Just another mourning message another dead SVO

terramir

Nov 5, 2004
I went back to pick and pull with the 30 bucks handy for that svo spoiler I wanted so badly, but turns out the car disappeared I asked some workers there and they told me every car after 30 days goes in the crusher so that SVO is history less than 10k -1 I dunno how many of those things are left now? 5k? :nonono: :damnit: :fuss:
I really wanted that spoiler for my 86 LX (soon to be indentical with a 85/86 gt (7.5 back axle)
Well I'll find one eventually and if it's an aftermarket replacement doesn't matter still will look cool.
just letting the SVO fans know mourn another one
well on the outside my mod will look more like an 84/85 SVO because of my 86 (LX front and the svo spoiler (when I find one) but it will have a 5 slow when I can afford it (towing capacity :( can't go 2.3 turbo if I ever want to move out of the city))
Well just wanted to notify everyone
terramir

• Sponsors (?)

terramir said:
I really wanted that spoiler for my 86 LX (soon to be indentical with a 85/86 gt (7.5 back axle)

I'm a bit lost on this...are you talking about spoilers or bi-wings? If it's a Bi-wing, this want make it Identical to a 85-86GT since only the SVOs came with Bi-wings. Anyways this car's death sux but it was doomed because of people like this parting it out :nonono: Also that 5k maybe what the total SVOs are still running around but wait if it was a 86? There was only like 400-500 of these ever built and are very rare to find now days :(

you saying youll use the 5.0 so you can tow things?..just asking becouse ive always thought HP was HP and torque was torque.....a bud of mine has a 2.3T in a 83 Jeep CJ7 and it tows trailers just fine..we used it to pull a double axle car trailer from Charleston SC to Kernersville NC loaded with an F250 workbed truck with compressor/welder set up and it was fine...even in the hills the turbo jus spooled sooner becouse of the load....the only real mod he had to do was change the gear in the diffs becouse he went from an auto 6cyl. to the T4 trans and 4cyl..............................Hal

Pro-Hawk said:
I'm a bit lost on this...are you talking about spoilers or bi-wings? If it's a Bi-wing, this want make it Identical to a 85-86GT since only the SVOs came with Bi-wings. Anyways this car's death sux but it was doomed because of people like this parting it out :nonono: Also that 5k maybe what the total SVOs are still running around but wait if it was a 86? There was only like 400-500 of these ever built and are very rare to find now days :(

could someone translate?

140cilx said:
could someone translate?

It's probaly me and my over reactive self :p Anyways this is the only thread I've read concerning this SVO and below is what lost me on it.

terramir said:

This poster said he wanted to buy the SVO spoiler and in () states soon to be identical to a 85/86GT?

I'm lost because don't the LX/GTs and SVO use the same dang spoiler? So why not just yank a spoiler off of some GT or 4cl instead of parting out a SVO? This is why I'm lost, if he's talking about a SVO bi-wing, this want make the car indentical to any GT?

terramir said:
I went back to pick and pull with the 30 bucks handy for that svo spoiler I wanted so badly

Now unless I missed a thread about this poor SVO wraped around a tree thread, this lost me also. Anyways here is this post about a guy missing the opertunity to get parts off a SVO but lets cry for it's death? It's like parting it out is saving it but chrushing it is killing it?

Anyways if that doesn't translate if enough for you, well atleast I tryed.

FknBadFkr said:
a bud of mine has a 2.3T in a 83 Jeep CJ7 and it tows trailers just fine..we used it to pull a double axle car trailer from Charleston SC to Kernersville NC loaded with an F250 workbed truck with compressor/welder set up and it was fine...even in the hills the turbo jus spooled sooner becouse of the load....the only real mod he had to do was change the gear in the diffs becouse he went from an auto 6cyl. to the T4 trans and 4cyl..............................Hal

I'm sure anything is possible but I would almost have to see this one for some weird reason ;) I know the 4.0L I6 jeeps put out some torque but not less than a 2.3T....do they?

