Drivetrain M-7003-Z T5Z trans

Jan 28, 2015
Hello all. Noobie here. Ok so some back ground on the power plant. I have an 82 TTop GT hatch that I converted over to a full roller, eagle 331 stroker kit mahle pistons .040 over Ford X306 heads B CAM edlebrock intake and 650 carb.

I decided to put a T5Z in the car to get rid of the old SROD 4 speed. I bought the Trans and T5 bell housing from American muscle it was delivered last week, I installed it with no issues after driving only 50 miles I was leaving a red light and heard a pop sound and then clanking coming from the transmission. I got the car home and pulled the cover from the clutch arm to see if maybe the throwout bearing or Arm was out of place. And as I thought they were in place and assembled. Clutch is nice and smooth bearing is working properly as I had a helper to crank the car as I viewed the throwout bearing and also had them depress the clutch a few times. This clanking noise can be heard while in neutral if you Rev the engine to 2- 2500rpms. It makes the noise in every gear, but the transmission still shifts smooth and is transferring power as it should just with a clanking noise. Has anyone every heard of a brand new transmission doing this while still in break in period?

• Sponsors (?)

When I dropped the old Trans out I put a new clutch and pressure plate on. New throwout bearing and clutch arm. I also didn't think it was in the Trans at first thats why I pulled the cover for the clutch arm to check all of that first but you can hear and feel a nasty clanking and vibration through the shifter and floor board if you lay your hand on the floor board. I know it's hard to diagnose what's going on without seeing or hearing it, but what are your thoughts monkeybutt2000?

I haven't pulled the Trans back out to eliminate anything else, because Ford Performance which is where American Muscle got the Trans from wants me to go and get a mechanic to do a shop report so that they can start the return process.
Did you raise the rear tires off the floor and run it in gear to verify the noise is coming from the trans?
No but my dad told me to do that very thing. So I will try that next. Thanks.

I would ensure nothing is coming into contact with the chassis first.
I verify nothing is in contact with the chassis yesterday. And plus it wasn't making a sound while driving it around for the first 50 miles. Like I said it made a pop as I let out on the clutch to leave a red light and after that pop the noise is there and you can feel the clanking through the shifter.

Bummer,looks like an internal issue.
I verify nothing is in contact with the chassis yesterday. And plus it wasn't making a sound while driving it around for the first 50 miles. Like I said it made a pop as I let out on the clutch to leave a red light and after that pop the noise is there and you can feel the clanking through the shifter.

Reactions: 1 user
When you replaced the clutch did you replace the pilot bearing?
I didn't and it let go a few hundred miles later, not a pretty site in inside my freashly rebuilt trans.

To be honest I didn't, but my thinking is this motor has less than 800 miles on the rebuild and I didn't see the need to replace the pilot bearing maybe the problem, but the craziest part and I know this may be bad to say but I drove it yesterday to see if it was clanking in all gears it makes the noise worse during deceleration and in 1st and 2nd gear but the transmission is transferring power great and the clutch is working great. It has me confused.

To be honest I didn't, but my thinking is this motor has less than 800 miles on the rebuild and I didn't see the need to replace the pilot bearing maybe the problem, but the craziest part and I know this may be bad to say but I drove it yesterday to see if it was clanking in all gears it makes the noise worse during deceleration and in 1st and 2nd gear but the transmission is transferring power great and the clutch is working great. It has me confused

Alright unless I'm mistaken when the car is shut of you should be bale to cycle through all gears without the use of the clutch correct? Car is garage kept on concrete so ground is solid and level. So the Trans will not go into 1st unless the clutch is depressed. It will go into 2, 3, 4 and reverse without the clutch, but will not go into 5th unless the clutch is depressed.

Also, I have the car on Jack stands with the rear tires off the ground. The clanking is not present in neutral now which is where and as soon as you put the car in gear it goes to clanking and shaking. It honestly sounds like something is bouncing around in the gear housing. It does it worse in 1st and 2nd, but makes the noise in every gear.

It sounds like when you heard that pop something broke inside that trans.
Sorry to say you gotta pull that beeitch out. Just hope it's warranteed.