Looking For Input On Road Racing Mod List

MustangJon255

Aug 2, 2012
I have a few questions regarding suspension parts and piecing together a good package....

I've done a few track days in my 2005 Mustang GT. I have experience, but don't claim to be seasoned. I'm finally pulling the trigger on the bulk of mods I feel are necessary to put my Mustang on the track in a suitable manner. One thing I'm caught on however, is the idea of picking a Suspension manufacturer and sticking with them. I feel as though it would be wise to substitute particular parts. I'll layout what's already on the car, and then what my current parts list includes...

--Mods--
C&L Racer Intake
IMRC Deletes
Longtubes w/ high-flow cats, Stock mufflers (This setup sounds AWESOME if you're undecided on exhaust mods...)
UD Pulley
Comp XFI NSR Stage 2 cams (Details below)
IntakeExhaust
Duration:261278
Duration @ .050" Lift:222235
Valve Lift:0.4500.450

Hurst Short-throw
4.10's (Planning to switch back to stock 3.55's before going back to the track)
SS brake lines
Hawk HPS pads
Motul 600 fluid (replaced since last track day)
H&R Race Springs
BMR LCA's with spherical bushings
BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tokico D-Spec Rear shocks (I picked these up from a shop that had just removed them from a project car for $50. How could I pass that up? haha)

--Parts List--
Nitto NT-01s to go on stock 17" Bullitts (I've tracked with KDW's and had and loved them. However, I no longer have them and wish to take the tires to the next step)
Koni Yellow shocks
FRPP Swaybar kit
Powerslot front rotors
Aluminum Driveshaft
Aluminum Flywheel
Corbeau FX1 Pro seat, 5pt harness, harness bar

The car is my fun, ridiculous, sports car to play with and take to the track. I have another car, so I'm not worried about noise/comfort too much. I've spoken with Maximum Motorsports regarding the H&R springs and Koni yellows - they told me the shock was made to work with the Koni and that unless I go to a full coilover kit, I will be set. Also, I chose the FRPP Swaybar kit because it appears to be the most complete kit with the endlinks, hardware, and bushings.

What's your take on all of this?

And thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey man, I have about a dozen or so track days and I definitely don't consider myself a veteran, but I listen and learn every time I head out to an event. I always get ideas and meet some cool car guys (and gals!). That said, every time I come back home,there is always something new I want to do to my car to help my situation at the track. I took at look at your list, and here are my comments and/or questions:

1. Good idea going back to the 3.55's! More top speed on those long straights...at least for me. I'm supercharged, and when I cracked 140 on the back straight at VIR for the first time, I realized that I only wanted to be able to go faster. That said...

2. With going fast, you need to be able to stop lol. And the faster you go, it's more imperative that you have good braking. The OEM rotors work suprisingly well. IMHO, I don't feel you need to upgrade your rotors at all until you become more experienced. Save that money for 1-2 sets of track pads, because your HPS's are not going to cut it at higher speeds/harder braking. You can get away with HP+'s at a novice or even intermediate level depending on the tracks you go to. I run HP+'s in the rear, and either HP+ or HT10 up front. HT10's always go on at places like VIR. :) You'll find that different people always have a preferred pad, but those are the two I run.

3. You have just the rear Tokicos? In your parts list you mentioned you are going after Koni shocks. Did you mean you are getting Koni struts up front, or are you replacing both front and back with Konis? People rave about Koni yellows. I run them on my Contour SVT and love them for the the daily street driveability as well as the handling when I stiffen them up. I run Tokico D-Specs on my Stang, and I love them, too. The difference between the two cars is like apples and oranges, but IMHO I believe it's a preference thing between the Konis and Tokicos.

4. If your Stang is going to be your track car, here's something to take into consideration: have you thought about putting together a dedicated set of track wheels/tires? Late last year I put together a set of racing slicks on Steeda QS1 wheels, but have not - yet - had a chance to run them due to life's little constraints lol. However, I am heading back to VIR this month for my first track event this year and for sure will be running 'em. Anyway, I put together my set for what I consider to be nothing. I got the Steeda wheels for 1/2 what they go for, and my racing slicks were only run for one heat cycle and were sold to me for $75 a pop. They'll run for $400 a piece new! Something to consider if you plan on making this a hobby. I got mine from www.bimmerworld.com .

The rest of your list looks good, man. Really, when venturing out to the track, the first things you want to look into upgrading are braking, tires and suspension pieces IMO. Then all the go fast goodies.

Vid whore plug alert! Me and my ride on the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Moochman4life?feature=mhee

Here's my mod list. My car has turned into my track toy, and most of my mods were made specifically to add value to that:

Custom build Vortech V3 HO - dyno tuned
Alcohol Injection Systems trunk-mount Water-Meth kit with hidden boost controller
Tokico D-Specs
Steeda G-Trac bar
Steeda Strut tower brace
Roush springs
Baer Decala - or - OEM rotors depending on how I'm feeling
Hawk HP+ or HT10 pads up front depending on how I'm feeling
Hawk HP+ out back
JBA ceramic coated shorties (reduce heat)
Borla Stingers
Agent 47 Brake cooling ducts with lower grill (reduce brake heat and fade)
Boost and A/F ratio gauges mounted in the pillar
Diablosport Trinity mounted in one of my A/C vents for more monitoring (AITs, timing, etc.)
Heat extractor hood (reduce heat)
Shaftmasters 1-piece aluminum driveshaft
Continental Tire (rebadged Hoosier) racing slicks
BMR adjustable panhard bar (does nothing but center your axle after lowering)
I'm positive I have more mods, but I can't remember lol

I have a few questions regarding suspension parts and piecing together a good package....

I've done a few track days in my 2005 Mustang GT. I have experience, but don't claim to be seasoned. I'm finally pulling the trigger on the bulk of mods I feel are necessary to put my Mustang on the track in a suitable manner. One thing I'm caught on however, is the idea of picking a Suspension manufacturer and sticking with them. I feel as though it would be wise to substitute particular parts. I'll layout what's already on the car, and then what my current parts list includes...

--Mods--
C&L Racer Intake
IMRC Deletes
Longtubes w/ high-flow cats, Stock mufflers (This setup sounds AWESOME if you're undecided on exhaust mods...)
UD Pulley
Comp XFI NSR Stage 2 cams (Details below)
IntakeExhaust
Duration:261278
Duration @ .050" Lift:222235
Valve Lift:0.4500.450

Hurst Short-throw
4.10's (Planning to switch back to stock 3.55's before going back to the track)
SS brake lines
Hawk HPS pads
Motul 600 fluid (replaced since last track day)
H&R Race Springs
BMR LCA's with spherical bushings
BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tokico D-Spec Rear shocks (I picked these up from a shop that had just removed them from a project car for $50. How could I pass that up? haha)

--Parts List--
Nitto NT-01s to go on stock 17" Bullitts (I've tracked with KDW's and had and loved them. However, I no longer have them and wish to take the tires to the next step)
Koni Yellow shocks
FRPP Swaybar kit
Powerslot front rotors
Aluminum Driveshaft
Aluminum Flywheel
Corbeau FX1 Pro seat, 5pt harness, harness bar

The car is my fun, ridiculous, sports car to play with and take to the track. I have another car, so I'm not worried about noise/comfort too much. I've spoken with Maximum Motorsports regarding the H&R springs and Koni yellows - they told me the shock was made to work with the Koni and that unless I go to a full coilover kit, I will be set. Also, I chose the FRPP Swaybar kit because it appears to be the most complete kit with the endlinks, hardware, and bushings.

What's your take on all of this?

And thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

I have a similar setup, but with UPR's Handling Package. I'm running Koni Yellows and they were a substantial improvement over the stock dampeners, so I'd recommend upgrading your dampeners sooner than later. One thing I'll mention is that I installed the LCAs first, then installed the UCA & Mount later and I could feel the difference in the corners. The rear end felt more planted.

Thanks for all the input. I'm taking everything here into consideration.

I was planning on using my old stock 17" bullitts as my dedicated wheel to go with NT01s for the track. I was considering changing the rotors because I'm starting to see grooves in the rotors and wasn't sure what to think of them. I talked about it with a buddy since the original post, he suggested just running them until they crack haha