we are in Charleston SC..he is about to put in a better clutch he had a few old used parts and threw it together now it slips..lol..when its back on the road ill post a video..its fun to see a 4cyl turbo jeep spin 33" tires or slide around corners..heck its still geared high and he can gt over 100mph but i dont like jeeps over 85..lol........it still a jeep and handles like one...Im not shure what the old torque rating was but its nowhere near the fun and ease as the 2.3...no need to shift as often and when it spools peeps look...hell its like driving a short tall mustang/Tbird and handles about as good..LMAO...................Hal

well identical except for the spoiler, I was talking engine, and the aod trans, but it will e a 7.5 axle that's why the reference for the (85) in 86 they started using the 8.8 I mean engine wise I already got the 15 inch rims with 235/60 tires from the 87 GT (yeah turbine sucks but I didn't have anymore money :( ) as for pick a part well I brought money but not enough :(
A 2.3 turbo will kick in as needed, but you tow anything with it you will kill your engine.
As for my car well when I get the money together it will be a 5.0 with an AOD tranny (I need the fourth gear or I'll be getting 15mpg on the highway)
Manual is cool but quite frankly I'm too lazy to learn a manual :p well driven manual shifted tractors, but that was like when I was thirteen, Havn't gotten into car till Now (33) because quite frankly I've been more into bikes (riceburners and hogs) and I've been broke for years.
Now I bought this beat-up mustang and I will be turning into the ultimate mustang, well ultimate fox-body hatchback mustang
The svo spoiler just looks so good and it will make aero dynamical sence one I add the 5.0 and maybe even a supercharger.
I need an svo hood as well supercharger or not the svo turbo air intake just makes sence talk about cold air intake :p
Anyway that's all for now and yes it was an 86 with the rounded lights.:(

terramir

terramir said:
well identical except for the spoiler, I was talking engine, and the aod trans, but it will e a 7.5 axle that's why the reference for the (85) in 86 they started using the 8.8 I mean engine wise I already got the 15 inch rims with 235/60 tires from the 87 GT (yeah turbine sucks but I didn't have anymore money :( )

Oh I think I know what you're talking about....a GT350 :shrug: This is the only GT trhat came with a 2.3T and maybe a AOD. I'm not on the up as far as these cars go but I think the 2.3T GT package ended in 84.5. I also need to research this but I think they offered the 5.0L as well as the 2.3T. This meaning not ever GT that year was a 2.3T. Again I'm not big into these cars so don't quote me but there is a stang history site that has it all.

terramir said:
I add the 5.0 and maybe even a supercharger.I need an svo hood as well supercharger or not the svo turbo air intake just makes sence talk about cold air intake :p

The SVO stock hood isn't designed for Cold air induction, it's designed to cool the Stock intercooler. Once SVO guy does a FMIC swap the stock SVO hood is almost useless. Anyways, the air inlet hose goes into the fender like any other fox stang. If a SVO wants colder intake air they simply do like a 5.0L guy does; they ditch the stock air box and throw on a conical K&N filter. The filter is deep down low into the pasg fender and collects plenty of cold air. I think a guy dyno this on a SVO as adding 9rwhp. Anyways if you plan to put a SC 5.0L in there or even a 2.3T I would save my money on a hood and put it where it can be used. If I was going to install a different hood it wouyld be a cowl induction since this would help reduce temps under the hood really nice.

terramir said:
Anyway that's all for now and yes it was an 86 with the rounded lights.:(

terramir

All SVO has squareish head lights, the question is if they are flush with the turn lights or counter sunk?

