Low Dyno #'s

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
Ok. I have a 93 Mustang 5.0 (120k), with an auto (doh!). She has a host of mods, such as Full Exhaust (No cats), Alluminum Driveshaft, Cold Air intake, larger throttle body, bumped timing (14 degrees), sub frames, and some misc. other things. I got it dynoed last summer. She made a whopping 177 Rwhp and 246 lb. ft.. That is not what boggles me. I saw another mustang, same year, with an auto, make 190rwhp stock. What gives. With exhaust, and the same mods I currently have, the other car was making 201rwhp, but the most highly boggling fact was that it made LESS tourque than I did. Approximatly 12 less to be exact. What gives. What could be the problem. I know that my Fuel Pump is putting out 44 Psi. I that hindering my performance? If so, though only by 1 or 3 hp. So, any guess's? :bang:

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

TB size may be an issue if too large..also have to consider condition of the engine it self..blowby, general wear, tired engines put up lower numbers. General condition of supporting items..plugs/wires/filers/PCV system...etc. Also your fuel pressue is quite a bit too high...you should be looking at 38LBs with your stock set up. FP too high can significantly affect numbers at WOT creating a rich condition that kicks the numbers down lower than should be..could add up to some serious loss.

Thanks for the reply. I have considered some of what you listed. The plugs are new, wires, and the engine itself has no blowby nor smoke in any way. She is healthy from as far as I know. I do agree that the TB may be too big, but is that the reason for the 23 HP loss? Any more suggestions would help me a lot, as I am tring to get the most bang for the buck.

If TB and FP combine for loss it could very well be some of the answer...you should be seeing about 185-190 as she sits now with the exhaust..the CAI is of no benefit but they look GREAT...get your pressure down and try again.

I'd start at simple stuff...try looking at ur plugs and see what kind of information you can pull off of them. They'll pretty much tell you where you are on A/F, timing, etc... I'd also do base engine stuff while you're pulling the plugs like compression and cylinder leakdown checks. You might as well while you're there. Plus the t-body and FP could be the culprits too.

sorry brah, i will never believe a stock 5.0 with an AOD will put down 190hp at the wheels...

now, about dynoing with an aod.... never gonna get accurate torque readings. when an aod is "locked" in third gear, it still allows the torque converter to multiply some torque, it is not 100% locked, like say an aode/4r70w with a torque converter clutch is....

so, bad torque numbers, well, bad hp numbers.

thanks for the advice, i guess i am going to buy that aftermarket fuel pressure electric gauge after all w/regulator. I will try to re-dyno her this summer and show you guys the results. I will also add pulleys. Thanks guys!! :banana: :banana: :banana: