kmember and front suspension question

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
1. Is the factory K member in my 83 bolted in? No welding at all?? So I could unbolt it and remove it?
2. if I remove it will the front suspension all come with it??

lets back up here.... I was going to install the engine/trans before tackling the front suspension as I ASSUME I need the weight to remove the front springs?? I have been steam cleaning and I would like to remove the k member to wire wheel it or have it blasted to maybe paint it as there is some rust on it I would like to address....

So can I get the front suspension apart without the engine tranny in it?? OR can I remove the entire front end ( k member and suspension) and remove the springs and lower control arms with a spring compressor??
Thanks for any advice

• Sponsors (?)

You would be best to use a spring compressor for the front springs. They need to come out before the K member iirc.

Its a pita to r and r stock front springs even with the engine in the car. Shorter, aftermarket ones go back in much easier. Its been years since did a K member, but I would pull the engine or support it from the top. With the engine out, access is much better to the steering shaft, and rack, as at least the shaft must be disconnected. Hoses also. I ended up making an internal compressor from 5/8 plate and a 5/8 threaded rod.

If you were experienced enough, dropping the whole thing down at once with the springs in place and controlling the springs is doable. Is it worth saving the time? Prob not.

If this is your first time, I would just unbolt the strut at the spindle and lower down the control arm and remove the spring. You can leave the control arms and spindles attached although it just adds weight

Tons of videos on YouTube showing both spring removable and removing the k-member. It’s not difficult but I can understand how if it’s your first time there would be questions.

If you were experienced enough, dropping the whole thing down at once with the springs in place and controlling the springs is doable. Is it worth saving the time? Prob not.

If this is your first time, I would just unbolt the strut at the spindle and lower down the control arm and remove the spring. You can leave the control arms and spindles attached although it just adds weight
I have done front springs years ago on a truck and a couple of 57 chevies... So I am aware of how the basics are..
Again my concern is with no engine/Transmission in the car, when I unbolt the strut I believe the spring will push the car UP due to lack of weight to hold it down, in a uncontrollable manner.... LOL ..

It actually has two engines, just not installed.
yeah, but this is the expensive one, at least compared to the other two
DSCF0864.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, no engine weight can cause the car to move up when unloading the springs, I would disassemble the suspension first, makes dealing with the k member much easier.
Been reading some interesting ideas to remove coil springs with NO engine...
Get some bags of sand to lay on the crossmember
get some " husky " friends to stand on the crossmember
Wrap a chain around the jack and the frame of the car, so the only movement will be the operation of the jack
Use a metal pole or some lumber and wedge it between the K member or frame and the garage ceiling....

If you anticipate the movement of the car unloading the spring you shouldn't be surprised, if you are paranoid like I am loop a sturdy chain around a coil and the k member or lower control arm with some slack to keep the spring from blowing out of the pocket.

• Useful
If you anticipate the movement of the car unloading the spring you shouldn't be surprised, if you are paranoid like I am loop a sturdy chain around a coil and the k member or lower control arm with some slack to keep the spring from blowing out of the pocket.
At this point I would be more concerned with it pushing off the jack stands and falling over...... I might splurge on a nice spring compressor..... Cheaper than an emergency room visit or a casket..... ARES 15050 tool looked like the best... AND the most expensive....

To those of you that do this job
You should review the coil spring removal procedure for a Jaguar XJ (72-89)
The spring plate (seperate) bolts away from the lower a arm
In the Foxbody case you can remove the bolts and lower it down in the same manner
The Ford spring compressor tool is similar to the OTC 7045B
Tough job not for the feeble hearted in my opinion

I had the engine in the car, and I still wrapped some pretty serious rope around the spring to make sure it didn’t pop out at me. (Dad always warned me about coil springs starting at age 14…. It stuck)
Take your time, think it through, and be safe…… and you’ll do fine!

Prime delivery yesterday of my new Ares spring compressor... ridiculous price, but fk it, It seemed the easiest to use and the best....
I am spending my kids inheritance......
HOPEFULLY, I can get my neighbors to help me push the car into the garage TODAY and get started on it... I will follow up on how this tool works... Video sold me on it..

Remember Danger Mouse?
I band most of the struts coil springs I replace and skip the spring compressor all together
On little ricers welding wire is sufficient
I put 5 or so bands with welding wire or coat hanger and use some good Klien linemans pliers to band them tight in compressed position

Good luck limp
Stay safe
I mentioned the bands because I did the same on my 69 Z28 when I replaced the coil springs and lower arms
If you band those fox body springs tight with enough bands you will have an easier time of it