isnt 1st year of new model a wait & see??

does anyone think that maybe they should wait and get a new stang in early 05 or an early model 06? reason i ask is ,usually the 1st year of a "new model" (engine,platform,etc..)that its good to get the 2nd year as the bugs and slight changes that are made including power #s and wheel changes etc.. rememember the 96-98 mod motors?? :nonono: 1st 3 years were not that great.id hate to get caught up in the excitement of the new stang only to be wishing i waited and got a better version at a later date :shrug: although ford looks like it has done its homework on the car,i love the fact that it has a live rear axle!!! :banana: what do yall think??

• Sponsors (?)

It will undoubtedly get better in the future (I would expect 2006 and probably 2007 to be basically identical, perhaps with minor tweaks). But you can play that game indefinitely -- it will always get better next year, so you should always wait. At some point you just have to decide you want a new toy, and go out and get one. I know full well that the '07 Cobra will probably be so much better than the '05 GT that I will just have to get one... and so it means that I'll basically be renting the GT for a few years and selling it to break even when I buy the Cobra. Oh well. At least I'll get to drive it for a few years while I'm waiting for the Next Big Thing.

Dave

Actually that may be true of cars in the past. But in todays factories quality control is considerably higher. The old addage of wait for the second year isn't true anymore. There may be some problems that even Ford hasn't seen in their own test cars, but in overall build quality these cars will be fine. Todays factories have so much automation and everything is welded and connected so exactly that the only things that you would really have to worry about is defects (which can happen) and just plain stupidity (Which can happen).
If you look at the majority of New cars that recently came out, you won't find many that have problems other then minor real world fixes that they couldn't come across with the test mules.

bluebloodedford said:
rememember the 96-98 mod motors?? :nonono: 1st 3 years were not that great.

Not the same situation at all. Essentually the 05 GT motor is the 3rd iteration of the one that first appeared in 96. There have not been any changes in the GT motor since 99. I'd say you can expect to go 4 or 5 years before there are any changes to the 05 GT motor.

The only reason to wait is if you want to get one of the special edition Stangs that wil be forthcoming. But if you are going to get a GT, it will not change much for several years.

I solicit 4000 collision repair shops for my business. When I got my 99' GT they were all over it. It was one of the first & I didn't see many 99's till about a year after production. Wait till I pull in with the 05'. Its kinda nice to have something different for a while.

Razinhell said:
Actually that may be true of cars in the past. But in todays factories quality control is considerably higher. The old addage of wait for the second year isn't true anymore. There may be some problems that even Ford hasn't seen in their own test cars, but in overall build quality these cars will be fine. Todays factories have so much automation and everything is welded and connected so exactly that the only things that you would really have to worry about is defects (which can happen) and just plain stupidity (Which can happen).
If you look at the majority of New cars that recently came out, you won't find many that have problems other then minor real world fixes that they couldn't come across with the test mules.

2003 350Z...enough said

Poor alignment (oddly fast tire wear)
Bad transmissions
weak Drivelines
Seats that wear out in a year

Ford Escape
poor ergonomics (changed 2 years later)
poor seat quality (also changed 2 years later)
Bad ECU's (re-flashed in a recall 2 years later)
Leaking rear window (at least ours did)
Harsh road noise (again, addressed 2 years later)

bluebloodedford said:
rememember the 96-98 mod motors?? :nonono: 1st 3 years were not that great.id hate to get caught up in the excitement of the new stang only to be wishing i waited and got a better version at a later date

Hmmm, so I dont want the first year's car .... 'cause they're working out the bugs. And in the case you sighted, I don't want the first 3 year's cars, cause it took that long to find and fix the problems. So maybe I wait 4 years to buy the car ... but then its looking kinda dated, and a new model is bound to be coming out in a few years that will make mine look obsolete. And next year will have larger tires (I hope anyway), maybe an IRS, or even that new color.

Too many half filled glasses in that line of argument. Buy year 1, you get to be first kid on the block with the new toy, and ENJOY it for a year or two while everyone else waits or drools. Kinda like buying a computer, house, camera, or anything else ... there is no ideal time. Figure out what you need, what you want, and take the plunge when your most comfortable. But dont worry, someone has got to be the guinie pig and get that first unit .... and the line is probably long.

PS: Also look for that first person to pay sticker (or more) brag about being the only one to have the car, and then complain at the end of the year when payments have gone down $50/month about how badly they are getting screwed for the next 38 months (remaining payments).

1st yr.< 2nd < 3rd < 4th........etc.

You can wait for ever if you always need that slightly better car. 1st year cars arn't as bad as they once were.

I'd get a first year but I'd probably wait 4-6 months, that way they can get those first shippment bugs out and the prices will drop a little. Sometimes there is 200X.5 model year changes. example = the 2004.5 Grand Prix got a different plusher back seat.

