Is this noise coming from my tranny?

mrvax

Stay thirsty my friends
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
SN Moderator: Orlando, Fl.
When driving at highway speeds, I can hear a constant whine sound. It's not very loud. In 5th gear at about 50mph, I take my foot off the gas and the noise seems to go away at that instant. Foot back on gas, noise returns. This rules out the tires & rear end. So, can the manual trans make a little extra noise when under load?

It doesn't sound like trouble but I couldn't think of what in a manual trans may be affected.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

It can still be the rear end. Depending on how the gears were installed (I see you have 3.73's) they may whine a little on deceleration but be find while cruising.

Mine are the same. The whine a little while cruising and are quite on deceleration.

Mine is also most prominate in 5th gear... I brought this to the attention of the installer and he suggested it may be my trans, but I know it is not as it was 100% quiet the day of the gear install. That was the only change.

Thanks for your reply. I'll bet you are right.
The gear installer I had used was quite experienced, thankfully.
When I 1st had the gears installed I did have a noticable vibration.
Soon after, I installed the aluminum drive shaft and it ended the vibration.

Yep, I can see the noise being from the rear gears now. It's hard to pinpoint and not too loud. I'm just curious. I wonder if I ever have the fluid changed to some magical brand like Royal Purple and added the friction modifier of course, if it would help. Some people who have used premium tranny fluids have reported a quieter sound.

If the noise gets progressively louder over time I'd bet on it being the gears. When the pinion bearing starts to go it creates play in the gears and you get that whine that gets louder with overall speed. When they get really bad it will sound like a 747 is following you around.

Bill