lost low end torque with LT headers

• Sponsors (?)

Ryan02Stang said:
Because people should not come on here and say longtubes make you lose horsepower and torque. Longtubes are a VERY beneficial mod and stupid threads like these scare people away from doing them. :D

Without a doubt, LT headers are the best performance part that I have purchased for my 4.6. I gained 23 rwhp and 28 ft/lbs of torque. After 3000 rpms, the car pulls like crazy. I plan to have my car dynoed again, and this time I will have them take the same measurements: STD Horsepower vs. Speed (mph).

01mgvert said:
Without a doubt, LT headers are the best performance part that I have purchased for my 4.6. I gained 23 rwhp and 28 ft/lbs of torque. After 3000 rpms, the car pulls like crazy. I plan to have my car dynoed again, and this time I will have them take the same measurements: STD Horsepower vs. Speed (mph).
Nice gains!! Be sure to post up the dynographs after you get it dynoed. :nice:

Keep in mind most of these mods really shine in the upper rpms, so even if you don't lose anything down low, the top end is so much more powerful that it makes the low end seem less powerful when it isn't. It's just that there is so much more up top.

hmmm, i would expect bbk 1 5/8" long tubes to increase torque as part of where the 2.25" h-pipe was is now 1 5/8".

i also would expect an other wise stock 4.6 gt getting a swap from the 2.25" h-pipe to a 2.5" h or x-pipe to lose some low end torque until additional mods raise the hp at the flywheel to over 300hp at least according to flowmaster, dynomax and magnaflow.

Headers increase HP and TQ on 4.6L 2V Mustangs, why Monkie brought up the 5.7L PushRod LS1 god only knows, not to menton why he brought up Tri-Y headers which don't exist on the 4.6L mustang is beyond me as well, it had nothing to do with this thread and the question being asked. But to answer your question, your car will be faster in all aspects with the addition of long tube headers, I suggest getting the type designed so that you do not have to pull them off to get the tranny down, makes clutch changes much easier.