Kenne Bell 2.1 Install questions

TRICKYGT

Jun 7, 2011
Rochester, NY
Has anyone installed one?

If so was it difficult? Want to know if this is something i can do myself. I would consider myself to be okay around a socket set.

What comes with the kit? Any instructions would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you tried calling KB? I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to install a PD blower and all of the internet hype says the KB kits are very well engineered and come with everything you need.

The first time I did mine, it took a day and a half. When I sold it, I helped the guy install it in my driveway in about 4 hours.

Everything comes with the kit, and if you know your way around the engine....it is simple, very straight forward. The only thing I had difficulty with was a bracket bolt on the rear of one of the heads...after that, I bought a set of racheting wrenches. It is possible to do it yourself, the one thing that will be hard (and believe me, I did this a FEW times) is getting the blower and manifold in there. It isnt a lightweight, so if you can have someone just help you stick it on top of the motor, the rest is cake.

The KB kit is thorough and well done. Their instructions are clear, concise and detailed. As another guy said, make sure you have a buddy or two to help lift the thing in 'coz it's hella heavy...

Never installed one but I am thinking about getting one. What psi are you planning on running? Do you have a built block?

Stock block. Looking at the 9psi.

I did all the other mods on the car myself and I have replaced just about everything on my Mountaineer from CV shaft out. I feel quite confident about doing the install and will probably enlist son in law to give a hand (if I can get him away from his 3 X Celica project).

My clutch is about over so I ordered stage 2 and install next week and inspection and new tires tomorrow. Back on the road again!:D

Never installed one but I am thinking about getting one. What psi are you planning on running? Do you have a built block?

I did all the other mods on the car myself and I have replaced just about everything on my Mountaineer from CV shaft out. I feel quite confident about doing the install and will probably enlist son in law to give a hand (if I can get him away from his 3 X Celica project).

My clutch is about over so I ordered stage 2 and install next week and inspection and new tires tomorrow. Back on the road again!:D

Has anyone installed one?

If so was it difficult? Want to know if this is something i can do myself. I would consider myself to be okay around a socket set.

What comes with the kit? Any instructions would be awesome.

its not hard its time consuming. its much easier with a lift though when mounting the heat exchanger. but yea its not bad at all. probably took us a total of 20 hours doing it but thats because we ran into a couple speed bumps hahaha. i wouldnt do it yourself though you would need at least one other person. the KB unit itself weighs 75lbs and it would be tough setting that down on the motor.

TP!!!! :banana:

its not hard its time consuming. its much easier with a lift though when mounting the heat exchanger. but yea its not bad at all. probably took us a total of 20 hours doing it but thats because we ran into a couple speed bumps hahaha. i wouldnt do it yourself though you would need at least one other person. the KB unit itself weighs 75lbs and it would be tough setting that down on the motor.

Looks like we would have a very similar setup car wise from looking at your sig.
I can certainly enlist a friend to drop the blower in.
I can use the 70mm TB from my current setup but could I reuse my K+N CAI setup? Not sure if it will fit and I know the stock intake is long gone.

Looks like we would have a very similar setup car wise from looking at your sig.
I can certainly enlist a friend to drop the blower in.
I can use the 70mm TB from my current setup but could I reuse my K+N CAI setup? Not sure if it will fit and I know the stock intake is long gone.

I tried my FIPK after installing my KB and found it was a no-go. The blower puts the TB closer to the shock tower and prevents it from fitting. YMMV.

Consider sourcing an intake kit from Kenne Bell that actually gets cold air to the blower, such as:

Kenne Bell Cobra Cool Air Kit

that small 2.1 weighs 75 pounds?! jeeeeezus

the 9psi 2.1 kb kit is time consuming, but its not hard to install. their instructions are very detailed and easy to follow, the only issue i ran in to was the lack of detailed instructions for installing the boost-a-pump... but i figured it out. i didnt use a lift, its not really necessary...

i was able to keep my bbk cai, and your +1 on the Throttle body, but i suspect that if you decide to go this route, you will prolly wish you had the 75 mm. also, the blower unit is heavy, so ask a friend to help you set it on the block...

from one car guy to another...

if i could have done it all over again... i would have bought the larger blower / tuner kit... sucked it up and bought a cowl hood so it would clear the snout. im looking at going forged and chasing more hp, and once i do that, my limiting factor will be the 2.1... just some food for thought

the 9psi 2.1 kb kit is time consuming, but its not hard to install. their instructions are very detailed and easy to follow, the only issue i ran in to was the lack of detailed instructions for installing the boost-a-pump... but i figured it out. i didnt use a lift, its not really necessary...

i was able to keep my bbk cai, and your +1 on the Throttle body, but i suspect that if you decide to go this route, you will prolly wish you had the 75 mm. also, the blower unit is heavy, so ask a friend to help you set it on the block...

from one car guy to another...

if i could have done it all over again... i would have bought the larger blower / tuner kit... sucked it up and bought a cowl hood so it would clear the snout. im looking at going forged and chasing more hp, and once i do that, my limiting factor will be the 2.1... just some food for thought

I have been driving my Mountaineer for last 2 years and I drove the stang maybe 20 miles yesterday to get tires and inspection. So right now its a damn fast car compared to what I have been driving. I have 85000 miles on it and I am concerned a bigger blower will blow it to pieces. I think 400hp+ will do me just fine for right now.

Good news is my clutch and flywheel came in today so hopefully by Tuesday I will be back in action. Truely bitten by the mod bug again. Bugger. Forgot what it was like.

Thinking about modding the CAI with dryer vent.

Anyone know what info Kenne Bell require when ordering? I am about to call them and purchase however if they want any kind of info regarding computer etc I am kinda screwed as the car is in the shop right now having the clutch fitted.

Thanks in advance. (Want to order it now!!!)

Anyone know what info Kenne Bell require when ordering? I am about to call them and purchase however if they want any kind of info regarding computer etc I am kinda screwed as the car is in the shop right now having the clutch fitted.

Thanks in advance. (Want to order it now!!!)

For the KB tune I was given a questionnaire to fill out that included questions about every mod the car had, gas quality and so on. They do need the computer info but all you need is the code (e.g. "MDE2") from a sticker on the passenger door or on the PCM itself. The shop with the car should be able to give you that info over the phone...

For the KB tune I was given a questionnaire to fill out that included questions about every mod the car had, gas quality and so on. They do need the computer info but all you need is the code (e.g. "MDE2") from a sticker on the passenger door or on the PCM itself. The shop with the car should be able to give you that info over the phone...

Thankyou. Called them and found that out. Grrrrrrr:(

Car might be in shop until tomorrow as they were fitting me in if possible today. Will email them and see if they can get me the info.