Pro-Hawk said:
Oh I think I know what you're talking about....a GT350 :shrug: This is the only GT trhat came with a 2.3T and maybe a AOD. I'm not on the up as far as these cars go but I think the 2.3T GT package ended in 84.5. I also need to research this but I think they offered the 5.0L as well as the 2.3T. This meaning not ever GT that year was a 2.3T. Again I'm not big into these cars so don't quote me but there is a stang history site that has it all.
No I gonna put a 5.0 in mine then it will be identical to the 85/86 GT (fuel injection from the 86 7.5 axle like the 85 GT (except for the spoiler and maybe the hood)

Pro-Hawk said:
The SVO stock hood isn't designed for Cold air induction, it's designed to cool the Stock intercooler. Once SVO guy does a FMIC swap the stock SVO hood is almost useless. Anyways, the air inlet hose goes into the fender like any other fox stang. If a SVO wants colder intake air they simply do like a 5.0L guy does; they ditch the stock air box and throw on a conical K&N filter. The filter is deep down low into the pasg fender and collects plenty of cold air. I think a guy dyno this on a SVO as adding 9rwhp. Anyways if you plan to put a SC 5.0L in there or even a 2.3T I would save my money on a hood and put it where it can be used. If I was going to install a different hood it wouyld be a cowl induction since this would help reduce temps under the hood really nice.
well never been used but it might work I'll have to look into it :p

Pro-Hawk said:
All SVO has squareish head lights, the question is if they are flush with the turn lights or counter sunk?
Yes they are square but the whole front headlights and blinkers are rounded not like the regular mustang which Has the sunken in visabillity light group which is sunken in and has sort of a pointed look altogether
Hope this clears it up
terramir

terramir said:
No I gonna put a 5.0 in mine then it will be identical to the 85/86 GT (fuel injection from the 86 7.5 axle like the 85 GT (except for the spoiler and maybe the hood)

If you plan to use EFI, go with a MAF instead of the old SD that these older GTs came with. They also made a 4bl carb 85 GT that actually put out 20-30hp more than the EFI 85GT did. I raced one once and it was a pretty nice running car.

terramir said:
well never be used but may have to look in to it :p

Here is a pic of a 84 GT (this one being a 2.3T). If you look closely you will see it would take some work just to use a SVO hood on a 84-86GT. The front nose pice would basicaly have to be swaped and the car would no longer resemble a GT/LX. Also this is how I can tell between the two cars, they have a different turn light on them. This is how I tell a SVO without having to see the rest of the car with a Bi-wing etc.

http://home.pon.net/huccicutt/images/84MustangGT350.jpg

terramir said:
Yes they are square but the whole front headlights and blinkers are rounded not like the regular mustang which Has the sunken in visabillity light group which is sunken in and has sort of a pointed look altogether
Hope this clears it up
terramir

here is a picture or the 85.5 - 86 SVO.

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/images/SVOmustang.jpg

actually I was thinking an aftermarket or an SVO hood from one that is going the junk way, and cut the front of it to size to fit like a gt/lx hood, because I dun really like the SVO front I just like the hood :p if it's gonna get crushed anyway or it's a remake it's not as much of a sacralige :p
as for the motor I was planning a 5.0 with efi and the aod, Somehow there were a few of those built in 86 at least as prototypes delivered to the epa. Because for that year there is actually gas mileage data for that configuration. would be great to have actually gets one mile better adjusted fuel milage on the freeway than a 5 speed (something about late shifting I think LOL). I'm not looking for a 10 second car (well add some NOS :p and your close ) just a bit of a ring and the emergency power needed in a crunch without worring that I will drop my engine (I got my 4 banger up to 92 once in a little crunch with a truck trying to side swipe me, the way that thing groweled I worried I was gonna drop my engine in the next 50 miles.
And generally the four banger sucks when it comes to lower end power, Although ever since I replaced my carb spacer it's been a little better.
that's all BTW yes it's an 85.5-86 svo that died :nonono: at the sun valley pick your part, and your first picture didn't work.
terramir
PS:I want a car that is a little unique here and there, That is another reason I want a modified SVO hood (even a copy will do) and an SVO spoiler. I also will be covering everything in this car (except the carpet) with black leather. This will be my little unique mustang :p

terramir said:
actually I was thinking an aftermarket or an SVO hood from one that is going the junk way, and cut the front of it to size to fit like a gt/lx hood, because I dun really like the SVO front I just like the hood :p if it's gonna get crushed anyway or it's a remake it's not as much of a sacralige :p

