Looking for 99-03 IRS. Trade for 8.8, Rear control arms and $

86strokerlx

Jan 30, 2004
Still looking for 99-03 IRS.

Hey everyone, I'm still looking for an IRS. I know that since several companies started making aftermarket parts for them, folks are less willing to give one up but, if anyone runs across a wrecked Cobra or something like that, please let me know. I am in Portland/Vancouver during the week and Seattle/Redmond on the weekends. Please feel free to contact me if you yourself have an IRS, or know of someone who would like to get rid of one. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

it all depends on the condition and how realistic he is about how much it's worth. i'll email and pm you my work number so we can hash out some details over the phone. could i check it out when i'm in town this weekend? i'll have my 8.8 in my garage in redmond. thanks!

909 said:
I call first dibs. I have an 03 IRS in my Cobra. I'm calling my mechanics now to see how much they want to swap it out.

give me a call and we'll works something out. are you in the portland area? i could do the job in my yard for you instead of cash, because the money i would pay you would probably go to the install, i would think. please pm me or email.

i'd rather have the '03 rear end but not sure i can afford it. let me know asap. i work 9-7 mon-fri and i have access to this site and email all day. thanks.

86strokerlx said:
give me a call and we'll works something out. are you in the portland area? i could do the job in my yard for you instead of cash, because the money i would pay you would probably go to the install, i would think. feel free to call me. 503.256.5600 ext.2 ask for Mike.

i'd rather have the '03 rear end but not sure i can afford it. let me know asap. we're open 9am-7pm and i'm here mon-fri. thanks.
no difference between 03 and 99... from cost point of view...

i am still trying to get a hold of my friend, but if he doesn't reply on time then it's his fault :)

909, feel free to nab this one ;)

Tarch, I'll be up there this weekend with the axle. Email me for my cell number.

909, if you're interested, I did discuss the swap with your mechanic yesterday so he knows all the parts that I have. I you'd like to chat about it, email me for my phone number.

Thanks and if anyone else knows of an IRS someone would like to trade, please let me know!

Not to be picky, but just some advice if you didn't already know, that the 99 is a 28 spline axle/halfshaft whereas the 01,03 has a 31 spline setup and also has the pinion brace thingy I think they call it. :shrug: 03 is difinitely more suited for transferring power and torque, although a lot of us have already found its limits... :D

jordanvraptor said:
...although a lot of us have already found its limits... :D

IRSFailure_Case3_Pic002.jpg

Hehe...wheelhop sucks:)

Yep, definitely go for the '03 setup if you plan to run power. Unlike what Tarch said, it does usually cost more because it is a stronger setup. No reason, though, why you couldn't buy a 99-01 setup and bring it up to '03 spec with aftermarket axles (especially for super high horse) and one of the numerous pinion braces.

ChrisWeil said:
Yep, definitely go for the '03 setup if you plan to run power. Unlike what Tarch said, it does usually cost more because it is a stronger setup. No reason, though, why you couldn't buy a 99-01 setup and bring it up to '03 spec with aftermarket axles (especially for super high horse) and one of the numerous pinion braces.
oh... i didn't know... it sounded to me like it was just the axles that were different... either way

if you think you'll have wheel hop issues. DO NOT GET IRS... it sucks for launching

Eh, even with an IRS you can get it to not have nearly so much wheel hop. It won't be perfect, but even on an Aston Martin with a properly designed IRS you'll still get some. Are you sure yours is properly set up? It shouldn't be an issue with a basically stock GT.

But why is it such a big deal? The whole point of having an IRS is not to have the strongest, straightest launches for drag racing. The whole purpose is for better, smoother, more predictable handling around corners.

If you wanted pure launching capability, the a properly set up stick axle is the better way to go.

Oh, and if you want to help your IRS feel better on the launches and short of going all out with coilovers and tubular pieces, etc, just put some delrin bushings in it. That'll probably make a world of difference.

I drove a neighbors Cobra before and after he had it done and it was a pretty big difference.

someday no time soon i will also be looking for a irs set up going to try and put it in my fox track car but that wont be for a couple of years it may not even be this fox track car that i have now.

I'm looking to add the IRS for handling purposes. I love drag racing so it'll make the occasional trip but no slicks and I'll have to walk it off the line on drag radials. I was aware of the 28 spline vs 31 spline. There is also a gearing difference but, being a former automotive technician, I'm quite confident in my ability to building one.
If I can't find an entire unit, I'll build my own with hop up parts. It would save me the trouble of having to throw away good stock parts I guess. Aftermarket bushings, axles, heavy duty crossmember, I'll probably so some custom control arms with a coil over kit if I can figure out how to make it all fit.
Thanks for all the tips and please keep your eyes and ears open for an IRS... Thanks! :nice: