Interesting Marti Report (and Stock Parts Needed)

All Stock93

Apr 16, 2016
Hey all,
Been lurking here for about a year.
Last year I posted a thread about my 1993 Mustang GT vert with 25,000 original miles. I got a Marti Report this morning and was surprised to see that my car is
1 of 197 with paint code EY
1 of 15 with paint code EY and interior code DJ
1 of 1763 that came with Premium AM/FM/CD search stereo radio

My car currently has the standard AM/FM/Cassette and I would like to find the correct CD player. If anyone has one on the shelf or is aware of one please let me know. I would love to purchase it.

I also am looking for a correct factory radiator for a car built before Oct of 1992
Thanks

CCF04212017_00000.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

That is interesting. I would have thought a Red GT convertible with black interior would be more common.

Would be difficult to find a factory CD player for sale these days. They were rare to begin with being a 1993 only option, and any that pop up for sale tend to go for big money $200-300+. The squared off faceplate is a rather unique item and did come on some ford bronco F150's, but they lack the undertray portion needed for the Fox Mustang.

I "made" a factory CD player for my Mustang using an SVT Contour CD player and a parts radio. Details in this thread
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...emium-sound-stereo-into-87-92-mustang.833958/

Thanks for the link. I will read it once I get home from work.
I would gladly pay 300 + for the correct CD player

Unfortunately I haven't seen any for sale for some time on Ebay. I have a few alerts set for those model CD players and haven't seen an authentic F3 unit in a while.

The 95-00 contour/mystique ones are quite common. There are several on there right now in the $50-100 range, and a seller has new face plates for $18ish as well. Downside is it's not truly authentic to your car.

Post #19-20 is where I show how I converted the contour CD player to work in the stang.

Just read the entire thread, lots of good info.
I have confirmed the amp under the pass. seat but have not pulled the current AM/FM/Cass to see what the wiring looks like. Hoping it hasn't been cut up.
Since I already have the Premium wiring are Contour units going to be plug and play?
Seems like most of the posts in your linked thread were people trying to add the cd player, amp, etc. where they didn't have one from the factory.

Yes, most of that info pertains to 87-92 guys who want to install the unique one year only 1993 setup that got modern head units made by jbl (same setup as 94-00 SN95s)

Here's a side by side of the factory 1993 cd and a contour CD player. Contour on the bottom. Same plugs. Like I mentioned before I'm running a contour stereo in my car with the mustang amp and wiring. Works fine
IMG_1112.JPG

Main thing to look for is some radios feature a 6th preset, and some have a clock button. The mustang setup used a clock button radio.

Here's my radio. It's a contour radio guts, but as you saw in the other thread, I dissected a busted 1993 radio for the bottom plate and the faceplate. Works fine

IMG_6074.JPG

There's a seller currently selling faceplates on eBay. It's not a correct match, as it last the yellow line on the POWER button sand features a 6th preset, but it will replace a lot of the worn buttons you are likely to encounter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112375461626

Haven't had a chance to swap out the buttons on mine to the new ones

Last edited:
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer my questions.
I bought one of the face plates in your ebay link.

cd%20face%20plate.jpg

Then while searching for an entire unit I found one just like you pictured in post 7 of your install thread.

cd%20player.jpg

With the contour cd player and the buttons from the spare face plate do I still need to source the 93 brackets?
Are install brackets specific to the 93 mustang cd player only or could I remove the bracket from the tape player and swap it on to the contour cd player?

Last edited:
Remove it from the radio you currently have. The bottom panel comes off and you can just swap them. Same for the plastic support guide on rear of radio.

After that entire radio will slide in and lock in place. You'll just have a rounded edges vs the straight edge of the 93 setup

At that point you can keep and eye out for f150 or bronco parts radios or faceplates

No that's the rounded style. Will still work but the fox radio is a bit more flat at the edges for the flush fit.

This style came on 1993 mustangs and 93-95 f150/broncos
IMG_1117.JPG

Ok,
Today I received the head unit. It was a direct plug in, everything works!
What I'm not seeing is how you swap the cubby mounting bracket from one head unit to the other

Here is the bottom of the 1993 tape player with the cubby mounting bracket installed
tapedeck2.jpg

here is the bottom of the cd player

cd%202.jpg

Did you remove the entire bottom plate from the head unit and swap it over to the new one or did you remove the rivets from the cubby mount and remount on the new cd head unit?

It looks like I may be able to remove the small torx heads and take the entire bottom off?
tape%20deck1.jpg

Gotcha. I was going to edit my post since I went back and reread your posts from above. The only thing stopping this from being a five minute install is the fact that I don't have a torx bit small enough to remove the plate!
Hopefully this job will be done tomorrow.
Thanks Mustang5L5 for your help.
Just realized you are from Mass. I'm from southern Maine.About 1.5 hrs. from Boston

Install done.
Took less than 10 minutes, after a special trip to the hardware store for a #8 torx bit.
No troubles, no surprises.
cd%20installed3.jpg

Thanks again Mustang5L5 for your help

Reactions: 3 users