Let’s talk: Airbags

Essn95

5 Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
So lately I’ve been battling with my airbag light coming on. Getting a code 12 and it’s blown the fuse three times after resetting the module. From my browsing on the forums it seems to be the airbag module in the radio area that needs replacing. They don’t reproduce these so I’ll most likely pick one up from one of our local mustang yards. And it got me thinking, how good are these airbags at 25 years old? It’s older technology and with all the heat cycles from baking in the sun must take a toll. For now I plan to fix the airbag light but wonder in the case of an accident if the airbags would do more harm then good.

• Sponsors (?)

First, what year? It seems like they had a different clockspring 2 out of 4 airbag years.

Second, is there a how to on disabling the airbag without throwing a light?

First, what year? It seems like they had a different clockspring 2 out of 4 airbag years.

Second, is there a how to on disabling the airbag without throwing a light?
It’s a 1995. I think it will always throw a light unless you have a delete wiring harness that has a resistor I believe. And if you just remove the light, the module just beeps

Reactions: 1 users
Those 90-93 bags are weapons. I’ve watched a few YouTube vids where guys were putting airbags in various things and popping them, and those 1st get Ford airbags were among the most powerful.

the SN95 ones are a bit better. I have. Ford 2nd gen (sn95) bag that I’ve been meaning to hook power up to one day and pop

All I know is I have an affliction for things that explode in my face, I disconnected the bag on my 92 and just lived with the flashing light.
I'm with you... I have a '90 so first year with a bag (in the wheel), I'm leaving the bag in the wheel (no choice there) but I'm not putting the module or sensors back on the car. I don't trust a 30 year old airbag anyway... plus who knows how toxic it is compared to todays cars... plus that's just a bunch of extra wiring I don't have to add back to the engine bay. And since I'm going PimpXS ecm, and a Dakota gauge cluster going in... I won't have any Airbag light issue to worry about now either.

Plus like Mustang said, if these 1st gen bags are that powerful, I sure as hell don't want that hitting me in the face.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 1990 coupe. When I got it someone had installed a pre-1990 tilt column and wheel. Initially the airbag light just flashed. One day when I had the cluster out i removed the air bag light. After that I had beeping from the module. I never plan to use an airbag on this car so I removed the module.

Those 90-93 bags are weapons. I’ve watched a few YouTube vids where guys were putting airbags in various things and popping them, and those 1st get Ford airbags were among the most powerful.

the SN95 ones are a bit better. I have. Ford 2nd gen (sn95) bag that I’ve been meaning to hook power up to one day and pop
We've blown up a few airbags in the past on cars that totaled. Pretty cool. I haven't done that to any early airbags, but I bet that have more of a "BANG" than the newer ones.

All this is making me wonder. My seatbelts are good so I shouldn’t be thrown to far forward. Don’t know how good a 25 year old smack in the face would do much good

damn, just installed all the airbag harnesses and sensors back in my 93 and still get a airbag light.. think this is helping me feel better about deleting it all

I pulled my '93 airbag computer from behind the radio a few months ago and would be happy to sell it to you.

Attachments

• 20200608_203011.jpg
    20200608_203011.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200608_202955.jpg
    20200608_202955.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200608_202949.jpg
    20200608_202949.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 61
Insurance companies keep close track on losses then rate cars and features accordingly. (At least they rate things that way in free states.) The medical part of the policy drops big time on Mustangs that have air bags. The entire premium on a 91 was less than a similar 87 when I was shopping for this last Mustang. They have stats that show less damage to drivers with those larger diameter air bags than without. I bought a Taurus SHO that had tenderized venison and set off the airbags. The bags are not designed to inflate very far towards the driver. They do expand vertically far enough to keep your face out of the wheel and the windshield. The 91 bags kept the driver from being hurt from the deer that went up the hood and tried to come in the windshield.
So unless it is a Takata air bag, I’ll risk getting black eyes over eating the steering wheel or windshield.

Reactions: 1 user