Let’s talk: Airbags

Insurance companies keep close track on losses then rate cars and features accordingly. (At least they rate things that way in free states.) The medical part of the policy drops big time on Mustangs that have air bags. The entire premium on a 91 was less than a similar 87 when I was shopping for this last Mustang. They have stats that show less damage to drivers with those larger diameter air bags than without. I bought a Taurus SHO that had tenderized venison and set off the airbags. The bags are not designed to inflate very far towards the driver. They do expand vertically far enough to keep your face out of the wheel and the windshield. The 91 bags kept the driver from being hurt from the deer that went up the hood and tried to come in the windshield.
So unless it is a Takata air bag, I’ll risk getting black eyes over eating the steering wheel or windshield.
This is also true. Nice to see both sides of an opinion.

• Sponsors (?)

How did you go about removing the airbag module and did you also remove the crash sensors ?
Thinking about doing this on my 93 GT.
I pulled the HVAC controls out and laid them to the side and then unplugged the module while inside the dashboard and then gently removed it. I swapped my '93 steering column to a '89 steering column thereby removing the clock spring and airbag from the car, but did not remove the airbag sensors from the front bumper area. I also pulled the airbag bulb when I swapped out my instrument cluster and replaced all the bulbs with new ones. I have no more concerns about any annoying noises related to the airbag system.

Reactions: 1 user
I like to live dangerously.

Not really, but I'm in my 40s and haven't received a ticket in decades. I would tell you my insurance cost, but it's so low it's barely visible. I am also picky about when I drive the car and stay clear of peak traffic times and congested areas.

• Haha
I pulled the HVAC controls out and laid them to the side and then unplugged the module while inside the dashboard and then gently removed it. I swapped my '93 steering column to a '89 steering column thereby removing the clock spring and airbag from the car, but did not remove the airbag sensors from the front bumper area. I also pulled the airbag bulb when I swapped out my instrument cluster and replaced all the bulbs with new ones. I have no more concerns about any annoying noises related to the airbag system.
Does the dash have to be removed to access the module?

Does the dash have to be removed to access the module?
No. It's a very straightforward process. Remove the HVAC controls by unscrewing them and pulling them to the side. They wont come completely out as the temperatures control has a long metal wire that remains connected. Behind the HVAC controller is the blue airbag module. Unscrew, unplug and remove.

No. It's a very straightforward process. Remove the HVAC controls by unscrewing them and pulling them to the side. They wont come completely out as the temperatures control has a long metal wire that remains connected. Behind the HVAC controller is the blue airbag module. Unscrew, unplug and remove.
Does this apply to an sn95? I think the modules are the same but not sure on location.

The only issue I have is that sometimes I get the flashing light. It's most likely the clock spring, but nobody makes those.

Found my module and unplugged it and checked all my grounds and then reconnected everything, cleared the code and repacked the fuse. I’ll see how long it lasts, hopefully it was something simple before I get a module

That stinks. I expect a repro or retrofit will be available soon for the clock spring.
I don't see any at all for 90-93 Mustangs.

I know there's a hesitance to mess with federally mandated safety parts, but hopefully the aftermarket one day will see this the same as catalytic converters. Federal law says don't touch them at all. Ever. But the aftermarket has some very nice options.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users