Progress Thread 89 hatch hydroplanedrifterweldeddiff thread:

This is a pictorial exercise on how to guarantee that your Fox body car will be “worth less“ than you paid for it.

Dude...stop.

What you are doing to this car is equivalent to watching a crusher smash it into a square mass of steel.
The stuff you do is best left for the Honda Civic that you shoulda started with...Somebody coulda saved that car...You have guaranteed that it needs to be shot in the middle of the forehead.

And buried in a shallow grave.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

rofl. (i know ur serious, but im still laughing) As i clicked on the bell notification i smiled like oh god.. Then i saw it was you that posted and i was like yep. lolol.

Thankyou for your generous input, ur so kind.

Hang on..... Hold the fck on... No im not laughing. This is from the guy who put a 2JZ in a ford right?
Hang on..... Hold the fck on... No im not laughing. This is from the guy who put a 2JZ in a ford right?
You have to admit, that was kinda 'touche'
Well done there slider :nice:
While he has his opinion and has the right to voice it you also have the right to build your car anyway you want, who knows, you may be another drift star.
So got plans for the track yet?

That is correct sir.
To clarify...
It looks like you are more than capable of doing this stuff on your own, which deserves merit. At the same time, it also looks like you are not afraid to jump right in and do it. And yeahhh theres that “ it’s your car, and it’s your money” thing too, which entitles you to do what you want with your time and money.

But when it comes to doing stuff to these cars, most wanna see something positive come out of the effort.

When you painted that car, I said to myself that for a first time effort, that didn’t look too bad, so again,..I thought it was a positive thing given all of the rust you chose to fix.
But...
Taking a sawzall to a front fender and then slapping on a fender flare to make a tire clear because you simply would rather run the wrong offset wheel, or building a plywood skyscraper wing, and a 59 pound rear diffuser for a car that‘ll probably never see an aero benefit from either, while both mods are more than likely going to fall off while traveling down the road ( because of your self-admitted zip tie method of attachment) are the equivalent of doing sht the wrong way.

Look around here for a minute..No parking lot drifters, nobody building external aero mods out of plywood or mdf, nobody butchering fenders with a sawzall.
There are some guys that do road race here though,...cars that see real speed where something intended to add downforce better be well built, and equally well attached or otherwise, the wind that works to add that downforce would just rip that sht right off the car. Those same guys are running 9” wheels up front under stock fenders with 275 width tires. ( yours are what?...like a 7-8“ rim with a 215 stretched onto it?)

Bottom line for me is always the same. If you don’t want input from someone don’t put it out there. There are several ways to do things to a car, a lot are good, some are exceptional, and just as many are just wrong.
Im quite sure you coulda made that car better had you chose to, I think you’re capable.

Just because some cultures think its acceptable to boil live cats before skinning them alive and eating them doesn’t make it ok everywhere else.
Stop boiling the cat.

Reactions: 1 users
Still rockin the zip ties? You could have bought real hardware instead of stickers...

And now all you need for the “fisher price my first cliche car” is a stuffed animal hanging off the tow hook.

Don’t you wreck this car a lot drifting? Why the cosmetic stuff now? Maybe driver mod first?

I probably would have found a way to come through one of the openings already in the bumper for the tow strap, rather than cutting that up........ but again....... your car, so have fun....... and post vids!!

Fenders are $60 bucks a piece. Not a big deal. Cutting up the rear fenders is the real commitment. Which i'll do when i get wheels. I would road race it/track it once i had susp/brakes done. Any serious non class track dayer road racer i think would be running at least 285's all around. There gonna need bigger flares than i got. Big wide tires would be my cheap way to grip the car up tremendously.

Anyway, ima do angle kit on car sometime hopefully and its 2.5in longer track per side. so its a necessity for a drift stang. Basicallly that clearance is a necessity any route i go.

Im just joking anyway. The 2J is badass. Id do it if i could probably. But iono, i wont go JDM on motor b/c then its too much for my style. (and work, $$$) Id keep V8. Prob just rebuild and alum head. Id be happy there.

