Once and For All.....Door to Body Weather Stripping Shootout

Bad hinges, the hole for the pin is wallowed out, will make the door move up and down, in and out so when you put a bushing in you lose the play. Check the play before any adjustment.
Also make sure there are no cracks in the striker area.
Make sure the door clasp centers on the striker so when it latches it does not lift up or push the door down. Then sneak up on the door closing tight.

• Sponsors (?)

So sorry I didn't see this. Let me go back and read it all and get caught up. I feel turrrible (Charles Barkley voice). Quick answer is you can remove the ws and reinstall them with no problem and no added glue. Done it many times....lol. More glue certainly doesn't hurt but it's not necessary. As far as the corner....You have to sorta pack the corner by barely seating the first few inches of the top rail and mash it back toward the corner until it doesn't have that bounce out.
Gimme a while to read all of this.

Just for future reference and maybe to help anyone else out, back in the first part of this thread you will see some info I posted about door hinge bushings. Most door fit problems ultimately come back to hinge bushings. If you open your door and grab the bottom and lift up and you have any slack, you need to address this. All other adjustments are difficult or impossible if these bushings are bad. Replacing weather stripping with the DC product shouldn't change your door opening or closing. All you may have to do is slightly adjust the striker.

Wish I saw this thread before I did all these last week. The original run channel rubber had turned to hard plastic. Came out in 100's of pieces. Real PIA to get the new one installed.
I got the LMR generic door to body weatherstrip (LRS-20708A-K) to replace the driver's side only which was torn in 2 places. It had been replaced about 20 years ago. I have no problem closing the door.
The driver's side door bushings were replaced 5 years ago.

LRS-21456HDW79-93 MUSTANG INNER DOOR BELT

LRS-21456PR81-93 MUSTANG INNER DOOR BELT

LRS-20708A-K79-93 MUSTANG DOOR TO BODY WEA

LRS-21596PR1979-93 Mustang Run Channel We

Wish I saw this thread before I did all these last week. The original run channel rubber had turned to hard plastic. Came out in 100's of pieces. Real PIA to get the new one installed.
I got the LMR generic door to body weatherstrip (LRS-20708A-K) to replace the driver's side only which was torn in 2 places. It had been replaced about 20 years ago. I have no problem closing the door.
The driver's side door bushings were replaced 5 years ago.

LRS-21456HDW79-93 MUSTANG INNER DOOR BELT

LRS-21456PR81-93 MUSTANG INNER DOOR BELT

LRS-20708A-K79-93 MUSTANG DOOR TO BODY WEA

LRS-21596PR1979-93 Mustang Run Channel We
Dang man....i thought you were in the loop! :D

Amazing information in this thread. I can't wait to dig into this forum more.

I set to work installing the door latches, handles, etc on my 93 the other day and when I got the drivers side put together I was less than impressed with the way the door closed. After doing some research I was even more disappointed to find out that new seals, which this car has, required a break in period. I was glad to read this and find out this isn't necessarily the case.

Anyway, I went to LMR and searched the part number for the DC seals and it says "by 5.0 Resto". Are they still the DC ones?

Reactions: 1 user
Amazing information in this thread. I can't wait to dig into this forum more.

I set to work installing the door latches, handles, etc on my 93 the other day and when I got the drivers side put together I was less than impressed with the way the door closed. After doing some research I was even more disappointed to find out that new seals, which this car has, required a break in period. I was glad to read this and find out this isn't necessarily the case.

Anyway, I went to LMR and searched the part number for the DC seals and it says "by 5.0 Resto". Are they still the DC ones?
No they aren't. By 5.0 Resto is their house brand. You do not want those.

Play it safe and and get the whole set here https://www.blueovalindustries.com/1979-1993-mustang/weatherstrip.html
Trust me..... that's the best move. Glad the thread helped.