looking for a hood

Piranahbite

Jan 21, 2022
American canyon
guys... kind of a bizarre question but is there any possibility on finding a retro fitted svo hood? im turbo 2.3 swapping my mustang and i would like to use the oem intercooler set up because i think the off center scoop looks kinda bad ass only problem is... i have an 1987 lx and im pretty sure my headlights would be an issue. dose anyone know of a company or a place to find what im looking for? heres a pic of the hood so you all know what im talkin about

Attachments

• 1986-ford-mustang-svo-turbo-2dr-hatchback.jpg
    1986-ford-mustang-svo-turbo-2dr-hatchback.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Sponsors (?)

There's a couple aftermarket hoods using that scoop on 87-93 hoods but its centered not off center like the svo, you could make one but it wouldn't be cheap..... I would use a stock hood with a wider 79-83 style scoop on it for a stock 2.3 turbo intercooler set up but I'm just cheap like that lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Make your own ...

Hood layout.jpg

Basic Shape.jpg

Ready for Paint.jpg

Installed.jpg

I was trying to get the SVO look and made mine functional ram air to my air box.

To get the smooth radiuses I used exhaust pipe cut in half or quarter.

Making it yourself you can make it any size needed and where needed.

Never content, I am now working on a functional (all steel) shaker set up.

Shaker 2.jpg

Shaker 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
It would but the repo parts are far from cheap, then the body moldings and rear bumper to match, that shaker hood pictured would not be that different then a 79-83 scoop and cutting the stock hood to work with the 2.3 intercooler.. Know a few people who used them with carb pans but pretty much the same idea..

Pick up a used hood. Try something. If it doesn't work the way wanted, fix it and try again.

The shaker hood above is my fourth attempt at something custom / one of one.

The first one was a 3/4" raised cowl that I wasn't happy with due to some issues that surfaced after painting.
IMG_1418.JPG

That hood then got reused for my second attempt with a steel scoop modelled after the 99-04 scoop (bigger though) along with a recess in the hood like the 99-04 has as well. That hood is still partially finished and not complete.
20191008_221722.jpg

The third is the SVO inspired ram air hood painted and on my car.
20200919_153926.jpg

The fourth is the shaker above which will hopefully get finished this summer.
20230605_191647.jpg
Each one gets better from my perspective and you will mess up and then you learn how to repair/make it better again. All the while your skills improve.

Reactions: 1 user
The Banshee Shaker Hood used to be a thing:

It was gorgeous IMO. I kick myself for not getting one back in the day.

Pick up a used hood. Try something. If it doesn't work the way wanted, fix it and try again.

The shaker hood above is my fourth attempt at something custom / one of one.

The first one was a 3/4" raised cowl that I wasn't happy with due to some issues that surfaced after painting.
IMG_1418.JPG

That hood then got reused for my second attempt with a steel scoop modelled after the 99-04 scoop (bigger though) along with a recess in the hood like the 99-04 has as well. That hood is still partially finished and not complete.
20191008_221722.jpg

The third is the SVO inspired ram air hood painted and on my car.
20200919_153926.jpg

The fourth is the shaker above which will hopefully get finished this summer.
20230605_191647.jpg
Each one gets better from my perspective and you will mess up and then you learn how to repair/make it better again. All the while your skills improve.
SKILLS !