Well I would wait despite the new automations of this industry. :rolleyes: FORD QA still has a ways to go. I've always been blessed with stallions for Mustangs ... not worries and great performance and minimum time in a service center. BUT!!!
Anyone remember the 99 Cobra?
>Underpowered as advertised.The Cobra's issue was purely out-sourcing to the wrong guy (bad intakes).
>Wheel hop!!
>Poorly designed IRS for the chassis

Tons of QA issues with incorrect bumpers going out on Cobras and Mustang GTs. :rlaugh:

Comparing this sample set of cars to the volumes sold.... it's small, this I understand, until you end up being the example in the sample set. :p

03 Cobra with it's drivetrain and engine issues.
The aforementioned 96-98 GTs SOHC had already been out for a while before they found a better way to make power for he same motor.

How long had this 3V motor been out for the Mustang GT?
I won't go into body panel alignment issues with the Mustang GT. :(
We could go on with the bad ....

Now, I rarely bash anyone but, on this subject I like to point out the facts in the past, and hope for the best in the future.

I'm not saying wait and see is how everyone should live but I know a few 99 Cobra owners that were the first on the block and spent a lot of time in the shop. I still say wait a while at least 6 months.

Z28x said:
Sometimes there is 200X.5 model year changes. example = the 2004.5 Grand Prix got a different plusher back seat.

Another example of a mid-year change was with the '03 4Runner... the latter set got an upgraded towing capacity, body color cladding, and a couple of other things that I can't remember right now.

Another reason to wait another year would be for safety enhancements...i.e. The government has mandated that a certain perctage of vehicles contain remote tire pressure gauges (ala Corvette). This percentage goes up every year until eventually 100% of vehicles sold in USA must have it. So if the 05 MY Mustang doesn't have this particular feature, there's a good chance that the 06 MY will.

I was at a Ford dealership in AZ the other day coughsandersonfordcoughcough and the internet sales manager proceeded to tell me that for the '05 Mustang the only thing that is different is the body!?! He said same motor, same suspension as the current car. At that point I left.

Auburnman said:
Another example of a mid-year change was with the '03 4Runner... the latter set got an upgraded towing capacity, body color cladding, and a couple of other things that I can't remember right now.

Another reason to wait another year would be for safety enhancements...i.e. The government has mandated that a certain perctage of vehicles contain remote tire pressure gauges (ala Corvette). This percentage goes up every year until eventually 100% of vehicles sold in USA must have it. So if the 05 MY Mustang doesn't have this particular feature, there's a good chance that the 06 MY will.

I would have to agree with you on that! :nice:

I would not be as worried about quality problems, as I would about missing some really neat new features and options. Even though the S197 is now like 2 years late (it was originally called the 2003 Mustang in the press), I am sure there were some things which just had to be put on the "back burner" in order to focus on finally getting just the new Mustang itself out the door. We already know that the 18" wheel option seems to be one of those things which will not be done in time for Job1, and will show up later.

I owned a 96 GT before I traded it in for my 02 , so you cant blame me for now having first year jitters...

I will NEVER buy a first year again......

to those who say the first year issues are a thing of the past.......YOU ARE WRONG........there WILL be slight improvements from 05 to 06......

and who the hell really knows.........there may be MAJOR ones?

My main concern on this front, being in the V6 market, is that I'll buy an '05 and next year they'll turn around and put a Duratec in it or something. Probably not too likely for '06, but with my luck . . .

texaco said:
I owned a 96 GT before I traded it in for my 02 , so you cant blame me for now having first year jitters...

I will NEVER buy a first year again......

to those who say the first year issues are a thing of the past.......YOU ARE WRONG........there WILL be slight improvements from 05 to 06......

and who the hell really knows.........there may be MAJOR ones?

96 and 2002 weren't first year stangs, with the exception of going from the 5.0 to the 4.6 in 1996. Is that what you are referring to? If so, what kind of probs did you have with the 4.6? 1994 & 1999 were the new models so to speak, but I suppose you could consider the 1996 as a semi-new model since they changed the heart of the beast. And, I agree, there will most ceratainly be minor fixes... the possibility of major changes, although not likely with the amount of testing done, is always a possibility.

Absolutely there's going to be bugs with anything as complex as a car. Even a new model Lexus will typically have at least one issue. The other unfortunate thing is first year cars also become less desirable used cars later on. Go and see how unpopular 97 Vette's are, even the one's with low miles.

spectravp said:
96 and 2002 weren't first year stangs, with the exception of going from the 5.0 to the 4.6 in 1996. Is that what you are referring to? If so, what kind of probs did you have with the 4.6? 1994 & 1999 were the new models so to speak, but I suppose you could consider the 1996 as a semi-new model since they changed the heart of the beast. And, I agree, there will most ceratainly be minor fixes... the possibility of major changes, although not likely with the amount of testing done, is always a possibility.

I didnt really claim that the 02 was an all new model or version. What I mean is that I replaced my troublesome 96 with a very satisfactory 02.

I have to take it that you have not heard of the factory recall on the fan and radiator in the 1996 Ford Mustang GT.

yes , although major revisions from 05 to 06 are unlikely, all possibility of them occuring to your car is eliminated by waiting twelve months.
If going from a pushrod 5.0 liter to a 4.6 liter modular isnt all new then I suspect making the Mustang AWD and quad turbo would not make it all new for some.