Progress Thread Jewel Green street/strip 92 LX progress thread

• Sponsors (?)

Well after a price and lead time of a Dart block it just is not in the cards now. Besides cost and the 6-8 month lead time there is also reluctance in some of the block is the only Ford thing left besides the obvious architecture. Oh and the front cover and distributor.

Anyway I picked up on Saturday a stadard bore 1968 302 block, it was out of a Cougar pulled in the mid 80's. It still had the factory Ford bearings in it dated 12-67. The only concern is #1 main was a bit rusty in the register, main cap was away from block and there is a fair amount of rust hopefully it will clean up with a light line grinding on the registers and line honing.

What's interesting about this block is the main bolts are NOT threw holes they are ALL blind. I could sware the skirt area looks thicker. All the head bolts as well from what I could tell. I could not remember if my 1992 302 had blind head bolt holes or not. Eventually I will get them side by side and also scale them. So if this block works out I will be building back a 331 only this time internally balanced. If this block does not work out, I will keep looking!

20220619_135957.jpg
20220619_140039.jpg
20220619_140021.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well the machine shop called last week and after months of waiting and hounding. He finally got around to checking the block and found a crack in #6 bore in the replacement 1968 block. We both agreed sleeving is not idea, so back on the hunt...I did find a complete still together 71 pan to intake 2 barrel with a auto trans, but it remains to be seen if it is standard bore. These older blocks are proving to be a challenge to find! But I am starting to scratch my head on a 351 as my dad has a block sitting there.

Well the machine shop called last week and after months of waiting and hounding. He finally got around to checking the block and found a crack in #6 bore in the replacement 1968 block. We both agreed sleeving is not idea, so back on the hunt...I did find a complete still together 71 pan to intake 2 barrel with a auto trans, but it remains to be seen if it is standard bore. These older blocks are proving to be a challenge to find! But I am starting to scratch my head on a 351 as my dad has a block sitting there.
Ill send you my 302, LOL. I want to go back with a NA big inch Windsor in the worst kind of way.

I went big inch with a turbo and I have to say nothing quite like it.

The older blocks are hard to find, our last 331 was a 69 block standard bore and it held together for years at 7800 rpm shifts and up to 350 shot of nitrous.
Failure only happened because we split the crank and everything came apart.

Reactions: 1 user
No doubt the turbo stuff is fun and FAST too! I grew up with the NA stuff so there is a soft spot for that. I have 2 68's and that 71 I am watching on market place. I have exhausted all my machine shop sources and have word of mouth to a few other sources. I will take my time as I am not in a hurry.
Time to fire up the snowmobile head north and chase the snow!

Well I have 2 blocks unless dad sells the 351 on me...
I picked up a 1978 302 std bore.
Sending it to the machine shop to be burned, shot peened and magnefluxed.

The alternative is to build the 351 to about 370-380cid, I don't have to convert to one piece rear main. I will have to buy another intake.:thinking:

Barn fresh 302...
20230202_105414.jpg

90's 351
20230202_121802.jpg

Reactions: 2 users