Fox looking at the AVS2 carb. What are your guys' opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

Knowing what I know about carter carburetors.
I always wonder why edelbrock chose such a terrible design to remarket.

The Carter Performance series worked fine. Edelbrock had some quality control issues. Too much dirt on the assembly floor, and the needles would jam and it would flood out. The actual design isn't really that bad. When I was selling that stuff, if I was completely unable to talk the customer out of buying an Edelbrock, I would give them the $18 rebuild kit for free, because they were going to need it.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
My Edelbrock 1401 600cfm or 650....lasted for 2 years daily driven on my old convertible through all seasons....and got 26mpg on the highway out of the box with idle mixture screw adjustments and accelerator pump adjusting. No issues whatsoever. The guy I sold it to still uses it on a 305 in an old truck. That thing is almost 14 yrs old.

A few friends had all types of issues with holley during that time frame. One of them has an Edelbrock 750 on his mild 408 build.( ditched Holley ) He cruises around often and hasn't had a carb issue in the last couple years.

I had a very good experience with them and would buy another. Just my $.02

I always use dual plane intakes with their carbs. Also, I use a spacer if it'll fit the application. Fuel stays set at 6psi. Keep a stoich gauge for getting them set up.

Ran one for over 15 years, never touched it once tuned. 28 or 9 MPG out of a mild 5.0 with a T5, and ran (LOL) 11's easily. Tuned holley went on it to see if it was any faster and it wasn't. Edelbrock 1405 went back on for the remainder of the time I owned the car.

I like them. You set it, and never have to touch it again. Most people don't know how to tune them though. They are completely different than a holley.

Edelbrocks are "similar" to the carter's but Edelbrocks are (or were at one time) Weber designs that kinda looked like an AVS.

Ran one for over 15 years, never touched it once tuned. 28 or 9 MPG out of a mild 5.0 with a T5, and ran (LOL) 11's easily. Tuned holley went on it to see if it was any faster and it wasn't. Edelbrock 1405 went back on for the remainder of the time I owned the car.

I like them. You set it, and never have to touch it again. Most people don't know how to tune them though. They are completely different than a holley.

Edelbrocks are "similar" to the carter's but Edelbrocks are (or were at one time) Weber designs that kinda looked like an AVS.
I think that's what I'll do. I'll just have to learn how to tune it.

Reactions: 1 users
I replaced the Holley on my stock '83 5.0 with the Edelbrock 1406. The 1406 served me well as a daily driver for 8 or 9 years. I tuned it with the 1406 jet/rod/spring kit and the fuel mileage was decent. After my motor upgrade/rebuild I kept the 1406 but ran a more aggressive tune. Cool engine drive ability wasn't that great but I also didn't have the electric choke set up properly. About a year and a half ago, I sprung for the 1905 AVS2 and so far I'm very happy with that upgrade. The "right out of the box" jet/rod/spring setup seems perfect for my car. Cool engine and normal drive ability is much improved. 4BBL performance at WOT is also much better. So for now, I give the AVS2 a thumbs up.

Reactions: 1 users
Had an Eddy 1406 on my Chevelle 350 for six years. Ran good with almost no issues. Finally it developed a bog at tip in, and I replaced it with a 25 year old Holley 1850. Mostly because I had the Holley. The Edelbrock probably requires less gasket changes and similar maintenance, but I have more Holley experience and understand them better. My little 302 just made 400hp on an engine dyno with a Holley 80457.

Reactions: 1 user