Is the 4.6L engine in a 96 Grand Marquis the same as a 96 GT

keithnra

Apr 30, 2006
i think i blew a headgasket on my 96 Gt and i can get a 4.6L engine out of a 96 Mercury 'Grand Marquis and i want to make sure its the same engine. I have searched around and all i can find is the Grand Marquis came with like 210 hp and the mustanf had 215hp. Would the difference be in the throttle body and exhaust manifolds or are there more differences than that. As far as other 4.6L engines go, is that the major difference in them or are the heads, cams etc different. I think tge crown vic is the same aslso right, thanks keith

• Sponsors (?)

The block and heads are the same. Front timing cover are the same.

Differences: exhaust manifold, oil pan, fuel injectors, engine harness.

Many ppl have done this swap. I have the motor from a 2004 CV in my 2000 GT. My project was slightly different as the base motor was PI and this was a Windsor to Romeo swap.

You may want to consider getting a PI motor from a 2000+ Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town car. This will give the benefit of a PI motor. The swap work is almost the same.

Yeah if the deal wasnt so good on this long block i would get the PI motor but at this time i just cant pass this up the deal to get the car back on the road. its just the block and heads that im getting cause thats all i need is the long block.