How many must die before you get your car done :scratch:

Also keep in mind they SVO hood scoop is not centered on top of the hood. It's closer to the pasg side of the car the the IC is located. Now they do make a aftermarket version of the SVO hood but I think it only comes attached to the top part of a cowl induction hood.

terramir said:
as for the motor I was planning a 5.0 with efi and the aod, Somehow there were a few of those built in 86 at least as prototypes delivered to the epa. Because for that year there is actually gas mileage data for that configuration. would be great to have actually gets one mile better adjusted fuel milage on the freeway than a 5 speed (something about late shifting I think LOL). I'm not looking for a 10 second car (well add some NOS :p and your close ) just a bit of a ring and the emergency power needed in a crunch without worring that I will drop my engine (I got my 4 banger up to 92 once in a little crunch with a truck trying to side swipe me, the way that thing groweled I worried I was gonna drop my engine in the next 50 miles.

I could see where all this would be worth doing if you was restoring a 85/86GT but not to make a clone. If you got that kind of money to drop in a 5.0L EFI system, why not just drop in a 91-93 5.0L? Heck these came with enough power to get you into the 14's stock with a AOD and uses a fordged piston that would allow you some room to grow with nitrous/SC.

terramir said:
And generally the four banger sucks when it comes to lower end power, Although ever since I replaced my carb spacer it's been a little better.

Not the 2.3Ts ;)

terramir said:
that's all BTW yes it's an 85.5-86 svo that died :nonono: at the sun valley pick your part, and your first picture didn't work.
terramir

I think theres about 1000 between the two years, or was. Now it's probaly around 500 total :(

terramir said:
PS:I want a car that is a little unique here and there, That is another reason I want a modified SVO hood (even a copy will do) and an SVO spoiler. I also will be covering everything in this car (except the carpet) with black leather. This will be my little unique mustang :p

The best thing I can say is...it will be different. I think I'm one of 3 SVO owners out of a 250,000 populated area and I think mines the only one on the road at this time.

Pro-Hawk said:
How many must die before you get your car done :scratch:

I could see where all this would be worth doing if you was restoring a 85/86GT but not to make a clone. If you got that kind of money to drop in a 5.0L EFI system, why not just drop in a 91-93 5.0L? Heck these came with enough power to get you into the 14's stock with a AOD and uses a fordged piston that would allow you some room to grow with nitrous/SC.
your telling me a 91-93 5.0 is an HO of the same size and will fit inside an 86 LX? with only the having to fix the wiring and the springs well if it has more power than the 86 HO I will probably have to take the breaks as well and the 8.8 LOL hmmm now just find a smashed up 91-93 doner car :p and just find an SVO spoiler :p
Well when I have like a grand or two that's the donor car I'm looking for then :p
I thought with the 87 they changed a bunch of stuff :S
:D Now that puts me in the realm of less that 150k on the motor :p
thanks for letting me know
terramir

terramir said:
your telling me a 91-93 5.0 is an HO of the same size and will fit inside an 86 LX?

A 302 is a 302 no matter how you slice it

terramir said:
with only the having to fix the wiring and the springs well if it has more power than the 86 HO I will probably have to take the breaks as well and the 8.8 LOL hmmm now just find a smashed up 91-93 doner car :p and just find an SVO spoiler :p

The 4 bar carb 85 GT had 210 hp, basicaly the same hp as the 85.5-86 SVO. Anyways the 91-93 stangs wasn't to much more, I think they are about 225bhp. The main reason I would use a newer 5.0L is the fordged pistons and the MAF. Now you can convert a SD to a MAF but why do that if you can jkust install a MAF to begin with.

Now for the springs, some 5.0L guys run a 4cl spring to lower the car but if you want a stock highth car than yes you'll need some V8 srpings.