You dont need much HP for drift/ slow road racing lol. Its great, and would if i could. But keeping it cheap and reliable can still be a ton of fun with nice coil overs and 285's or 305's all around.

My rear diffuser is on pretty solidly metal brackets/bolts. good to 140mph. Ya zipties aint gonna cut it there.

Thats not a wood wing, its carbon fiber/aluminum stands.

Yes the lip is ziptied on. Its good to 140mph too i bet.

I dont go over 100 in the car.

I just wanted to make something i enjoy looking at. And be the only one with its particular set of mods. Which i think it is.

• Hell Yeah!
I heard a pro drifter say he can feel a wing over like 50mph. It creates downforce and just helps the car push out. Drifters call it sidebite and forward bite, so downforce would give you more forward bite. At my "street spots" (warehouse lots) i dont drift over 40mph so i wont notice it and in the wet only (no tire squeals/noise) and tire saveage) I did it just to make it more clear its a road race or drift "race" car. I dont think i noticed any difference.

Point being, its just for style for me. But it might help on a road race track if you had the brakes/susp. to support race laps.

If i ever get it built enough to do a track day at a fast track. I'll try it w/o wing to see if i notice any difference. Thats for sure.

Aero gets real scientific real fast. On a F1 car its everything. But they avg prob 150mph per lap. lol. On road race mustangs, its probably a few tenths per lap.

A spoiler.... Spoils areo dynamic lift... It basically resists the force that wants to rip the car into the air.

Down force is created by using a proper front valance and air damn to create a vacuum under the car.

A spoiler.... Spoils areo dynamic lift... It basically resists the force that wants to rip the car into the air.

Down force is created by using a proper front valance and air damn to create a vacuum under the car.
You’re trying to convey scientific theory to someone who doesn’t see the problem with body parts attached with zip ties. It’s like trying to get your pet potato ready for med school.

You guys knocking his 'modifications ' need to realize that 'drifting' is going to be an Olympic sport someday and his zip ties just allow for adjustment and the 'towel rack' on the back is like a uniform for the drift crowd.
How many of you guy's have done sketchy stuff to a car to achieve 'the look' only to take it off later for a new/better part that may or may not add to the look/performance you want to emulate?
Does he need a wing that big? Prolly not but it gives him the 'look' he wants and the zip ties will give way to better more permanent fasteners.
Fat rubber in the back and skinny up from has emulated the drag car look for as long as I remember and a lot of those car never ran a quarter mile track but look kool. Some of those even became accomplished drag racers,
He may become the next american drift car star.
Then he can afford to pay someone to put a silly wing on whatever he wants. And we will remember him as 'that guy' on stangnet.
So here's to 'bigger wings, more zip ties and do'n it sideways ' :nice:

Do you need help adding a turbo and hater pipe..?

I can give you a recipe that works, fits in with the crowd and sounds very roudy.

My best friend is a Honda nerd, I have a stock[ish] S2K that I love twisting up to 9k [has the god like F20c engine] ect.

I dont mind the cars with : stance... or wings or whatever to each there own and all that. I cant wait for the reactions when I get my car finished up and I place my tuning logo at a 30* angle along the rear quarter/ door..
Why because I like the tuner look but also like classics.

• Hell Yeah!
Right on. Woulda responded, didnt see or check the post.

Ya now i am about to start using zipties on the bumper quick disconnects. They hold tighter than the o rings. Ill just keep a pair of little snippet pliars in the car. Last night lost an o ring while drifting had to ziptie it up. I keep zipties in the car now. Lol.

Anyway,

Put on that hi torque mini starter, made a 2/0 starter cable, and added a + bus bar to get all these +'s off the starter relay. Made a 1/0 wire from relay to bus bar. Solid connections now. Much better.

Fixed the hot start issue! Stoked on that b/c it was annoying as hell.

New contour fans next, as only 1 is working.