lost low end torque with LT headers

• Sponsors (?)

03trubluGT said:
Well, simply put, LTs didn't make you LOSE anything, it sounds like the combination of midpipe/catback/mufflers were to blame.

Matt

The catback exhaust is stock. A Hooker o/r x-pipe replaced the stock catted h-pipe (this is the only mid-pipe that Hooker sells). And the Hooker LT headers replaced the stock exhaust manifolds. I'll try to find the post where someone regained torque by adding cats to their o/r x-pipe after installing LT headers.

Monkie said:
All over the Corvette forums they suggest Tri-Y headers if you want more torque.

So let me get this straight...the CORVETTE tech forums say that on the MUSTANG that...

Y headers = more TQ
Longtubes = more HP :notnice:

That makes no sense at all. Don't post bad tech, don't go to corvette forums for Mustang tech. People are here for help...not bad advice. Stick to talk. :nonono:

"Jeg's says" "Corvette forum says" - show us dynograph's to prove a point

Monkie said:
Hmmmm...well I'm looking at Jegs and I see a header that in the information it says "Delivers the torque of a Tri-Y and the horsepower of a big tube header..." I guess Jegs is "WAY off! :notnice: " too huh? :rolleyes:
According to Jegs, my Pullies, X-Pipe, Intake and Mufflers gave my 98GT 60HP, but they can't be wrong, right? Is that where you got your dyno numbers, by adding up what Jegs advertized for power gains.

scion4LIFE said:
WHERE Is dyno proof of tq loss??

The dyno charts from Hitech Motorsports can be seen on my other posting, "Gained 23 rwhp with LT Headers." The dynos are somewhat confusing. The pre-mod dyno is STD Horsepower vs. Speed (mph), while the post-mod dyno is SAE Horsepower vs. RPM (x1000). Nonetheless, the pre-mod dyno shows that the torque climbs more quickly prior to the installation of the LT headers and o/r x-pipe. It is true that the torque eventually goes higher (an additional 28 ft/lbs), but it appears to take longer to get there. Nonetheless, I was talking about a change in SOTP performance and 0-60 mph times. My car does not seem as quick off the line and my G-Tech shows that I went from 5.3 seconds to 5.7 seconds in 0-60 mph. Once the engine gets over about 3000 rpms, the car is definitely much faster. Why is this so hard to believe? I am simply reporting the phenomenon; you can come up with any interpretation you want. Better yet, help me to find a way to regain my low end torque.

scion4LIFE said:
WHERE Is dyno proof of tq loss??

look no more... here is it..

blue = before LT
red = after LT

ltdyno.jpg

the myth has been proven.. let's move on now shall we?

Some people dont really understand that there is no "perfect" exhaust. If you think of the pipes in length and diameter as almost a kinda like a "cam" for your exhaust gasses it a little bit easier to understand. The more high flow you go the more tune the exhaust to work better at higher rpm's (kinda like a cam). The perfect exhaust would change diameter and length for every change of the rpm, but this is not feasable so you have to pick what rpm range you want to tune the exhaust to. The same goes for intake runner length consequently.

Some may gain top end horsepower and loose low end tork and I have seen it. But its really just loosing exhaust gas evacuation efficiency at whatever rpm as the scavenging effect is all about gas speed going out and creating a vacuum behind it and helping to pull in the new fresh air charge. To those who say you cant loose bottom I say try running 5 inch exhaust tubes and see what happens.

Also sometimes you may not loose but the mid and upper rpm's are much stronger than they where and it makes the bottom feel weaker in comparison when it is actually not.

PS this is my first mustang and I dont know much about them but thats why im here. But it is not my first car by any means. Also the disclaimer "anything I say can and may be total bs and cannot be held against me especially in a court of law."

Ryan02Stang said:
So let me get this straight...the CORVETTE tech forums say that on the MUSTANG that...

Y headers = more TQ
Longtubes = more HP :notnice:

That makes no sense at all. Don't post bad tech, don't go to corvette forums for Mustang tech. People are here for help...not bad advice. Stick to talk. :nonono:

"Jeg's says" "Corvette forum says" - show us dynograph's to prove a point

Dude shut the **** up! No one makes Tri-Y headers for the Mustang that I know of and I was stating that the Corvette guys say it gives more torque than anyother header, also Jegs says the same thing. So more than likely it is true.

984.6gt said:
According to Jegs, my Pullies, X-Pipe, Intake and Mufflers gave my 98GT 60HP, but they can't be wrong, right? Is that where you got your dyno numbers, by adding up what Jegs advertized for power gains.

No dumbass, what you are thinking of is when Jegs or w/e says "Up to 5hp gain" and you think "Oh boy, I will see 5rwhp!" then a week later when you get it dynoed you see no gain. What I am talking about is Jegs says "Gives the torque of a Tri-Y header" there is no numbers in there so it is not the same thing. Also as I have stated Corvette guys have installed Tri-Y headers and have gotten alot of torque with that setup. I wish you and that other homo would stop trying to start **** in the TECH AREA.