JRICHKER 3G problems please help.

BK_CAULEY

it's built for speed not longevity, woman
Dec 26, 2006
Thomasville, ga
i just installed THIS 3g alternator and the first few days it was great until today.

i was on my way home and my battery light came on and my voltage gauge pegged straight up. i shut the car down and got out my multi-meter. i attached it to the battery and at idle im getting 13-13.5 volts but as soon as i give it the gas it jumps to around 18-18.5 volts. i know this alternator is internally regulated but is there anything i can do to check and see if its a bad alternator. if it is i home they warranty there products.

is there anything that could cause a high voltage spike like this? it happend to me before but that was with the old setup and my wells box was going bad.

• Sponsors (?)

okay me and slow95gt just went out and tested it again and now its holding at a steady 12.1 and when the e-fan comes on it drops to 11.9 thats not near what it was. is this okay? or should i return it?

One year is small stuff compared to the lifetime warranty offered by Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone.

Besides that, having to pull an alternator and ship it back via UPS or other package shipper is a pain in the neck. Bum a ride from a bud or neighbor and hand the parts guy at Advance or AutoZone the alternator and reciept and he will hand you a new alternator. Can't beat that with a stick...

do you think a stock 3g will be more than sufficiant for my needs. im sure it will i will probably ask for a refund then. and get a stock one from the parts store. this one i had was a 200 amp model. but tonight i saw a 80 amp stock replacement alt charge just fine on slow95gt's car.

do you think a stock 3g will be more than sufficiant for my needs. im sure it will i will probably ask for a refund then. and get a stock one from the parts store. this one i had was a 200 amp model. but tonight i saw a 80 amp stock replacement alt charge just fine on slow95gt's car.

What are your needs? Unless you have a mega system or huge electric fan, it should do alright (compare the load of a 94 Mustang to your potential loads and go from there. A 130 amp alt does alright with a 94 Mustangs load).

Forgive all the innuendo in my post. :bang:

One year is small stuff compared to the lifetime warranty offered by Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone.

Besides that, having to pull an alternator and ship it back via UPS or other package shipper is a pain in the neck. Bum a ride from a bud or neighbor and hand the parts guy at Advance or AutoZone the alternator and reciept and he will hand you a new alternator. Can't beat that with a stick...

Yeah I work at an AutoZone, we will hook you up :nice:

GET IN THE ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rofl

A word about the crap from parts stores: I've have all batteries, alts and starters bench tested before purchasing them. I have received bad ones right out of the box on many occasions (from all of the big chain stores around here).

And a recent anecdote: Yesterday a female family member was shopping alternators. Unfortunately a reman'd unit is the way to go, given the situation. I told her to ask the kid at the parts store to bench test the new alt and he gave her a bunch of crap. She insisted and it failed. When he called other stores to find her an alt that would pass, the next store's off-the-shelf alt also failed a load test. The following one finally passed (supposedly).
Just something to consider for those that end up needing parts store stuff.

Keith, nice work. That's some impressive customer service. :nice: