Just got 34mpg...

93 teal terror

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2001
Durham N.C.
after getting an AFPR that worked right, I set the fuel pressure at 39 vac off and 32 vac on with the timing at 12 degrees on 87 octane. It usually takes almost half a tank to get back to school and tonight it only took 1/4. So I checked the MPG and its getting 34!!! It used to get around 22-25 on the highway. It runs better than ever with no early signs of detonation but Im going to keep checking. Air/Fuel on dyno before AFPR was around 11.5 or so. With gas as expensive as it is this is great :banana: I was doing 65-80 the whole way with 2:73's.

• Sponsors (?)

93 teal terror said:
lol...yup I wouldnt believe it either if I didnt just do it myself. Keep in mind though this wasnt a full tank. Went 126 miles on 3.7 gallons....comes out to 34.054mpg :D

hm....my schools around 120 miles from my house...I never tryed to see what for gas milage I get, maybe I should get a afpr and set it like urs and maybe ill get some better...normally i get like 20+ street driving haha

guess you don't have to buy a prius after all.

I have read claims of 34mpg with a 350 horse LS1 and 26mpg with some 700hp carbed ford... so it's perfectly believable. Neglecting the friction a larger engine makes, it takes the same amount of fuel to make the same amount of power so with the right tune and driving style you should get pretty close to as good mileage as any import beater.

Matt90GT said:
so you can drive 523.6 miles before the tank is dry? (15.4 x 34)

Keep driving. Bet you dont make 300.
Would love to but unfortunatly dont have anywhere to go thats 500 miles away on the highway. But I will check it again when i get home. I know it sounds kinda high but unless my trip is off I dont see how it can be wrong. I used to get around 280-300 a tank on highway driving and this was when it was running really rich. ~11.5 air/fuel ratio. Thats around 21-23mpg. Now it runs 10 times better and I didnt use near the gas I normally would. It only cost $5.50 to fill up after going 126 miles. Im not trying to prove anything here, cause i have no reason to make this up....just excited about what i found

Hey there Ray! You said "Neglecting the friction a larger engine makes, it takes the same amount of fuel to make the same amount of power so with the right tune and driving style you should get pretty close to as good mileage as any import beater."

Unfortunately, it's not so simple. There are many other variables besides engine friction that impact steady-state (Interstate cruising) fuel economy. One area that directly impacts engine efficiency is compression ratio. All things being equal, higher compression ratio makes for a more efficient package - that is, the same power level can be generated with less fuel used. Many newer vehicles are running much higher compression ratios as we've gotten better at managing resulting higher NOx output and detonation. State of tune is also a big issue - all things equal, a car running with a richer a/f will consume more fuel under the same conditions than a vehicle running a leaner a/f. Rolling resistance is another small contributor - most of the smaller imports have much smaller tires which create less rolling resistance than the tires on our cars. Of course, if you're going net-uphill (from the beach to the mountains), the car's weight is contributing factor. But the biggest potential difference between older Stangs (and my car) and newer "import beaters" is aerodynamics. Those are a function of drag coefficient and frontal area. Any newer import is gonna have a lower drag coefficient, and most of them are physically smaller and have much less frontal area than our cars. Just a few differences off the top of my head - much more involved than engine friction.

93teal - great one-time measurement; however, keep measuring, I think you'll find you got an anomoly. First, a/f on the dyno is measured at wide open throttle where the computer is in open loop. That is, it's not using the feedback from the O2 sensors; it's using tabular data to determine how much fuel to inject, and the computer is designed to run a bit rich then because it's a safer condition for the engine. At a steady state cruise, before and after the afpr install, the car's in closed loop and it's using the O2 sensor feedback to run much leaner than at wide open throttle. So installing the new regulator and then concluding that you're leaner at cruise is like comparing apples and oranges. You were leaner at cruise than at wide open throttle before too - you just don't have any cruise a/f data to look at. Second, when you make a fuel pressure change, you can impact a/f ratio for some period of time. But the ecu in our cars has learning adaptive strategies. If a component is malfunctioning, the computer will "learn" based on data from the sensors (O2's in particular) and it will make and store changes that will allow it to adapt to new conditions. So, if your stock regulator was allowing too high a pressure, over time (relatively short period of time) the computer would trim the pulse-times of the injectors to make the system inject the correct amount of fuel even at the higher pressure so it's getting O2 readings within the realm of what it expects. And if it couldn't make a big enough adjustment to account for that, it would set off error codes and (usually) a check engine light to let the driver know something had malfunctioned in a way that it couldn't adjust for any longer. So, your new afpr might've leaned things out for a bit, but as soon as the computer adjusted for the new pressures, it would be controlling mixture to the same levels it did before.

I do believe a real 34 mpg is possible for a short run in car like yours - but only if EXTREME driving measures were taken; drafting when possible (heavy traffic running at speed makes a 3-4 mpg difference), coasting down hills, limiting speed, etc. I'd bet there were multiple things at work that stacked in your favor in terms of the calculation. A pump that allowed complete filling of the tank when you started out, combined with a pump that wouldn't let you fill completely when you topped off can make a huge difference in the calculation. Most cars can be anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons shy of full, and the fuel gauge still reads full. If the pump cut off early leaving you say 1 gallon shy of full, but you thought you were full based on your gauge, your mileage would've been about 26 mpg. If you've had a tire size change - to a shorter tire - then your odometer is telling you you're going further than you actually are. And then there is potential speedo error. However, those last two items were at work when you were calculating your mileage before too. Keep checking and let us know how the mileage looks over the long term. I'd guess that over the long run, you'll find your mileage calculations won't be that 'exciting'.

Im not just using the air/fuel ratio from a dyno to conclude that its running leaner, Im also using the fact that I had it inspected before and after the AFPR and before my hydrocarbons were almost 400ppm, now they dropped to below 200ppm and will probably continue to drop due to the fact that I had it inspected right after and didnt allow any of the fuel or fuel vapors that had been dumped in the cats to burn off. The first time the guy tested it, it didnt pass but he let it idle some more and tried it and it passed. Im not sure what rpm they test HC's at, I think its either at idle or 2000 rpm, but this gives a better representation that the car is in fact leaner. As for the learning curve, my car has run rich for over a year and no check engine light. It didnt learn to lower the fuel pressure and I doubt it will learn to raise the pressure. The fuel pressure is mechanically controlled not electronically. Thats like telling someone who puts a big blower on the car not to change the fuel pressure that the computer will change it for ya.

As for filling up, I always fill it up till it starts to come out of the overflow tube when I check MPG. Dont know if thats the best way or not but thats how I do it. I didnt drive "EXTREMELY" and I hate to be behind other cars so I wasnt drafting. Part of the trip, about 35 miles, was at 80mph, the rest was at 65-75 usually around 70.

93teal - re-read my post. I didn't say the computer alters fuel pressure. I said it shortens the pulse width - it tells the injector to open for a shorter time to compensate if fuel pressure's high causing richer mixture's that the O2's are sensing.