K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit: Ford Mustang Gt; V8-4.6l; Sohc; 1996-04

Just wondered who has installed them on there motors and if they think it's worth the 200 bucks?

Their Dyno sheet claimed 27 hp gain in 99 GT is this true?
if so what kind of gain do you think an 03/04 would get bearing in mind that we have 23 lbs/hr injectors instead of 19 lbs/hr...
just a thought?

• Sponsors (?)

sgarlic said:
27hp.. doubtful. I've heard a lot of complaints from people who install them that they have problems going lean running those.

At the very least it means there is more air going in. A tune would fix it. Anyway, WOT is running really rich anyway.

hotdog71 said:
Just wondered who has installed them on there motors and if they think it's worth the 200 bucks?

if so what kind of gain do you think an 03/04 would get bearing in mind that we have 23 lbs/hr injectors instead of 19 lbs/hr...
just a thought?

I found mine went lean and started detonation after addiing a SCT 2 high octane tune. SCT says they can reflash me in the spring when my stang comes back out to play. For now the K&N FIPK is back in the box.

If you want to buy one... email me at [email protected] I might sell if you want one (fits 99-04 and has only 5k summer miles on it).

On the dyno sheet that came with the package on my K&N FIPK II it said 9.3rwhp and 13.1rwtq. I dunno where 27hp came from...don't think the intakes are any different. Haven't had any issues as far as detonation.

hotdog71 said:

just a thought?

I could see, possibly, 27 hp on a s/c car, but no F'n way on N/A car. I bought mine for $220 couple of years ago, first mod, and I didn't notice any difference. I like the looks. I like to re-oil instead of buying a new paper filter. But if you have something better to do with your money, I would say do that instead. If you've got couple hundreds burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.

The Demolet Tuneable Inductions claim just as much HP gains as the KN...although neither are going to be 20'somethin HP. Demolet are cheaper too and I haven't read anything about detonation probs. Just my .02...but I don't really know much either!

On a supercharged application, the FIPK might actually net you some HP that makes the money it costs worthwhile.

My opinion is, if you're going to stay naturally aspirated, you should do whatever you feel is worth it to you. From what others say, and what you'll hear probably after my post, the FIPK won't give you much of a gain, at least SOTP wise. The problem is, the only investment you can make around that price and actually FEEL the difference is gears. Cams would be the next step up probably.

If you have the money around, and won't feel ripped off when you can't tell the difference, then I say go for it dude. If not, then heck, save up and get yourself a nice set of gears, or some vt sage 1 cams.

Stangdriver1119 said:
On the dyno sheet that came with the package on my K&N FIPK II it said 9.3rwhp and 13.1rwtq. I dunno where 27hp came from...don't think the intakes are any different. Haven't had any issues as far as detonation.

Heh...i got 9.3rwHP and 6.3 ft-lbs at the peak over stock. At 5500RPM, the torque gain was more like 12 ft-lbs or so.

I'd never believe 27HP, not on a PI GT...

scupking said:
I was thinking of getting the FIPK II but it seems like it would be wiser just to do the air silence removal and replace the stock filter with a K&N filter for $40. What do you guys think?

thats what im wondering as well.....it should give out the same or almost the same power increase I would think

I believe the 27hp number was on a Cobra, not a GT. On the 04 GT, they claim a 10hp @ 4945 RPM. Not bad for $200 and no labor (self-install). I had the JLT and switched to the FIPK. Fit is better with FIPK and install was alot easier.

Out of all the cold air kits on the market, this is one of only a few that has actually been proved to add power and reduce times at the 1/4 mile. I have one, as does my brother and we are both happy with ours. The choice is up to you, but I know as well as I'm setting here you're not going to see 27hp with it. As for the injector question, your stock 19lb/hr injectors should do just fine until you get serious modifications, like internal motor work and/or boost.

If you want to dwell on seat of the pants, very few mods short of motor work will give you what you want. Modding is incremental.

As for the silencer comment, the K&N drop in is much smaller of a filter, also most of the filter is enclosed even if you remove the silencer. You will have to cut into the air box to expose more the filter and probably set up a heat shield to at least partially block out the heat. And then you have to add the fact that the inlet tube isn't perfectly smooth and it does have a bottle neck in it when it comes to contact with the vavle cover, in other words its not the same diameter throughout. Not perhaps the most signifcant thing, but every bit adds up doesn't it?

ponysarepretty, I see you have just the drop in K&N and I take it you have not removed the silencer. I just don't no if its worth spending $200 for 5 more hp. What I have been reading from different sources is if you remove the silencer and put the drop in K&N in, you should still gain hp. One thing I won't do is cut into the air box to expose more of the filter. I will leave it as is so I won't need to build a heat shield.

scupking said:
ponysarepretty, I see you have just the drop in K&N and I take it you have not removed the silencer. I just don't no if its worth spending $200 for 5 more hp. What I have been reading from different sources is if you remove the silencer and put the drop in K&N in, you should still gain hp. One thing I won't do is cut into the air box to expose more of the filter. I will leave it as is so I won't need to build a heat shield.
Let me be the first (and not the last) to tell you that to find a part on a modular motor that will give you 5hp per 200 dollars you spend, with the exception of boost is going to be difficult to say the least.

BTW, New Era Performance Parts has the K&N FIPK induction kit for cheaper than 200 dollars. Not to mention there are many people who put their K&N FIPK induction kits up for sale in the classified sections of these Mustang boards because they've either sold their stang or they've switched intakes.

scupking said:

Buy another airbox housing (like I did) people are willing to sell for as little as 20$ and cut half of it out so it is a semi heat shield.