Lowered Mustang Wheel Rub Problem.. Help Please!!!!!!

drummerboy5.0

Jan 3, 2008
Hey everyone..

My car is a 1990 GT, and i am running the 17x9 Cobra R rims with 45 series tires.
With the stock suspension, the wheels rub when turned sharply on the front valance.
when hitting a large bump, the top outer edge of the front tires used to scrape on the inner fender, a problem i solved by pounding in the lip on the inner fender with a small hammer.

I am ordering the BBK Gripp progressive rate lowering springs and a set of tokico HP's and that should drop my car an inch and a half.

My question is...before i install all of this..
Will I have more problems with the 17x9's rubbing the fenders or the valance?? and if so, would caster/camber plates solve the problem? or rolling the fenders properly?

anyone's opinion would be killer!!!

• Sponsors (?)

its def the smaller fender openings....on my 90GT it rubs on the drivers side where you said, but not the passenger side...the reason, is because somebody a long time ago repaired the passenger one with a 91+ fender....its more roomy.

I did roll the lips and it helped.

i assume your running a 245/45 or less...if not thats your problem

That is odd. I have the early fenders on my 81 and 17X9's with 275-40-17's do not rub and 17X8's with a 245-45-17 do not rub either. I have the Steeda Sport Springs.

Well, if you lower it the problem will only get worse. I would just leave the ride height alone.

my exact tire size is 245/45/ZR17 .

I don't really want to change the fenders and try and color match the new ones. I'll cross that bridge if it is the only option, but it sounds like too much of a PITA in my opinion