Loud noise in bell housing area

2000GTNY

Jun 21, 2005
Albany, NY
My 2000GT has been doing this since about August. It started as an awful squeaking like a pulley was bad, and went away after 5 minutes of warm up time. The car has been idle for a month and I just started it to change the oil. The noise was very prominent and I had the chance to get under the car and listen. It is definitely in the bell housing area, and changes in sound as I push the clutch in. It is not the usual throw out bearing chirp. This is louder and noisy vs. chirping. It doesnt go away by pushing in the clutch. It just changes it a bit.

Any ideas what I should be doing in the spring with it?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Throw out bearing sounds like it is locked up. IF it is, it is grinding on the pressure plate fingers.

Take a marker and put a mark on it throught the throw out arm hole. Have someone bump the starter while you watch it (use a flashlight) if it is locked up, it will be clearly visible.

If the first post is correct, wouldn't I be damaging my pressure plate too?

And, for argument's sake, let's say the TOB is bad. I would certainly want to do the clutch since I'm in there. Is the pressure plate something to do also, or not?

Is there anything else in the bell housing that can make such an awful racket?

IT all depends on how long it has been doing it. IF your in there for a TOB, deff put a new clutch disk in. Only do the pressure plate if it is warped, has small stress cracks, or you want to upgrade. mildly upgraded Mustang clutches are pretty cheap compared to most cars... and you will feel all giddy about having new shiny parts that "could" make you faster.
Also, most aftermarket clutch disks are 50-70% of a full clutch's cost.

So it comes down to your preferance, and wallet.