Less than 200$ for new GT bumper, painted, installed, exhaust adjusted to fit...

PSUPef2k

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Bel Air, MD
A good deal right? I got rear-ended a couple weeks ago and the repair is $625. That cost is being covered by the guy that hit me (or his insurance company). I could get a GT bumper put on and painted instead of the V6 bumper for less then $200 difference that would come out of my own pocket. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

PSUPef2k said:
A good deal right? I got rear-ended a couple weeks ago and the repair is $625. That cost is being covered by the guy that hit me (or his insurance company). I could get a GT bumper put on and painted instead of the V6 bumper for less then $200 difference that would come out of my own pocket. What do you think?

Umm, if you are saying that you will get paid $625 and it will be $825 for the GT Bumper and therefore $200 difference, then DO NOT DO IT. $825 is a TOTAL RIPOFF. Get a GT one off of bumpers.com for like $2xx and have it installed for $50 or less and POCKET the difference. MAKE $300 instead of spend. Also, I had my duals custom installed ('94 Cobra Exhaust Take-offs) AND a new GT bumper painted and installed... ALL for $500, so even 625 seems like a ripoff.

Part of the difference is that you probably need the thing UNDER the bumper skin too, but that should not cost you $500 over the bumpers.com route.

Hopefully this whole thing made sense and can help you make a knowledgable decision. Yes, you should get the GT Bumper, but if I read correctly and it will cost $825, that is not a good deal. Another thing is, a GT bumper is not $200 more than a V6 bumper, its just two holes that make the difference. Something's fishy.

5-SpeedStallion said:
Umm, if you are saying that you will get paid $625 and it will be $825 for the GT Bumper and therefore $200 difference, then DO NOT DO IT. $825 is a TOTAL RIPOFF. Get a GT one off of bumpers.com for like $2xx and have it installed for $50 or less and POCKET the difference. MAKE $300 instead of spend. Also, I had my duals custom installed ('94 Cobra Exhaust Take-offs) AND a new GT bumper painted and installed... ALL for $500, so even 625 seems like a ripoff.

Part of the difference is that you probably need the thing UNDER the bumper skin too, but that should not cost you $500 over the bumpers.com route.

Hopefully this whole thing made sense and can help you make a knowledgable decision. Yes, you should get the GT Bumper, but if I read correctly and it will cost $825, that is not a good deal. Another thing is, a GT bumper is not $200 more than a V6 bumper, its just two holes that make the difference. Something's fishy.

I thought my post was pretty clear, but basically...here it is.

Cost of having existing bumper repaired: $625
Cost of replacing existing bumper rather then repairing current: ~$200
Cost of total ordeal: ~$825
Cost paid by insurance or person who hit me: $625
Cost out of my pocket for GT bumper upgrade: ~$200 <--here's the money figure that I pay.

Total is 825, i cover 200, insurance covers 625.

I didn't think it was that complicated. :shrug:

the 625 is covering repair of teh bumper, repainting, replacing bumper inserts, replacing absorber underneath bumper that was crushed on impact, and realiginging exhaust that was bent during impact...

AP1995V6 said:
I'd go ahead and do it since you posted all the damage. Go to stangparts.com, you might be able to repair it yourself for cheaper.
um...or i could let the insurance pay for it and come out w/ a GT bumper for less than $200. Stang parts has the bumper for 193, unpainted. Thats the cheapest i could find it. It'd definitely be beneficial I think.

I got rear ended in my previous car. Reported the damage to the insurance company, got an estimate, they gave me the money, and I repaired it myself and still had some money left over. that's what i meant ;)