Is there such a thing as a "Factory Freak"?

davs5.0 said:
Willys, if you're looking for some better times out of your combo, get into your exhaust and converter. Stock H-pipe as in catted. Huge restriction. Borrow someone's h-pipe or x-pipe, take off the cat back for the track. It should pick up a bit. RSW007 and I both run Edge converters and you wouldn't believe what a difference they make. I ran 13.80's with my combo(since removed to get 331 in)
Dude,look at my sig. I have a Precision Industries 2800 stall.I have a BBK off rd H-pipe,I took it off because it ran slower!!! A stock 5.0 needs a certain amount of back pressure.And yeah,it runs better with the stock one.Until you get to around 270HP,the stock h-pipe and headers work best!! Im sorry I took the headers off,I lost some low end torque.

• Sponsors (?)

willys1 said:
OK,i forgot a few things,I also have pullies,Pro M 75mm maf,,eibach front and rear drag springs,,torque box reinforments,,ummmm,I think thats it.You mentioned that he has a drive shaft loop and I dont.How many tenths is that worth? :rolleyes:

I guess it will be how many tenths off you want it to be :rolleyes:

If you paid attention my post you will see I copied and pasted them...should I have made it simpler for you...

I still see why you run your time and he runs his...no factory freak...

willys1 said:
OK,rsw007 isnt as stock as I thought it was,,,,but how about cleanlx ?? (even though it is a 5spd)

5spd answered it right there...and plus the drive has a lot to do with it...it is a coupe...and until he runs at sea level we don't know if his car would ever get 108...

Condition of the car has a lot to do with it...and somepeople have more mods than they know of that shave little times here and there off...

5spd GT said:
5spd answered it right there...and plus the drive has a lot to do with it...it is a coupe...and until he runs at sea level we don't know if his car would ever get 108...

Condition of the car has a lot to do with it...and somepeople have more mods than they know of that shave little times here and there off...
nah,nah,nah,,I dont care if it is a 5spd.I never heard of anyone going that fast with such little mods :nonono:

5spd GT said:

and, 104.0mph with nothing other than u/d's, full exhaust, MAM and K'n'N in the stock box is realitivly everyday... regardless of the 2600 d/a.
BTW, race weight is 3240lbs. ('92 Notch, GT interior, no weight removal, car goes 3080 with no floor mats, spare tire or jack, I'm 160...)
Also, moving from sea level to the desert I lost 6/10ths! I believe the calulators are accurate, but, they don't account for "good" days at sea level.

As well... I assure you, that is all the mods the car had, I've since been thru the entire motor/trans(not by choice, oil pump driveshaft twisted off, and tranny drive tooth replacement).... stock as a rock.

All I can say is that if some of you guys really run what you claim...there is no need for aftermarket heads such as AFR's or TrickFlow's or FMS...:rolleyes:if you guys are hitting 12's on stock untouched heads than the more flowing expensive aluminum heads are not worth the money just to go a tad bit faster...Either that or I just don't know how to put a decent combo together and neither do the people I deal with...who knows it must be something in the air up there...cuz here in Chicago this sort of stuff doesn't happen... :shrug:

Highbredcloud said:
All I can say is that if some of you guys really run what you claim...there is no need for aftermarket heads such as AFR's or TrickFlow's or FMS...:rolleyes:if you guys are hitting 12's on stock untouched heads than the more flowing expensive aluminum heads are not worth the money just to go a tad bit faster...Either that or I just don't know how to put a decent combo together and neither do the people I deal with...who knows it must be something in the air up there...cuz here in Chicago this sort of stuff doesn't happen... :shrug:

Yeah exactly...if people are hitting 108mph with just a few boltons?...that means with AFRs, a custom, intake and all that mess...they should be getting closer to 118mph (running with Vipers and beating zo6's...hmm...):shrug: ...and I just don't see that happening...I think some cars got mods they don't know of...a driver can only do so much...

Believe what you will, by lying to people on the internet you would only be hurting yourself. I and everyone else knows what their own cars have done and run. If you want to believe it fine if not hats fine too, just dont lose sleep over it.

