Lower radiator mystery hose on 66 coupe

I've had my 66 coupe for over 20 years. I replaced the radiator hoses months ago and was surprised the other day when I realized the bottom hose somehow came off the radiator and emptied it out all over my garage floor.

Any ideas what might have caused this other than not tightening the clamp enough?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

you've got the clamp as tight as you can reasonably get it, the radiator cap (13 or 16 psi) is not lifting off it's seat and allowing the radiator to vent its contents into the puke tank or on the ground but the hose is "blowing" off?

need more specifics. "I reattached hose and filled coolant and it blew the hose off again. ", is not a good description of your problem. Did you warm up the car with the cap off? Did it get hot? Did it boil water? Did you check that the hose connection is round and in good shape? did you install the clamp between the lip on the goose neck and the tank? What type of clamp are you using? Any action in the top tank while warming up?

need more specifics. "I reattached hose and filled coolant and it blew the hose off again. ", is not a good description of your problem. Did you warm up the car with the cap off? Did it get hot? Did it boil water? Did you check that the hose connection is round and in good shape? did you install the clamp between the lip on the goose neck and the tank? What type of clamp are you using? Any action in the top tank while warming up?
The car was warmed up and had been idling several minutes with the radiator cap on.Temperature gauge is not working so not sure how hot it got but it definitely was not overheating. The clamp is screw down type and was very tight and on the radiator side of the neck/lip. The last thing I did was to warm the car up without the radiator cap on to check the thermostat but the coolant overflowed from the top of the radiator. Without the pressure the hose stayed on.

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated.

how easily did the hose go on the nipple it is designed for? if ti went on easily, then the hose is too big, and the pressure generated by the cooling system will blow the hose off.