Suspension LX springs on a GT?

Gs1987GT

Sep 25, 2019
MidAtlantic
Good morning,

I did a search with no results. I'm looking to replace my worn out OEM springs with stock replacements. The ride of my GT is pretty harsh, I'm not sure if that's due to the springs and suspension being worn out or not, but that's my observation. I'm replacing everything when I do the spring work.

Is there any reason I couldn't use LX convertible springs on my GT? Would the ride height be the same? I'm assuming the ride of the LX would be softer, if that's incorrect, please let me know and I'll just get some stock replacement GT springs.

This is strictly a cruiser, so I'm not interested in lowering springs. The car sits too low for my taste with the worn out springs.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

Sincerely,
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

A 5.0 LX would have the same springs as a GT. The 2.3L LX would have softer springs.

Main difference however is the weight of the vehicle changes the length of the spring a tiny bit. Ford put different springs in 5.0 convertibles than it did for 5.0 coupes. The differences is quite small, maybe an extra 1/4 of a coil to compensate for the extra 300-400 lbs in a convertible.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, if your ride is bad in a stock Foxbody, it's probably because everything is worn out. If soft ride is your game, I would just put new stock stuff in it. Could be worn out bushings, shocks, etc. Those cars don't ride hard from the factory.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely. Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes looking for a softer ride. I'll give this some thought. Are there any decent rear control arms with rubber bushings? I like the BBKs but they are poly.

I don't want to beat up the torque boxes so I'd prefer rubber. If not I'll get the BBKs.

Thanks again

Honestly, if your ride is bad in a stock Foxbody, it's probably because everything is worn out. If soft ride is your game, I would just put new stock stuff in it. Could be worn out bushings, shocks, etc. Those cars don't ride hard from the factory.

Kurt

That's what I was thinking too. The stock stuff is all original and the front springs are sagged at least 1.5 or more inches. So much that I have tire rub with the stock turbine wheel's

My plan is a full rebuild front and rear suspensions.

Thanks

That's what I was thinking too. The stock stuff is all original and the front springs are sagged at least 1.5 or more inches. So much that I have tire rub with the stock turbine wheel's

My plan is a full rebuild front and rear suspensions.

Thanks

Glad we are on the same page. I agree with your assesment. Usually when the tires start rubbing it's a combination of spring wear, and control arm bushing wear. When that control arm bushing bolt gets closer to the edge, it rides harder, and the tires rub. You have to be realistic with cars that have been around longer than Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Kurt

Glad we are on the same page. I agree with your assesment. Usually when the tires start rubbing it's a combination of spring wear, and control arm bushing wear. When that control arm bushing bolt gets closer to the edge, it rides harder, and the tires rub. You have to be realistic with cars that have been around longer than Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Kurt

Lol agreed, thanks Sir. Yes and as I was over driving age when these cars were new, that makes me old too, hence my connection with and love for these cars.

Mm sells rubber upper arms for the rear. Ford also sells new axle bushings in rubber. Mm has them too.

For the lower, not much options if you want rubber.

I’m partial to MM stuff.

I realize it’s not cheap stuff
Sounds good, I'll check that stuff out. Thanks. I'm starting with the front, new lower control arms, struts, coil springs, spring insulators, sway bar frame bushings & end links.

Trans and engine mounts

Rear upper and lower control arms, springs, spring insulators, regular and quad shocks and axle bushings. Already ordered and have the MM kit to press them in and out.

Thanks

Once all that's done it's time to drop the trans and do the clutch and rear main engine seal.... then full exhaust....

Have a good weekend guys!

You probably should replace the lower control arms. They were never great to begin with.

Here's a source for some OEM style bushings. I see that the rubber ones are getting tougher to find.

There were many different springs installed at the factory. Sometimes LX 5.0L and GT springs were the same. Sometimes not. I can get a list.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
There were many different springs installed at the factory. Sometimes LX 5.0L and GT springs were the same. Sometimes not. I can get a list.

If you could, please, that'd be great. See this is the source of my confusion and this thread. When I began looking at springs, I saw listings, multiple different places for LX and GT convertible springs. I believe that LMR shows them this way and the GT springs have a half inch or so taller overall, unloaded height.

I'm not sure why that would be unless they are stiffer than the LX or because the GT is typically heavier than the LX? This car, as long as I have it will never be a track car, so I'm looking for a softer ride, as now it's harsh.

The thought that it's due to everything being 33 yrs old now and totally worn out is valid and it may be resolved by simply going back with stock parts. The car has a little over 60k on it, original miles, but the old saying "if mileage don't get it, age will" .... my car is the perfect example of that.

However, I figured it was worth asking here as although I think I know these cars fairly well, I sure don't know it all..... not by a long shot.

Thanks again guys. Have a good Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably should replace the lower control arms. They were never great to begin with.

Here's a source for some OEM style bushings. I see that the rubber ones are getting tougher to find.

Yes Sir, thanks. Yes, agreed, the lowers have flex issues so they will be replaced.

For 1987 model year 5.0L only....

I show the following spring codes and applications:

BBAA - LX coupe/manual
BBBB - GT hatchback/manual, LX hatchback/manual (late)
BBSS - LX coupe/manual, SSP/manual
KKFF - LX coupe/manual
OOAA - LX coupe/manual
OOSS - LX hatchback/manual (early)
PPBB - GT hatchback/auto & manual, GT convertible/manual, LX hatchback/auto & manual (late)
PPSS - GT hatchback/auto, LX coupe/auto (asc only) & manual, SSP/manual
PPTT - GT hatchback/auto & manual
QQCC - GT convertible/auto
RRBB - GT hatchback/auto, GT convertible/auto, LX convertible/auto (early)
RRCC - GT convertible/manual
RRSS - LX coupe/auto (SSP only)
RRTT - GT hatchback/auto, LX convertible/auto (late) & manual

Last edited:
The next thing to help with those codes would be spring rate and heights. I wonder if a TRW actual paper catalog has a chart in the back for that. In your situation, a softer spring with good height would be helpful.
New bushings and the right shock choice are critical. Monroe’s best ride shocks and struts are what I’d recommend to a customer. Take KYB off the table. They make some of the (cheap and high volume) OEM shocks, but the aftermarket ones have been pretty rough for a while. They gave our floating mini van a plumbing truck like ride. Which was ok fully loaded up as a band wagon, but not ok as a soccer or trip cruiser.
A thought on rear control arms and bushings - I have read where the Ford four links depend on some flex not to bind up. As you are not looking for drag strip times, reinforcing the stock arms with plates might be not only cheaper, but the best choice for ride quality with new bushings.

Last edited: