Looking for a 77 Cobra by VIN

lparsons

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 24, 2004
Upstate New York
Hello
Does anyone here own a 1977 Cobra II matching the VIN

7F03F164707

I was digging through some old files, and encountered something that someone had left me about this car. If anyone has a 1977 Cobra that matches this VIN, please contact me.

I am not looking to buy this car, if anyone even has it anymore. I just found some old notes I had that pertained to it in particular, and thought I'd pass it on to the current owner (if one exists).

thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Hello
Does anyone here own a 1977 Cobra II matching the VIN

7F03F164707

I was digging through some old files, and encountered something that someone had left me about this car. If anyone has a 1977 Cobra that matches this VIN, please contact me.

I am not looking to buy this car, if anyone even has it anymore. I just found some old notes I had that pertained to it in particular, and thought I'd pass it on to the current owner (if one exists).

thank you

From the MustangII.org registry:

Name: Tim S
Email: [email protected]
Year: 1977
Body Style: Fastback
Engine: 302
Transmission: 4 spd
Fastback Package: Cobra II
Exterior Color: Black/Gold
Interior Trim Color: Black Standard
Buck Tag: 164707 F 69F 0393 1C AC A DRM V8 CB FDS 3 (rev.stamp)7(inverted)15 23 22K
Data Tag: Date:02/77 7F03F164707 Color:1C DSO:55 Body:69F Trim GA Sch.Date:25A Axle:6 Trans:6 A/C:A
Option Package:77 lite grp, 77 cbii pkg,
Option: a/c, console, dig clock, leather steer wh, dual col-keyed mirrors, pb, ps, am 74-78, 74-7 hd batt, 74-7 full tinted glass, 75-8 aux tank, 76-7 tint w/s, 77 day/nite mir, 77-8 4-way seat,
Comments/Modifications: Map Light, Intermittent Wipers, Currently awaiting restoration. It's ROUGH. Was equipped with rear sway bar, and will be again.
Submitters Link:

From the MustangII.org registry:

Name: Tim S
Email: [email protected]

I already tried that email address, it is no longer valid, according to CompuServe (the owner of the .cs domain). And I suspect that I know the identity of the person behind that address, who I suspect is not the current owner of this car.

Assuming of course that this car even still exists. It may well have met the boneyard sometime in the past few years.

I'll bring more information up on this in a little while, I just want to see if anyone might happen to be the owner of this car before I drop this on the whole board.

OOHHHHHHH.
The suspense is killing me.
If I were to just pretend to have that VIN would you spill the beans?
Oh wait a second, that VIN is in the boneyard in Boston. Yeah... that's it, Boston!

Sorry couldn't resist.
The suspense is killing me.

I can also say I know where it was when it was owned by the person who had that compuserve email address. I had emailed and talked to that person, about 7 years ago.
From what I knew of that person, I have a region of the country that I suspect this car may be located in, but it is rarely possible to track these old-school VINs anymore.

I can also say I know where it was when it was owned by the person who had that compuserve email address. I had emailed and talked to that person, about 7 years ago.
From what I knew of that person, I have a region of the country that I suspect this car may be located in, but it is rarely possible to track these old-school VINs anymore.

...Florida, perhaps?

...Texas...?

Indeed, Florida was where I last knew of it to be. But I expected it would be somewhere else since then. I was surprised to see Florida listing the title as "active", and the date is a bit of a surprise (July 2001).

I guess I can release what I know about this car now, since the odds are slim that its owner is here anyways.

The story goes back to the spring of 2001. I was working on my undergraduate in Minnesota, and driving a 78 II coupe. I was casually browsing for other II's for sale, and I bumped into an ad for this car. By the time I saw the ad the price had been reduce a couple times, which I should have taken as a sign to walk away. Instead I took it as a sign to consider purchasing.

I contacted the seller - the now semi-infamous Timothy Wayne Steinmetz (see also his equally infamous wife Rhonda Sue Steinmetz). At the time they lived in Clermont, FL. Indeed, I believe this is the "tim s" that was listed with the car in the registry on the mustangii.org site.

I was interested in the where-abouts of this car because Mr. and Mrs. Steinmetz conned people out of over six figures worth of money by selling cars and knick-knacks that they didn't own. However, this car he apparently did own - at least at one time. I also have the numbers of the (Florida) plates that were on the car in a picture of it he took in 2001 (T51 PDH) and the VIN number of the (1922 Taurus) car that those plates belonged to (1FALP5341NG151325), which was a car that he also owned at the time.

Now, I was waiting to bring this up because I don't mean to insinuate tha the current owner is in any way associated with the convicted felons known as Mr and Mrs Steinmetz. I am just looking for the car out of my own curiosity, to see what has happened to it since then. The fact that it even shows up as an active VIN is somewhat surprising, considering it was likely seized by the FBI after the capture of the two in Texas later in 2001.

I would be interested in trading notes with the current owner, to see if the car is all that Steinmetz claimed it to be back then. The notes I have from him don't even match 100% with what was posted in the registry.