I actually look at it as a compliment, afterall I must be doing something right!

As far as 12s being nice, they arent bad, but 11s would be more fun!

willys1 said:
Dude,look at my sig. I have a Precision Industries 2800 stall.I have a BBK off rd H-pipe,I took it off because it ran slower!!! A stock 5.0 needs a certain amount of back pressure.And yeah,it runs better with the stock one.Until you get to around 270HP,the stock h-pipe and headers work best!! Im sorry I took the headers off,I lost some low end torque.

No offence Willys. Just trying to point out that not all converters are created equal. Is yours lock up or non? Switched mine to non lock and made a ton of difference. Car pulls harder than it ever did. When you ran the h-pipe, did you run it out the cat back or dump it? I must have missed what your 60' was on your 14.30 run. Are you hooking well? When I got the converter and some Et streets, it made all the difference in my times. Instant 14.0 car. Got myself the 3.90's and went 13.82 right off the trailer. You probably have the motor for 13's, just need to sort out your combo a bit more. I had more than 125 runs on my car before it ever went close to the 13's.

rsw007 said:
ive got a ? are all you 12 second guys running the "factory built" longblocks as in the heads and intake never been off the block? just curios and how many miles on your motors? im up to 146,000 on mine

stock long block.
TB had never been off, let alone injectors, valve covers, waterpump, oil pan etc. Car still had original coil/cap/rotor/wires. Stock chip.
Car had 58,000 on it then, has 63,000 now.

one timeslip....
timeslip jan 26 03

one video of same run...
coupe in the far lane
wacthing the car leave it's not hard to tell there's been no suspension work.
compress/rebound/hopitty hop...

rsw007 said:
ive got a ? are all you 12 second guys running the "factory built" longblocks as in the heads and intake never been off the block? just curios and how many miles on your motors? im up to 146,000 on mine
Mine has 133,000 on it. Heads have never been off. Intake was changed and valve covers were off to replace leakey gaskets. Thats about it. I did not get the 12 second time slip but I can tell you with my MPH it would be no problem.

Oh yeah thats with stock headers!

I still think it is possible for me to go 107 possibly 108 on the right night.

"I think some cars got mods they don't know of...a driver can only do so much..."

It's all a bell curve boys and girls. Take 10 equally equipped/geared fox bodies. Give 'em full exhausts, plenty of gear and good tires and a good driver. 8 of 'em will be in the 13's, one of 'em won't get out of the 14's and one of 'em will dip into the twelves. CleanLX got that one. That's the way they roll out of the factory - they are not all equal even when equally equipped and driven. Fact of life. Rejoice if you got a quick one. Enjoy it if you got an average one. Sell it and buy another if you got a lemon.

Or do what I did - put the motor/tranny in an old Volvo - and you'll outperform EVERYONE's expectations.

cleanLX said:
stock long block.
TB had never been off, let alone injectors, valve covers, waterpump, oil pan etc. Car still had original coil/cap/rotor/wires. Stock chip.
Car had 58,000 on it then, has 63,000 now.

one timeslip....
timeslip jan 26 03

one video of same run...
coupe in the far lane
wacthing the car leave it's not hard to tell there's been no suspension work.
compress/rebound/hopitty hop...

So what tires where you running on those runs...and was that skinnies on the front?

But again if people are trapping 108+ without h/c/i wouldn't that lead you to believe that with the h/c/i they would be approaching 118mph...Viper, zo6, territory...so now a few 5.0's can beat zo6's and Vipers with just h/c/i :shrug: ...hard to accept that...

Not pointing at anyone here...but how can you tell if the cars heads have never been off, valve covers, etc...if you bought it used...you would have to take off those valve covers to really get a better look at the heads and know if they have been taken off...

Michael Yount said:
"I think some cars got mods they don't know of...a driver can only do so much..."

It's all a bell curve boys and girls. Take 10 equally equipped/geared fox bodies. Give 'em full exhausts, plenty of gear and good tires and a good driver. 8 of 'em will be in the 13's, one of 'em won't get out of the 14's and one of 'em will dip into the twelves. CleanLX got that one. That's the way they roll out of the factory - they are not all equal even when equally equipped and driven. Fact of life. Rejoice if you got a quick one. Enjoy it if you got an average one. Sell it and buy another if you got a lemon.

