Look at my dyno numbers

blacksheep06

Jan 31, 2006
Had it dynoed the other day on a dynojet and the car made 293 RWHP and 306 tq with the mods in my sig. A little low.

The AFR was over freaking 15 on the brenspeed tune. I hadn't had a chance to talk to the guys at the shop as I picked the car up saturday after they closed.

I would think 15 is way too lean and I'm probably losing hp. The car runs good but I think there could be some detonation at WOT which I noticed a few times before. After seeing the AFR I'm now afraid of WOT.

• Sponsors (?)

I would scan the graph in and send it to Brent. He'll get you fixed up. The numbers might be just a bit low, but every dyno reads different. Depending on the dyno, your stock numbers could have been anywhere between 240 and 265. You only have intake, tune, headers, and off-road pipe. How many runs did they do? Where were they monitoring the AFR? It's best to stay at the shop with your car so you can watch them. You need at least 2 or 3 pulls to make sure everything's right. In any event, 15:1 is way lean and needs to be corrected by Brent.

I can't get it attached here. What do I do to insert a pic or something on a post. It keeps telling me the file is too big when I try to attach it.

3 pulls ranging from 285 -293 RWHP.

The AFR was around 12.5 below 4200 RPM. Above that it fell to about 12.1 on all 3 runs.

I can't get it attached here. What do I do to insert a pic or something on a post. It keeps telling me the file is too big when I try to attach it.

3 pulls ranging from 285 -293 RWHP.

The AFR was around 12.5 below 4200 RPM. Above that it fell to about 12.1 on all 3 runs.

best bet is to open an account at somewhere like www.photobucket.com (its free :D )

Then you can upload the pic. They even give you the correct URL and tags to cut and past into the text box on the forum.

image close tag

Just add the wed address of the pic in between them.

image1.jpg

Would it be worth the extra money to get the car properly dialed in on the dyno or just get Brent to try and dial it in for free? Roughly how much more power over 293 rwhp would I see with a 13:1 AFR?

Maybe 1-2 HP probably. There's not a whole lot of difference between 12 and 13. It's too bad you weren't there. When I throw my car on the dyno, I make sure I'm there so I can make minor tweaks with the user end settings on my XCal. Last time I was running a little rich. Leaned it up and bit and did another run. Got a good AFR with that, so I sent the info to Brent and he fixed the tune up for me. Most dyno guys will try to sell you their tune. Unless they have a big reputation for Mustang tuning, forget it. My guys have only been tuning for a couple of years, and they said Brent's tune was pretty much dead on and there wasn't much more to gain. So unless they're a huge Mustang tuner, you won't see much (if any) difference.

BTW, those are good numbers for the few mods that you have. A lot of shops will inflate their numbers, especially when it involves giving you a custom tune. Take my '07. I baselined 241. With intake, tune, plates, and off-road pipe, I'm laying down 284. That's a good gain if you ask me for that few of mods. But if I go down the street to another dyno, they'd laugh at the number 284. I'm sure if I ran on their dyno I'd run over 320, judging from the numbers that I've seen come out of that place.

Maybe 1-2 HP probably. There's not a whole lot of difference between 12 and 13. It's too bad you weren't there. When I throw my car on the dyno, I make sure I'm there so I can make minor tweaks with the user end settings on my XCal. Last time I was running a little rich. Leaned it up and bit and did another run. Got a good AFR with that, so I sent the info to Brent and he fixed the tune up for me. Most dyno guys will try to sell you their tune. Unless they have a big reputation for Mustang tuning, forget it. My guys have only been tuning for a couple of years, and they said Brent's tune was pretty much dead on and there wasn't much more to gain. So unless they're a huge Mustang tuner, you won't see much (if any) difference.

BTW, those are good numbers for the few mods that you have. A lot of shops will inflate their numbers, especially when it involves giving you a custom tune. Take my '07. I baselined 241. With intake, tune, plates, and off-road pipe, I'm laying down 284. That's a good gain if you ask me for that few of mods. But if I go down the street to another dyno, they'd laugh at the number 284. I'm sure if I ran on their dyno I'd run over 320, judging from the numbers that I've seen come out of that place.

O.K. I guess I'll get Brent to adjust it a little. I had it dynoed at Modular Powerhouse in Atlanta right after they installed the headers and gears. That's why I left it with them. They left the dyno sheet in the car. I didn't get to talk to the guy that dynoed it but they said he left me a message to get an adjustment tune from Brent as he didn't think it was worth the extra money to get it dyno tuned. That's pretty honest. I would do business with them again.:nice:

Yup. Unless you're forced induction, there's not much more to be had over Brent's tunes. I started with Doug's tunes, but after unresolved AFR issues, I went over to Brent and couldn't be happier.

Honestly, you shouldn't be too upset w/ those #'s. Toss on some pulleys and then have that tune re-worked (you can richen it out yourself).

As far as your A/F goes...I did 316 RWHP / 324 RWTQ with the mods in my sig @ 12.8 A/F

Would it be worth the extra money to get the car properly dialed in on the dyno or just get Brent to try and dial it in for free? Roughly how much more power over 293 rwhp would I see with a 13:1 AFR?

You should not have a set A/F ratio in mind, every car is different. Your car might make more power where it is than with a 13.1 A/F ratio. If you are looking for the best HP numbers, you should have it dyno-tuned to find the right A/F ratio for your car. In your car's case, I would have Brent adjust it a bit above 4500 RPM.

You should not have a set A/F ratio in mind, every car is different. Your car might make more power where it is than with a 13.1 A/F ratio. If you are looking for the best HP numbers, you should have it dyno-tuned to find the right A/F ratio for your car. In your car's case, I would have Brent adjust it a bit above 4500 RPM.

+1

I was having ppl tell me 13.1 was a good A/F for my car. We tried that and I think it made something in the 305-308 range. Lowered it to 12.9, did 311 then tried 12.8 and squeeked out the 316 :D

Each car reacts differently due to sooooo many variables!

Yea, I'll email Brent my dyno graph and get him to adjust my tune above 4500 then maybe have it dynoed again just to make sure I don't lose any hp.

Get it tuned on dyno...

I have the same mods as you and did get a little higher numbers.

My best numbers actually came from an 89 tune(!), increased fuel, and opening my tb earlier; ie I did less w/ the 93.... :shrug: go figure...
Cody at StangHi told me some early '05s were just running that way (maybe more miles and broken in:shrug: ) who knows...
Just adding info from my own follies. Hope it helps.