Ok now for this 8.8 deal. The SVO use a 7.5 and has done really good with them. If I ever plan to run over 300+ rwhp i'll consider a 8.8 swap but until then I'm not going to worry about it.

terramir said:
Well when I have like a grand or two that's the donor car I'm looking for then :p

Hell I wouod almost consider buying a Grand marque just to get a 5.0L if I was going that route. Now granted they have crap for heads but you can find some used GT-40 heads pretty easy I'm sure.

terramir said:
I thought with the 87 they changed a bunch of stuff :S
:D Now that puts me in the realm of less that 150k on the motor :p
thanks for letting me know
terramir

Here is what I found on the 86:

EFI with speed density air intake, dual exhaust, but more restrictive heads. The 7.5-inch rear end was replaced by the sturdier 8.8 inch. The compression ratio went up from 8.4 to 9.2:1. Horsepower was down in ’86 compared to ’85, but torque increased.

Last year for the SVO. A total of 10,000 were produced between '84 and '86.

Related Events 1986 For the first time since 1926 Ford's earnings were higher than GM's.

This is all I found on a 87:

The restrictive heads were replaced and a bigger throttle body was added along with cam, intake and exhaust manifold changes to increase HP by 25. An air silencer was placed upstream from the filter at the cost of a couple HP. Compression ratio was 9.0:1.
Bigger front disc brakes. Wheels were 15 x 7 inches.
The car was about 180 inches long, an inch shorter than the original Mustang.
Base price for a GT was $11,300.

Related Events 1987 Ford has record profits of $4.6 billion
Ford is heavily criticized when it's learned they plan on replacing the Mustang with a Japanese-derived FWD. Ford recants, keeps the Mustang and renames the new car the Probe ( bet ya didn't know they was replacing the stang with a Probe :eek: )

Here is what I found on the 88:

In California the Speed Density intake was replaced by the "smarter" Mass Air metering. This improved drivability, emissions, and fuel economy, but with a slight drop in HP. Mass Air has better flexibility for moderate to large HP upgrades because the computer can adjust to modifications.

1989-90
Mass Air for all 5.0’s. A minor cam change to quiet the valve train cost a couple of HP.

Related Events 1990 Ford buys Jaguar
375 HP ZR1 Corvette introduced
Average new car has a top speed of 120 MPH & gets 20 MPG

Then here is the 91-93:

1991-92
16 x 7 inch wheels introduced in '91.
Generally, the '89 through '92's are considered the best for adding engine modifications. The combination of stronger block, MAF, better heads and forged pistons (pre-'85's and the'93's had cast pistons) make these easier to modify and more reliable.

Related Events 1992 400 HP Dodge Viper introduced

The last of the Fox-bodied Mustangs. The published HP was now 205 though there was no specific change causing the drop, just an accumulation of changes from previous years and Ford decided to publish "honest" numbers. The GT-40 equipped Cobra was conservatively rated at 235 HP. A very limited edition Cobra R of 107 cars deleted A/C, the stereo and the back seat and added better brakes and a stiffer suspension.
Base price for a '93 GT was $15050.

5.0 Cobra motor '93 Cobra R

here is a break down on Hp for the Fox:

HP ratings of the Fox-bodied V8 Mustangs

Year
Displacement
Intake
HP

1979 5.0 2 bbl 140
1980-81 4.2 2 bbl 120
1982 5.0 2 bbl 157
4.2 (w/auto) 2 bbl 120
1983 5.0 4 bbl 175
1984 5.0 4 bbl 175
Throttle body FI (w/auto) 165
1985 5.0 4 bbl 210
Throttle body FI (w/auto) 180
1986 5.0 SEFI SD 200
1987 5.0 SEFI SD 225
1988 5.0 SEFI SD, MAF (Calif) 225
1989-92 5.0 SEFI MAF 225
1993 5.0 SEFI MAF 205
5.0 Cobra SEFI MAF 235
Abbreviations:
bbl = barrels in carburetor; FI = fuel injection; SEFI = sequential electronic fuel injection; SD = speed density air intake measurement; MAF = mass air flow computerized air intake measurement