Leaf spring question, with pics

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah...lol... it does look like the shackle is missing. Also I noticed you are missing two very important pieces. The rear bumper mounts need to be added, or at least the plate part of them if your putting on a custom bumper. The plates help to tie together and strengthen the mounting position on the unibody. Sure you don't have a rotted out section of frame??? :shrug:

The right spring looks to be more correct. There is definately something wrong about the left spring....

The bumper with frame mounts attached is in the garage, when I took it off, it was only mounted with the two farthest back holes, on the frame. This is what it looked like the day I brought it home, so obviously somebody has done something back here that's not right. I will look at it again today and try to figure out what's up.
View attachment 524093

zwhitr said:
looks like you're missing the shackel on left side

It does kinda look that way, but if you look closely you can see the spring in the center, rubber bushing on each side and shackle on each side. It looks like the shackle has pivoted so the spring is contacting the frame. The leaf spring on the left side may be broken if the spring eye has moved that far back. The body should be jacked up and supported on jack stands under the frame (not the rear end or springs). Then the spring plates can be unbolted to inspect the springs.

welder4956 said:
It does kinda look that way, but if you look closely you can see the spring in the center, rubber bushing on each side and shackle on each side.

I think you're right. A better picture would have been nice.

Broken springs in a II? That's unusual. :bs:

Lesson #1 with II springs: Before taking the U bolts loose either have the car sitting where it can stay for a while or already have a replacement set of leaves on hand. Never count on the main leaf being intact.

welder4956, you are correct. the shackles are there, but they are rotated all the way foward along side the frame. I got down there looking more closely today. I did try to take another pic today, but my batteries went dead.

So let me ask you guys this. You saw the pic of the rear bumper the day I brought it home. Does the bumper mounting plate mount in the same bolt holes as the springs? If so, then I'm guessing the previous owner took it off for some reason and obviously did'nt mount the bumper back up right, but also might not have mounted the left spring correctly either.
Thanks for your help

You could install the rear bumper isolators and than bolt the spring shackles in the correct mounting position at the two forward bolt positions on the isolator. It will give you a better look at the spring fitment before going any further.

As for the left side contacting the frame.. I think your bushings might be worn out in the shackle mount. The rear bumper shocks/mounts should have four bolt holes... two of the bolts are located where your leaf springs mount up and two are visible in the photos. The order is frame, bumper mounts then leaf spring/shackle mounts.

d

LOL. When I first went and looked at the car, I was like what the hell!!
The previous owner told me he did'nt have the trim piece that fits in there. I said, I don't think there is a trim piece that fits in there, I said it looks to me like somebody screwed up, he just looked at me real funny. Not to hard to figure out at that point that he was the somebody.

I'm not much better though, I did'nt even see the shackels rotated all the way foward, until I posted this question here. My GF is the one who noticed something amiss about the springs, while she was at the back sanding.