Just came into possession of an 88 mustang GT, Need some assistance

Edgar.Sanders

Apr 11, 2019
Houston TX
Thanks for your feedback. Went out last night to check things out. Battery, dead as a stone... I think I have a battery drain in this, not looking forward to that. pulled the fuse panel in the car, more empty slots than full (Oh, Joy!) Going to start with a fresh battery as this one is old. Then start plugging things back in and watch and wait. If anyone has suggestions (I've read some of the electrical troubleshooting threads) and possibly recommendations on test equipment etc it will be very much appreciated.
Be

• Sponsors (?)

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
Thanks for your feedback. Went out last night to check things out. Battery, dead as a stone... I think I have a battery drain in this, not looking forward to that. pulled the fuse panel in the car, more empty slots than full (Oh, Joy!) Going to start with a fresh battery as this one is old. Then start plugging things back in and watch and wait. If anyone has suggestions (I've read some of the electrical troubleshooting threads) and possibly recommendations on test equipment etc it will be very much appreciated.
Troubleshooting battery drains

Typically it is something draining the battery. Small things like glove box or courtesy lights are often the culprits. If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, it is also suspect.

The ideal method is to disconnect the negative terminal, and connect a Digital Multimeter (DVM) between the negative terminal on the battery and the negative cable. Set the DVM on a low current scale of 2-5 amps if it doesn't auto-range. Watch the current draw, and then start pulling out fuses. When you see a sudden drop in the current, that circuit is the likely culprit. Note that the computer, radio & clock will draw less than 1/10 amp to keep the settings alive.

See http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/automotive/beatbook.pdf. You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

If you can’t find the current drain by pulling fuses, then the alternator is suspect or any aftermarket sound or lighting equipment that may be on the car. Disconnect the alternator output power plug, then disconnect any aftermarket sound or lighting equipment while watching the current on the DVM.