Or do what I did - put the motor/tranny in an old Volvo - and you'll outperform EVERYONE's expectations.

I just don't see how from the factory (equally equipped/geared foxbodies) can have over a second difference between them...very hard to believe...if these are off the showroom like that...

5 spd GT your reaching bro :rolleyes: If there running 12's with stock H/C/I,then yes,I think it is safe to say they would woop a z06 with after market H/C/I's!!! ( Now a C6-zo6 is another story) Mike Yount just made a comment that sums up this hole thread!! That one he talks about being in the 12's,,well,thats my description of a "FACTORY FREAK". Ive known you to be wrong a few times(no punn intended,you do know your sh@t)but this man (in my opinion) is "one" of the most knowledgable guys on this site.I rest my case.OH yeah,,clean lx,your car rocks :nice: And Im sure the driver has alot to do with those times :nice:

willys1 said:
5 spd GT your reaching bro :rolleyes: If there running 12's with stock H/C/I,then yes,I think it is safe to say they would woop a z06 with after market H/C/I's!!! ( Now a C6-zo6 is another story) Mike Yount just made a comment that sums up this hole thread!! That one he talks about being in the 12's,,well,thats my description of a "FACTORY FREAK". Ive known you to be wrong a few times(no punn intended,you do know your sh@t)but this man (in my opinion) is "one" of the most knowledgable guys on this site.I rest my case.OH yeah,,clean lx,your car rocks :nice: And Im sure the driver has alot to do with those times :nice:

I don't even hold a candle to Michael...I just wish there was some way to prove (go back in time :D ) that either there was factory freaks or not...because with age of the cars and different "beating" on them...makes it impossible today to get an accurate reading...

My point was...I just don't see how a h/c/i car can compete or beat a zo6-viper with just those mods...a buddy of mine has a 03 Mil. Yellow Z06 and I just don't see that happening...

Yep the driver has a lot to do with it...I know I "had" more mods than cleanlx and I dont' care if I was a perfect driver (if there is such a thing) could gain 8 more mph to get that 108...I had more mods and our weight race weight being similar with him weighing less (this is when I had bolt-ons, full exhaust, gears...) I know for a fact my car would not hit 108mph...

I think it is the case of rsw007 where there is a bit more there than is being shared or mods that they get "conveniant amnesia" on... :)

:nice: To all the real good drivers out there...

Edit: Oh and about the h/c/i beating the zo6 (the zo6's run mid 12's @ 117mph)...I'm not talking about beating the E.T. of the zo6 or Viper but trapping (shows the true power potential) the equivalent of a zo6...basically meaning it could beat a zo6 or Viper on the open road (interstate) with just h/c/i? :shrug:

5spd GT said:
I don't even hold a candle to Michael...I just wish there was some way to prove (go back in time :D ) that either there was factory freaks or not...because with age of the cars and different "beating" on them...makes it impossible today to get an accurate reading...

My point was...I just don't see how a h/c/i car can compete or beat a zo6-viper with just those mods...a buddy of mine has a 03 Mil. Yellow Z06 and I just don't see that happening...

Yep the driver has a lot to do with it...I know I "had" more mods than cleanlx and I dont' care if I was a perfect driver (if there is such a thing) could gain 8 more mph to get that 108...I had more mods and our weight race weight being similar with him weighing less (this is when I had bolt-ons, full exhaust, gears...) I know for a fact my car would not hit 108mph...

I think it is the case of rsw007 where there is a bit more there than is being shared or mods that they get "conveniant amnesia" on... :)

:nice: To all the real good drivers out there...

Edit: Oh and about the h/c/i beating the zo6 (the zo6's run mid 12's @ 117mph)...I'm not talking about beating the E.T. of the zo6 or Viper but trapping (shows the true power potential) the equivalent of a zo6...basically meaning it could beat a zo6 or Viper on the open road (interstate) with just h/c/i? :shrug:
:p :p :p :p :p