Engine looking for advise on my engine combo

looking for some advise on my engine combo for my 86 mustang gt , its 302 5 speed mass air converted .
Im having a fresh engine done my plans so far are .30 over with TFS 170 heads , Pro-M 75mm mass air calibrated for 24 #injectors, BBK 75 mm throttle body and egr spacer. Looking for advise om comp ratio , cam choice and intake choice , was leaning towards a cobra intake, the car is only street driven ,has 4.11 gears , cold air kit ,BBk short headers and SVE off road h pipe. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The 75mm TB and spacer will be a waist a good 65mm or 70 like a Accufab will be more than enough.
Get 30lb injectors as 24s will be about maxed out.
The Cobra intake will work well. It will not make the power in the upper RPMs that some of the other intakes will but it will give excellent low and midrange power. Have the lower ported for better performance.
For the cam there are lots of options. Stay away from the Ford Racing letter cams they are way outdated. The current in thing is a custom cam. I have a similar setup to what you are looking at but with AFR heads. I run the Comp XE264-14. It’s a very mild cam, but I wanted my car to drive like stock and it does. Other options would be the Trick Flow stage 1, Crane 2031, Comp XE270-14, and Steeda #18 (if still available).

The 75mm TB and spacer will be a waist a good 65mm or 70 like a Accufab will be more than enough.
Get 30lb injectors as 24s will be about maxed out.
The Cobra intake will work well. It will not make the power in the upper RPMs that some of the other intakes will but it will give excellent low and midrange power. Have the lower ported for better performance.
For the cam there are lots of options. Stay away from the Ford Racing letter cams they are way outdated. The current in thing is a custom cam. I have a similar setup to what you are looking at but with AFR heads. I run the Comp XE264-14. It’s a very mild cam, but I wanted my car to drive like stock and it does. Other options would be the Trick Flow stage 1, Crane 2031, Comp XE270-14, and Steeda #18 (if still available).
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it . I want it to drive like stock ,have my power in low and mid range. This is my first go at a EFI combo instead of swapping to carb but want to keep it streetable and fun car to drive not a street and strip car

Box stock tw's with a cobra intake isn't going to exceed 24's.
Most intakes do not accept a 75mm throttle body, you will need to have the intake port opened up (you really should just get a 70mm).
I had a crane 2031 (can you even get it anymore?) and an E cam, personally i didn't notice the difference.
Many guys treat 2031 like a blower cam. It did sound pretty awesome at idle.

I'm in the custom cam camp. Not necessarily because you want max power (i've also ran a cam like that), but because it's basically the hardest part to swap twice. So you spend a couple hundred up front, but you also know exactly what you are getting, assuming you have someone knowledgeable spec it out.

If you aren't going for max power the cobra is ok and if you really want it to run well, have a machine shop valve job the heads and port match the lower to the heads.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Box stock tw's with a cobra intake isn't going to exceed 24's.
Most intakes do not accept a 75mm throttle body, you will need to have the intake port opened up (you really should just get a 70mm).
I had a crane 2031 (can you even get it anymore?) and an E cam, personally i didn't notice the difference.
Many guys treat 2031 like a blower cam. It did sound pretty awesome at idle.

I'm in the custom cam camp. Not necessarily because you want max power (i've also ran a cam like that), but because it's basically the hardest part to swap twice. So you spend a couple hundred up front, but you also know exactly what you are getting, assuming you have someone knowledgeable spec it out.

If you aren't going for max power the cobra is ok and if you really want it to run well, have a machine shop valve job the heads and port match the lower to the heads.
Thanks for the reply any and all advise is appreciated, mostly wanted the cobra intake just cause I like the look and figure its a step up from stock.

Reactions: 1 user