobra intake.

I do like how the explorer intakes can be made to look like stock intakes. Very sleeperish.

IMG_0180.jpg

3219583856_f64b73519c_b.jpg

Reactions: 1 users