Ive got some updates on my non-running mustang situation

N8Miller

I need NOS....make it 2 of the big ones
Founding Member
Jul 26, 2000
Kingston, PA, USA
Ok, i finally found the volt meter and used it for a few minutes to trouble shoot what jrichker/rick91gt/grn91lx/daggar and staff has helped me with.
anyway, heres what i got:

*still no fuel pump priming
*13.3 volts at starter selinoid
*.3 volts at fuel injectors
*.2 volts at red/blue (maybe black?) wire on FP relay
*0 volts in pink/blue wire on FP relay

interia switch:
*.3 volts in red/blue wire
*.0 volts in solid red wire

fusable links:
all had 13.0volts in both ends of them

where do i go from here???
:shrug:

edit: right now i am leaning toward the eec relay?!?!?!

• Sponsors (?)

0900823d80167158.gif

Autozone wiring diagrams http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/71/3c/0900823d8016713c.jsp for 79-88 model Mustangs.

The ECC relay is on top of the computer. The computer is located under the passenger side kick panel. Some of the wiring may be difficult to get to, and require some bends and kinks in your body that it isn't used to.

ECC power feed
Locate the ECC relay in the above diagram. Look for 12 volts on the black/orange wire that feeds it, no 12 volts and the fuse link is bad. If the 12 volts is present, the ECC relay is either bad or is not energizing.

ECC relay control voltage
Look for 12 volts on the red/Lt green wire. No 12 volts here, and the fuse link for this wire is bad or you have a broken wire. The same fuse link feeds the red/lt green wire on the ignition coil, so look for 12 volts here too. If you find it at the coil and not at the relay, the red/lt green wire is broken somewhere.

ECC relay control ground and computer power ground
With power off, measure the resistance between the black/lt green wire on the ECC relay and battery ground you should see less than 1 ohm. More that that is a bad connection or broken wire.

ram360 said:
nate, I've had that problem before. Fuel pump wouldn't prime turned out my eec was bad. Put in a new one, problem fixed. Hopefully you get away lucky w/ just a new relay.

A bad EEC transistor will keep the pump from priming, but the injector power comes through the EEC relay and he has no volts to the injectors.

N8Miller said:
whats a transistor vs. the relay?
A transistor is soldered in place inside the computer. In your case, I would not consider it a user replaceable part.

The relay(s) are all outside the computer and plug into sockets in the wiring harness. They are all user replaceable parts. You pull the old relay out, make sure the new one is the same part number and then plug the new one in the socket. You might want to inspect the socket and wiring for corrosion, overheating and other damage while replacing the relay.

tmoss said:
I've often thought that if the fuel pump transistor was the only thing that failed on my EEC, I'd supply the pump ground through a relay slaved to the ignition switch "on" position.

Would that not be potentially dangerous in a accident situation?

okay please tell me why he has said his fuel pump is not priming and nobody has said his fuel pump is bad......

If your car cranks and you have spark, but your fuel pump doesnt prime, its obviously the fuel pump. I must be missing something, why has nobody pointed out the fuel pump?

Aliate X said:
Cut the wires going to the pump and see if you can get the pump to work by an external electrical source.

Bad idea. start with the ECC wiring & relay. No power to or past the ECC relay, no power to the computer, injectors or fuel pump relay.

Diagram courtsey of Tmoss & Stang&2birds. See http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ for more good stuff.

fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Attachments

• fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif
    fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif
    83.1 KB · Views: 89